• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Rubidium Chloride?

Aqlis

Discord Admin; Peas & Pasta Czar
Staff member
Friend of mine was wondering if anyone has taken rubidium chloride?

claim it is "stimmy and apparently safe. Entirely unscheduled"
image.png

I'm no biology expert, but taking a drug that is radioactive and also potentially disrupts/elevates potassium blood levels does not sound like a good idea.

One experimental study doesn't demonstrate safety.

If you actually read that paper, the scientists had much difficulty even finding a doctor willing to prescribe it to the study patients, and the study was quickly discontinued due to the side effects (which do not sound pleasant; agitation, anxiety, bradycardia, skin rashes, diarrhea, etc) . Combined with its very long half life, toxicity from repeat dosing was a huge concern.

Interesting, though.

I'm no biology expert, but taking a drug that is radioactive and also potentially disrupts/elevates potassium blood levels does not sound like a good idea.

One experimental study doesn't demonstrate safety.

If you actually read that paper, the scientists had much difficulty even finding a doctor willing to prescribe it to the study patients, and the study was quickly discontinued due to the side effects (which do not sound pleasant; agitation, anxiety, bradycardia, skin rashes, diarrhea, etc) . Combined with its very long half life, toxicity from repeat dosing was a huge concern.

Interesting, though.

I agree with everything you said but just want to make a few minor corrections. firstly, the rubidium used as a supplement is not the radioactive isotope so it poses no radiation related risk. also, rubidium, does not elevate potassium at least directly, because it is a different element. however, the rubidium ion is almost identical in atomic structure to potassium. this means the cells of the body will take up rubidium just as if it was potassium. interestingly, rubidium behaves similarly but not identical to potassium in biological systems and this is where some problems may occur. for example, some potassium, ion channels may be able to pass rubidium through them without a problem and the intended function may be carried out. on the other hand, certain potassium requiring enzymes may be absolutely dependent on this ion. The minuscule difference in the size/charge of the rubidium atom could make it incompatible with the enzyme. By substituting for potassium, rubidium may act as an inhibitor of such enzymes.

From what I’ve read on this topic, rubidium seems to be an interesting but pretty much impractical biologically active substance. I think there’s a common misconception that rare/unusual minerals must have special medicinal properties.