• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Safe, legal GHB alternatives?

pinwheel

Bluelighter
I am interested in GHB as a sleep aid.
sadly in march of 2000 my gov't made it illegal.
so! any safe/legal alternatives that are similar (affecting the GABA receptor?)? I have heard of 1,4 butadeniol or what not but heard it's the same as antifreeze in automobiles?
no thanks...

Not to be facetious, but seriously - how about leading a balanced life, enabling you to sleep a normal 8 to 10 hours unaided?

don't hang around here posting pointless shite that is irrelevant here.
please go impose your morals in social or somewhere else.

So I found something...
4-pentanolide, sold as "Renewtrient"
"is a breakthrough sleep-aid/mood-enhancer, which, upon ingestion, is converted by the body into a GHB analogue that has been found to bind to the receptor with 15% greater affinity than GHB itself. And, unlike 1,4 butanediol, it is perfectly legal for human consumption. It is also naturally occurring and on the FDA's "Generally Regarded as Safe (G.R.A.S.) list.
Tranquili-G is the tradename for 4-pentanolide (patent pending). Upon ingestion, Tranquili-G is converted via lactonase catalyzed hydrolysis -- the same mechanism by which GBL is converted to GHB (1) -- to the potent GHB analogue, 4-methyl-GHB . 4-methyl-GHB has been found to bind to the GHB receptor with 15% GREATER affinity than GHB itself . Gamma-hydroxybutyrate exerts its effects through specific GHB receptors , thus consumption of a precursor to a compound which binds to the GHB receptor would be expected to result in physiological and psychological effects quite similar to those produced by GHB, such as sedation, reduction of anxiety, and stimulation of growth hormone release.
Tranquili-G is a naturally occurring compound -- -- found in such things as beef, beer, cocoa, coffee, mushrooms, peaches, peanuts, wheat bread, heated butter, and honey. It is perfectly legal for sale and human consumption and already enjoys widespread use as a flavoring agent in candy, meat products, and baked goods. It is on both the FDA's and the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association's (FEMA) Generally Regarded as Safe (G.R.A.S) lists. In addition, it is extremely non-toxic, with an LD50 (the dose that kills 50% of subjects) of 8.8g/kg (4) - this is 200-300 times the effective dose. For comparison, GBL, which is also quite non-toxic, has an LD50 of less than 2g/kg ."
Anyone tried this?

Um... why is Petersko's post pointless, or irrelavent? Because it's not what you want to hear? Because it addresses the problem of why you can't sleep instead of what drug can help you sleep better?
Obviously you need some sleep, because you are grouchy and mean spirited.

never heard of the compound you mention, I'm surprised that "It is perfectly legal for human consumption" as if something has some recreational use potential it is normally legal for uses OTHER than human consumption.
I've been using 1,4 butanediol and it works great for me, i mix it with water or juice because it tastes pretty bad and I haven't had any side effects even if my liver is pretty fucked up by 16+ years of heavy drug use.
-cristina

....I agreee with Pinweel: Petersko go preach somewhere else, this is a drug info message board, why don't you go to N.A. meeetings? You'd find an audience that will applaude your "balanced life" crap.
...just my two cents...
-cristina
p.s. 10 hours sleep is a bit too much for a so called balanced life!

cristina + all G (and g-like substance) users
I have never had long-term sleeping problems but am interested in G not for recreational use but just to exercise parts of my brain I'm not sure get enough use. (gaba receptor)
I was wondering if G causes groginess the next morning (like 5-htp can if taken too late or too high a dose is taken)
Also is there a suggested way to come up and off g? (increasing/decreasing dosages?) Are there any withdrawl symptoms?
Thanks.

