• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Roman Catholicism doctrine-dogma compared to reformist churches such as The church of England and Protestant churches

Boku_

Bluelighter
Sorry if the following questions make me seem a bit ignorant and daft as the Irish would say

I am a member of the church of England Anglican church but I never really went to Sunday school.

My local church as a female Vicar. Her name is Vanessa. What would be the correct term to address Vanessa the Vicar when talking to her or referring to her with some of the other parishioners? Is Reverend Vanasse or Vicar Vanessa both suitable?

Are both terms suitable for addressing a male Anglican priest?

I know using the term Father isn't suitable

What exactly is the role of Archdeacon? What is the correct term to address or refer to a Archdeacon?

Is archbishop of Canterbury the head of the world wide church of England or just a certain Anglican diocese?

Does the Anglican church use the terms diocese and and parish? If I had to guess I would say that the church of England does.

Also please explain how salvation is archieved by God's grace alone. Is it the belief in the grace of God as our Lord who offers forgiveness further more the acception of Jesus Christ being my/our Saviour and Lord who died on the cross for man kinds sins and ressurected to rise from the dead and transcend to heaven thus offering all Christians forgiveness, redemption and eternal life.

Although I was confirmed at Anglican church here in Melbourne Australia ( 30 years ago, I'm a old bastard) and did complete all of the church of England sacraments/riturals I attended a Catholic primary and secondary school.

so my religious education was taught mostly by a Roman Catholic priest and Edmund Rice Christian Brothers so I mix up some aspects and doctrine/dogma of the reformist church of England faith and Roman Catholicism.

But correct me if I'm wrong the main fundamental difference between my faith in a reformist church like the church of England is the belief that Jesus's mother Mary was not a virgin when the immaculate conception occured
( I'm not sure but do reformist churches use the term immaculate? I'm not sure)

And two other differences between reformist churches and Roman Catholicism is that a Catholic can be a lay Catholic that isn't a practicing Catholic but such a thing as a lay Anglican or lay protestant or lay Lutheran doesn't exist, in other words even if you never go to church it doesn't matter you remain a member of the faith and church you were raised in the only requirement is if you believe in our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ you are still a good Anglican/Protestant Christian?

That and I can get a divorce if my marriage doesn't work out

And I know with the Protestant/Presbyterian/Uniting church it doesn't matter what sin you commit if you believe Jesus Christ is your saviour then you are saved! Period.

Is that true of the church of England too?

One last question how does a Anglican priest absolut a parishioners act of sin to help the said church of England member achieve redemption and salvation? Some form of confession? A blessing

I didn't think Anglicans did the whole confessional Booth thing like in the Catholic church. How I know about Catholic church confessional booths is from the Leo DiCaprio movie The basketball diaries.

Sorry if the following questions make me seem a bit ignorant and daft as the Irish would say

I am a member of the church of England Anglican church but I never really went to Sunday school.

My local church as a female Vicar. Her name is Vanessa. What would be the correct term to address Vanessa the Vicar when talking to her or referring to her with some of the other parishioners? Is Reverend Vanasse or Vicar Vanessa both suitable?
You would call her Reverend (surname). If she said ‘call me Vanessa’, you’d call her Reverend Vanessa. Vicar is more like a job title than an honorific.
Are both terms suitable for addressing a male Anglican priest?
Male and Female priests are referred to the same way. But when referring to them in the third person you say ‘The Reverend Mr. / Mrs / Ms (surname).
I know using the term Father isn't suitable
That’s
What exactly is the role of Archdeacon? What is the correct term to address or refer to a Archdeacon?

