View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Running to break the cycle of drugs

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Running to break the cycle of drugs

In a sense, South Central District Judge David Reich wants people to run away from destructive behavior. He wants them to run for a future healthy lifestyle.

After seeing many people return to Drug Court, he’s trying something different.

In April, Reich launched “Runners Against Destructive Decisions.”

Reich believes it’s necessary to invest time in healthy alternatives to end the cycle of addiction.

The judge has seen groups with similar goals and methods be successful in other places, and he’s determined to make it work in Bismarck.

RADD might remind some of Bismarck native Anne Mahlum’s Back on My Feet efforts. She inspired homeless people to run and through running, helped them get back into society. Her efforts eventually became a $6.5 million nonprofit organization dedicated to challenging and motivating homeless people through running.

There’s no indication that Reich has such a lofty goals. But he’s not aiming low. His group is small at the moment, but he sees growth.

Reich would like to develop a more organized program. He wants participants to work toward a 5K run through an eight-week program.

“We’re hoping this makes them stronger physically, emotionally and mentally to help them deal with their addiction issues,” Reich told Tribune intern Allyson Krupinsky for a Monday story.

The judge believes running creates healthy habits, requires personal commitment and helps runners meet other people.

Some of the runners taking part are there to listen if someone wants to discuss any issues. They are taking time away from their personal lives to help, if possible.

There’s no doubt that programs like RADD are needed.

On Tuesday, Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem briefed legislators on the drug problems in the state, especially in the oil patch.

Stenehjem stressed the need for “education, enforcement and treatment” in battling the drug trade.

One example of education and treatment is Hope Manor. Former defense attorney Judith Roberts opened Hope Manor in January. It’s a sober house for women and she hopes to expand her efforts.

Reich has some interesting plans for RADD.

Once people show a commitment to the program, if they need a good pair of running shoes, RADD will purchase the shoes. The registration fees for any 5K race they plan to participate in will be paid. Other costs for RADD will be minimal. Reich says it won’t be an expensive program.

The judge wants the program to become younger. He wants to involve those in the juvenile court system. But there are confidentiality and liability restrictions to be resolved.

The judge hopes to give RADD some visibility in the community, so he plans a Santa Run.

“Part of what we’re doing is to help people in recovery and to bring awareness to the community about addiction issues in our community,” Reich told the Tribune.

In a Santa Run, every runner wears a Santa suit. Reich has participated in such runs in Minnesota.

The details haven’t been finalized, but the Santa Run is planned for Dec. 13.

RADD supporters hope to see the program expand across the state. And while they are upbeat about it, they are looking for more runners.

RADD meets at 6:30 a.m. every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at Shelter No. 7 in Sertoma Park.

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/opi...cle_9b539cfe-0251-11e4-af34-0019bb2963f4.html

There's nothing more pleasurable for me than going for a nice long trail run after smoking a large joint!

it's all about eliminating the substances that, we on an individual assessment determine, make our lives suck... if there is no problem then why create one rite.

When I quit my addictions, nothing is more helpful than exercise.
It gives me energy, focus, and a feeling of control over my own decisions, and becomes necessary to handle the psychological challenge of living without a crutch.
If I wake up early and exercise, it makes my life good. Simple as that.
When I am detoxing, fasting, or going through withdrawals, exercise saves me.

There's nothing more pleasurable for me than going for a nice long trail run after smoking a large joint!

Yes, I also agree with this.
But running while sober is also really enjoyable. In fact, when I hold off on smoking and run sober, I inevitably feel that I made the right choice afterward.
(What I mean by this: I can't always be high, and when I save it for music, art, poetry, and relaxing with friends, it is the most useful for me.)

Last edited:
^ I love smoking weed before exercise.
The most I ever smoke is 2 hits or so, and I don't think that that amount of smoke noticeably negatively affects my running times or endurance. The energy I get from the cannabis helps, for sure, however.
But, whenever possible, I vape before exercising instead of smoking. It clearly is a healthier way to use cannabis.

^
I almost always hit my vaporizer before I go for a run. Smoking bothered me too much, so vaporizing agrees with my body much more. Considering how simple it is and how little is required to do it, it's probably one of the most pleasurable activities I do (or used to do). It's even better when you're in good shape.

I've been working out, but I really do miss running and would like to get back into it. With muscle memory and me being in good shape otherwise, I think it shouldn't be too hard.

Just glimpsed the article as I'm walking out the door for work right now, but this seemed like a really good idea and a cool concept. It's different and it seems to be aiming to go in a better, healthier direction. A few stride lengths ;) better than going for more restrictive punishments.

I can't argue with adding positive replacments for drug abuse, but I was long a runner before I ever began abuse.

For me though I still bike approx 50 miles a week and run 12 to 20. Its all about balance though. I used to run 40 miles a week, eat not carbs to get my weight way down, but now I rather work out in moderation and blend in a mix of pleasentries like perks, opanas and a small daily dose of dex. If I didnt work out, I would definately use way way more.... running makes chemicals in my brain that makes me feel good... same as pills.