• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ritalin or Adderall?

singbluesilver

Greenlighter
Hello everyone,

I am new to bluelight and I have some questions about Ritalin vs. Adderall. Can anyone tell me your experiences? Does Ritalin really have the same effect on the brain as Cocaine? Or is Adderall a better bet for energy, focus, euphoria, etc.?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

PS- I currently take 60 mg. Ritalin per day...

Welcome aboard. New Member Introductions is normally made more for an introduction on who you are as a Greenlighter. A question like this would probably be better for Other Drugs or Basic Drug Discussion.
If you do some searching around you may find a lot of info on what you're asking about right now.
A mod will probably end up moving this thread for you. But I recommend if you plan to stick around on Bluelight then you come back to NMI and make a thread telling us who you are :)

Methylphenidate and cocaine are DRI's, so their effects will be similar, but not identical.

I believe most people would prefer amphetamines; generally less anxiety, longer duration.

^For a lot of people, that is the exact case. Methylphenidate (and ethylphenidate, for that matter) both do feel similar to cocaine, but not the same. Specifically, Ritalin (methylphenidate) is a NDRI and cocaine is a SNDRI (or Triple Reuptake Inhibitor). Amphetamines are dopamine and norepinephrine releasers. Methamphetamine's mechanism of action involves a signficant serotonin release as well. As Captain.Heroin said, amphetamines have a considerably longer duration than both methylphenidate and cocaine. Many people find this to be more effective for ADD/ADHD and studying purposes.

I'm going to move this over to Basic Drug Discussion since its a dosing comparison/conversion thread.

As Laika said, you're welcome to create another thread in New Member Introductions to just introduce yourself, of course :)

NMI --> BDD

Last edited:
When snorted, the Ritalin high is very similar to cocaine (IMO) but not nearly as euphoric or intense. I think it's a better high than snorting adderall, in all honesty. But you feel like shit when it's over and it's so short lived that I prefer adderall. Also like cocaine, I find myself compulsively redosing ritalin (line after line after line), but never have that problem with adderall

For legitimate purposes (studying) I find ritalin to be bullshit compared to adderall. I eat my pills when I'm gonna be studying, and ritalin makes me so figidity and you can feel the rise and fall of the drug. Adderall is smoother, lasts longer, and makes me more focused.

i've always heard adderall >> ritalin
personally only tried adderall though. All my friends seemed to prefer adderall to ritalin both for abuse and for studying

both are bad in excess though, and if you are new to stims then take it easy with both of them; the come down can be mighty fierce!

Last edited:
^Indeed. I have extensive experience with amphetamines (not just Adderall, which is a mixture of dextroamphetamine and levoamphetamine), methylphenidate and cocaine. They all have their positives and negatives. In the end, you gotta find what works for you. Cocaine is not effective for studying. There are extended-release versions of methylphenidate (and dextromethylphenidate) that work very well for some people.

Dexedrine is much better than both Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts 25% levoamphetamine, 75% dextroamphetamine) and Ritalin (methylphenidate), but if you have to pick between the two, definitely go with Adderall. Ritalin sucks, frankly.

i think its a basis of opinion rather than fact here.

i find that the methylphenidate high is much more potent but extremely short lived, and if abused for longer than say a day i get extremely depressed and shaky if i try to use it recreationally again. the side effects are much more apparant on a high ritalin dose - my chest feels funny etc etc. but then again that hour of pure bliss is great. i find myself redosing both extremely compulsively if i use them recreationally - ritalin much more so to begin with, but amphs are a much more moorish high, i feel the need to redose d-amph if i'm snorting it within 5 minutes of taking the previous line.

for a long term recreational substance - in my experience, d-amph is the way to go.

ritalin is INCREDIBLE short term. i'm talking 2-3 days of binge. then you need to recover for an extended period of time, in my experience about a month before any euphoria is present.

i find if i combine ritalin + 150mg of 5-htp, i am hit with endless waves of euphoria for about an hour, and the crash isn't as fucking awful than if i'd taken it on its own too. then again the 5-htp loses its efficacy relatively quickly too, a week maximum. i believe that serotonin is depleted majorly with ritalin use hence why 5-htp restores its euphoric properties (briefly)

the crash from methylphenidate is beyond awful. worse than cocaine, and amphetamines, even put together. it's essentially hell - and it seems never ending. re-dosing helps briefly but exaserbates the symptoms later on as well. find a benzo (or sedating anti-histamine) and you should be fine.

