• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Ron Paul Blames Psychotropic Drugs For “American Sniper” Murder And Other Mass Shoot

Based on my own experience with Rx psychotropic medications intended for (among other things) PTSD, I did notice a definite lowering of my inhibitions while on an SSRI at one point, as well as a Benzodiazepine.

I'm not all that familiar with the incident which led to Kyle and his buddy being killed, but regardless, the shooter's psych meds might have also had a similar effect on him - possibly. And combine that with an intense flashback in the wrong place at the wrong time and this may be the end result.

One thing's for sure - to fully train and send someone with (what sounds like) severe mental issues into a war zone half way around the planet and expect him to be alright afterwards is a little too optimistic.

It's terrible that Kyle died. that being said I would just like to say that the movie based on his life was just a giant circle jerk for America. "The Expendables" had more compelling scenes than this, and twice the action.

Actually their is a good deal of research that documents a period of increased side effects during the stabilization phase after starting an SSRI or SNRI. Many people feel worse for two weeks until the medications start to balance out. That is partly when SSRI's have been linked with suicidal or violent behavior. This is also documented in the medication packets they provide to individuals taking these medications. Now antipsychotics are majorly sedating and I have never seen them make someone more violent.

Actually their is a good deal of research that documents a period of increased side effects during the stabilization phase after starting an SSRI or SNRI. Many people feel worse for two weeks until the medications start to balance out. That is partly when SSRI's have been linked with suicidal or violent behavior. This is also documented in the medication packets they provide to individuals taking these medications. Now antipsychotics are majorly sedating and I have never seen them make someone more violent.

Could you link me to some of that research? My understanding is that this has never actually been demonstrated in a clinical trial, but those warnings are included in the medication packets to preempt any potential litigation.

The most comprehensive data I've been able to find come from the Netherlands where they've had extensive medical tracking systems for decades, allowing them to perform comparisons of HUGE numbers of people. This report used data from over 12 million people and didn't find anything that could support that theory: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22395429