Renewtrient is no longer legal in the United States. Tranquili-G is the supposed replacement and is very similar except it does not contain the (now illegal) ingredients 2(3h)-furanone di-hydro, 1,4 tetramethylene glycol, GBL, GHB, or 1, 4 butane-diol.

scott is right, renewtrient hasn't been legal since G was legal.
if you are using it strictly for sleep, try 5htp. it works without leaving you groggy in the mornings.
peace, outkast

I never feel groggy after taking a sleep aid dose of 1,4b ; actually that is my main use for it : I'm a late night kind of person but sometimes I need to get up early for work so I take 2,5 ml of 1,4b to fall asleep earlyer than usual and to wake up very rested and alert.
-cristina

1,4 b is dirty, dirty stuff.
I agree with Blue Lava and Petersko - sleep aids are ridiculous. For about 6 months I was relying on something to put me out every single night - be it 1,4B, Ambien, a selection of Benzos, pot... whatever.
Don't get yourself into this cycle because it's a bitch to break. As soon as I started actually living I found I didn't need these things to sleep.
I'm not preaching I'm stating facts from experience. I like drugs as much as the next person, probably even more but it doesn't mean I have to act like an asshole when someone gives me their advice.
The choice is yours... I just advise you don't go the way I went.

pinwheel - Perhaps you need to lighten up. My statement had nothing to do with morals. You chose to impress that meaning upon my words. Grow up, little boy.
If you were to have said, "I'm trying to find a safe, legal GHB alternative. I'm using it for recreation and/or as a bodybulding aid," I would have tried to help.
But you said, "I am interested in GHB as a sleep aid."
Oh, and Romancat - Seems odd that you see that tiny little post above as preaching. For you to adopt such a defensive attitude so quickly likely means you're ashamed of your drug use.
Incidently, you call Bluelight a "drug info message board". Is it possible you missed the fact that Bluelight was created to aid in "harm reduction"? If you aren't aware of this, perhaps some remedial reading instruction would be of benefit.
Seems to me that the first question pertaining to harm reduction is, "Should I be taking this substance to attain this result?"
[This message has been edited by Petersko (edited 02 August 2001).]

lord...
I was putting my question in context.
Pete- My QUESTION was about safe and legal GHB alternatives.
Pete- if you understood the concept of question and answer you would have ignored my post. If you wanted to tell me you don't recommend GHB or G alternatives as a sleep aid, say that and nothing more. I give not a fuck about your perceptions of what a "balanced life" is.
Final Note/Question:
(Petersko)"If you were to have said, 'I'm trying to find a safe, legal GHB alternative. I'm using it for recreation and/or as a bodybulding aid,' I would have tried to help.
But you said, 'I am interested in GHB as a sleep aid.'"
???????????????????????????????????????????
Anyone out there try G for sleep and become dependent on it? I thought one of the benefits of it was that it is not typically habit-forming (especially when used as a sleep aid).

It's this type of rediculous bickering on every post on this board which is the main reason I rarely post anymore. Have your arguments over your e-mail, so I can read some educational info, instead of a teen-aged drug-induced soap opera.
[This message has been edited by dj_quantum (edited 04 August 2001).]

cristina + all G (and g-like substance) users
I have never had long-term sleeping problems but am interested in G not for recreational use but just to exercise parts of my brain I'm not sure get enough use. (gaba receptor)
I was wondering if G causes groginess the next morning (like 5-htp can if taken too late or too high a dose is taken)
Also is there a suggested way to come up and off g? (increasing/decreasing dosages?) Are there any withdrawl symptoms?
Thanks.
Hi, G has a very short half life (20-40 minutes) Diazepam is in the 50-70 hour range. This means that its out of your body quickly, while on the surface this seems great, no hangover, not lurking to prompt physical addiction. It comes with a serious downside. set and setting are very important to how risky a drug is for dependence. smoked drugs are much more addictive due to the rapid rate of change in brain chemistry. Alcohols slow rate of effect- 30-60 minutes is protective and why it takes a lot longer to get a drinking 'addiction' than a smoking one. Alcohol also effects the same parts of the brain (GABA_ anxiety blocker) the quicker something changes your brain state the higher the potential for dependent/compulsive patterns of use to develop.
This is why short acting benzos are better for sleeping but higher risk for fitting if dependent use develops.
dependent G users need to re-dose hourly and go into withdrawal in 1-2 hours, there is also higher risk of problems, UK now advises inpatient detox only for GHB due to high risk.

rule of thumb, if you take any drug that blocks anxiety (benzo's alcohol or GHB) you will stop naturally producing the blocker and get more and more anxious over time.
Fear 9anxiety) shuts down rational thought= very difficult to unlearn the problematic behaviour.

According to the Global drugs Survey 80% of GHB users have overdosed- its practically normal.
a high dependent dose 2ml hourly is very close to a fatal overdose 3ml