my doseage to begin with was 81mg of the concertas chewed followed by 27mg an hour later. that led to a binge of over 200mg within the space of a few hours. the next day i binged harder. it seems psychotic symptoms can occur too with these high doses - and the side effects are amplified even harder. be careful with MPH if you're using it recreationally. if you crash too hard you'll kill the high forever.

impulsive re-dosing seemed to amplify the high rather than keep it constant - every time i redosed it would come on stronger and harder for an hour. towards the end of the night my vision got blurry - i couldnt focus on ANYTHING and was beyond miserable too. 27mg more of concerta removed those side effects temporarily though - but it was plain stupid of me.

another thing i've found about the ritalin high is that my appetite is non existant. if i try to eat i will gag or throw up. even on the crash i still feel sick to the stomach even thinking about food. be careful with MPH - find your correct dose, and you will fly. it requires a lot of fine tweaking though. adderall is much more simple, but if you can dose correctly and at the correct time - MPH's high is extremely intense.

that's just my opinion though. i found the high stronger than cocaine's too, and i've had a fair share of relatively decent quality coke.

ritalin's high is much more different to amphetamines. the music loving properties of amphetamines are not really present, although listening to music is sometimes quite enjoyable on a ritalin high - i usually sit extremely still and float away.

also - if you plan on sleeping after a ritalin high - good luck. it takes about 12 hours from my last dose to fall asleep properly. and abour 8 hours of those are excruciating agony if i don't have promethazine or a benzo.

avoid caffeine too. cigarettes are awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies, in advance for reviving an old/dead thread. But, this is something I have a strong opinion on and experience with.
The OP never gave a context for their question, but did give what I assume is a prescribed daily does, so I will assert my own: Actual therapeutic use, and if SWIY imbues now and again, some very minor recreational abuse. I have ADD. I know 'ADD' is no longer the medically accepted term, but my diagnosis is ADHD presenting without hyperactivity. So, aside from the wordy explanation of why ADD is personally more apt, I prefer the shorter ADD rather than ADHD with the blob of text that essentially negates the 'H.'
I am a freak, and my physiology does not respond to Adderall as well as Ritalin. I wish it was not this way because I have been on both and Adderall is way better. On Ritalin I have to plan when I will eat, remember to keep hydrated, remain aware of when I plan on going to bed in relation to my dosing schedule, and make an obnoxiously mindful effort to remain social. On Adderall, I can take naps, eat when normal people do, and I feel like myself. Amphetamines do not affect my body as much, for as long, or as well as MPH. Regardless of what I eat, even on an alkaline diet, I end up eliminating amphetamines quickly, and for ADD require a high dose that barely lasts the 3hr interval for instant release MPH. I also have very bad ADD, my former education and current career require a level of attentiveness and concentration, so I need stable medicating. So.... MPH. When I was on Adderall I still felt like myself in every respect, and able to focus like I know I should be able to. Problem is, due to my physiology, I needed a super high does for therapeutic effect, and the side effects of such a high does ended up becoming a problem.
If the OP was asking about therapeutic use, my answer is this: Stick to an instant release regime, manage the dosing yourself, do not use the medication to artificially extend your day or with the intent to elevate your mood.
From what I know, both chemicals suck as far as recreational use goes. I also do not care for stims as a recreational chem, so I am biased.

Dexedrine is much better than both Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts 25% levoamphetamine, 75% dextroamphetamine) and Ritalin (methylphenidate), but if you have to pick between the two, definitely go with Adderall. Ritalin sucks, frankly.
I have been on dexexdrine spanules before, and while it provides less anxiety and barely any come down, I feel that it lacks that magic kick that adderall provides being having the l-amp, and amphetamine mixture. Many times I questioned if it even kicked in or works, but when I scratched my scalp, yes I got the tingles. Idk, many people I talked to agree that dexedrine seems lacking...this post is just MY opinion.