• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Risk management tips for MAOI selection for ayahuasca?

CrazyEngineer

Bluelighter
So, I'm interested in trying ayahuasca (oral DMT, combined with an MAOI to allow for oral metabolism), and I was wondering what people would suggest for me to use as an MAOI for this. I'm aware that a number of traditional preparations are made with Syrian rue (and thus contain harmala alkaloids, which I believe are reversible MAO-A inhibitors); I was wondering about using passionflower as opposed to Syrian rue (I believe passionflower also contains MAOIs, but I'm unaware on the relative potency of passionflower compared to Syrian rue). Similarly, I was wondering about using moclobemide (Aurorix), which is a prescription-only reversible MAO-A inhibitor, or some of the older, nonselective irreversible MAOIs. My big concern here has to do with the risks associated with inhibiting monoamine oxidase; as far as I'm aware nonselective MAOIs have a long list of side effects, a massive pile of drug interactions, and present a reasonably serious risk of hypertensive crisis if combined with the wrong foods. I've heard that reversible MAO-A inhibitors (RIMAs) have a much less scary side effect and interaction profile, but they also don't necessarily sound like substances I'd want to take in significantly higher doses than what's necessary. Ideally, I'd like people to comment about the utility of RIMAs vs regular MAOIs, as well as dosing guidelines to minimize unwanted side effects.

Passionflower is definitely not enough for Ayahausca, I'd just go for something with Harmala alkaloids if I were you, it's the closest to the "real" ayahausca experience. If you have any concerns over nausea then yes, Moclobemide is used a lot. I think a google search on "pharmahausca" will tell you more than I can about that particular route.

One thing I will say though, is that I wouldn't try the MAOIs of old. As you say the interactions are far too dangerous, and who wants to miss cheese in his life? There's a reason the psychiatric community stopped prescribing those, and they are usually not too nitpicky about side-effects.