Archdeacon’s are referred to as ‘The Venerable’ in the third person. Archdeacon is addressing directly.
Is archbishop of Canterbury the head of the world wide church of England or just a certain Anglican diocese?
The Anglican Church is decentralised and does not have a global heirarchy the way Catholics do. However the Archbishop of Canterbury is seen as the symbolic head of the Anglican church - though he lacks formal administrative authority over other dioceses.
Does the Anglican church use the terms diocese and and parish? If I had to guess I would say that the church of England does.
Yes
Also please explain how salvation is archieved by God's grace alone. Is it the belief in the grace of God as our Lord who offers forgiveness further more the acception of Jesus Christ being my/our Saviour and Lord who died on the cross for man kinds sins and ressurected to rise from the dead and transcend to heaven thus offering all Christians forgiveness, redemption and eternal life.
Anglicans do not believe salvation is achieved by God’s grace alone. They believe it is achieved by living a christian life as taught by and participating in the sacraments. Basically same as Catholics do.
Although I was confirmed at Anglican church here in Melbourne Australia ( 30 years ago, I'm a old bastard) and did complete all of the church of England sacraments/riturals I attended a Catholic primary and secondary school.

so my religious education was taught mostly by a Roman Catholic priest and Edmund Rice Christian Brothers so I mix up some aspects and doctrine/dogma of the reformist church of England faith and Roman Catholicism.

But correct me if I'm wrong the main fundamental difference between my faith in a reformist church like the church of England is the belief that Jesus's mother Mary was not a virgin when the immaculate conception occured
( I'm not sure but do reformist churches use the term immaculate? I'm not sure)
Anglicans generally respect Mary but do not venerate her as a source of salvation the way Catholics do. Generally they believe that the immaculate conception is possible but it cannot be church dogma/official teaching because there is no authority in scripture for it.

Low church Anglicans have tended to avoid celebrating or honouring Mary in any way. However many High Church Anglicans accept the whole virgin birth thing and treat her as worthy of honour but not as a source of salvation.
And two other differences between reformist churches and Roman Catholicism is that a Catholic can be a lay Catholic that isn't a practicing Catholic but such a thing as a lay Anglican or lay protestant or lay Lutheran doesn't exist, in other words even if you never go to church it doesn't matter you remain a member of the faith and church you were raised in the only requirement is if you believe in our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ you are still a good Anglican/Protestant Christian?
For both Catholics and Anglicans, if you are baptised you are forever a member of the church. However in both a person may be excommunicated under special Church laws and dismissed from the Church.

Lay simply means ‘not clergy’. All members of the chuch who do not hold a clerical position (eg priest or deacon or nun) are said to be lay members. However lay members can be given some clerical responsibilities like giving communion but the cannot administer or perform any sacraments.
That and I can get a divorce if my marriage doesn't work out
Anglican yes. Catholic maybe. Catholics don’t have divorce but they do have other ways to dissolve a marriage under certain circumstances. It’s not easy though.
And I know with the Protestant/Presbyterian/Uniting church it doesn't matter what sin you commit if you believe Jesus Christ is your saviour then you are saved! Period.

Is that true of the church of England too?
No. You still require the sacraments. But the Anglicans are not as rigorous about it as the Catholics because they have less laws and dogma defining such things.
One last question how does a Anglican priest absolut a parishioners act of sin to help the said church of England member achieve redemption and salvation? Some form of confession? A blessing
Confession and absolution are part of the Anglican tradition same as Catholics.
I didn't think Anglicans did the whole confessional Booth thing like in the Catholic church. How I know about Catholic church confessional booths is from the Leo DiCaprio movie The basketball diaries.

Low church Anglicans have tended to avoid celebrating or honouring Mary in any way. However many High Church Anglicans accept the whole virgin birth thing and treat her as worthy of honour but not as a source of salvation
What's the difference between a high church Anglican and a low church Anglican?

You still require the sacraments. But the Anglicans are not as rigorous about it as the Catholics because they have less laws and dogma defining such things.
What are the sacraments? What's the Anglican version of the Catholic First holy communion called? Just simply Communion? Or Eucharist?

I know baptism, Eucharist, confirmation, I vaguely remember doing them, but isn't there a sacrament everyone does in their mid to late teens that involves sexual intercourse?

Why is there sectarian tensions between Catholics and protestants in much of Ulster county northern Ireland, Scotland and Northern England?

But in Donegal Ireland as well in the rest of the republic of Ireland there's no real sectarian tensions?

One other question, why in 2021 do hardline Protestants (especially in Northern Ireland) think the pope is the anti Christ?

Where as church of England/church of Ireland Anglicans are no where as near anti Catholic?