• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Ritalin dangerous side effects

mitjagasperin

Greenlighter
Hi. I am taking Ritalin for ADHD and I am taking 4x5mg a day. I am experiencing mild chest pain that does not stop after the dose wears off.

I am asking how often does chest pain occur as a side effect of Ritalin and whether I should be worried about it since Ritalin is sometimes fatal if you have heart problems.

Hi there and welcome to BL. Chest pains can indicate any number of things, from heart issues to muscle pains, and it is not normal to get chest pains from using ritalin.

Unfortunately we can't give you any medical guidance online though, as I'm sure you can appreciate, and if you're worried about your chest pains, you really should seek medical attention and/or speak to the doctor prescribing your medication.

Tell your prescribing doc; he'll likely prescribe you an ECG to determine for sure whether there's any sort of cardiac issue. IIRC though, an ECG is standard procedure before initiating treatment with any stimulant, precisely to rule out that kind of problem.

I get bad chest pains with my adderall. If I take my prescribed 60mg a day and am on me feet all day at work moving around I get severe chest pains. It is deep in my body like somebody is squeezing my heart, and i have this very unpleasant almost itching sensation that feels like its located right behind my heart. My left arm/shoulder feels tight and I start sweating. I usually need a benzo to calm down. It's pretty scary now that I think about it.

Turns out to be simple muscle pain that corellated excactly with my starting to take Ritalin. Thanks for your answers.
Is dependence of stimulants rising separately? Could you take them in a sequence to reduce dependence? Like day 1:Ritalin day 2:Strattera day3:Concerta?

That's very good to hear. I'm glad you were able to figure it out.
I dont believe Atomoxetine is a stimulant though. It is a NRI and to some extent an SRI.
Although I would take a few days off the MPH to allow dopamine levels to replenish before dosing again.
I am also not too sure if there are any interactions between MPH and Straterra. I know that MAOIs and indirect catecholamine releasers should be avoided while on it to avoid toxic build up of norepinephrine or serotonin, but am not too sure about directly acting stimulants.

Is dependence of stimulants rising separately? Could you take them in a sequence to reduce dependence? Like day 1:Ritalin day 2:Strattera day3:Concerta?
Ritalin and Concerta are the same compound, the only difference between them being the time-release mechanism. You can think of Concerta basically as an extended release Ritalin, so taking one will also increase your tolerance to the other.

Chest pain is not normal at all. You should always contact your doctor if you are experiencing pain. If you are unsure of the reason for the pain, going to the hospital is a good idea.