• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Tolerance Reverse Tolerance to Cannabis

Dreamflyer

Bluelighter
Has anybody else had this problem?

When I was younger, I could smoke myself silly all night long. The stronger, the better. To the point where my friends were on the floor and I still wanted more.

Now that I'm in my 50's, the tiniest little pinch can send me into a panic attack. Even if it's a low THC/high CBD Indica strain.

It's a shame because it helps a lot with my depression, poor appetite and insomnia. But it's just not worth the initial panic that occurs after I smoke. I take anxiety medication too, but even that doesn't prevent it.

I've made the sad decision that it's time to break up with Mary Jane. :cry:

Peace, Love and Faith,
Dreamflyer

Yeah, it's quite common, there are a few threads on this topic. It seems to happen to a lot of people past age 30, myself included.

I smoked heavily for 15 years, I could eat 1000mg of edibles and not feel any hint of anxiety.

But now it just feels so much stronger. It also seems a lot more difficult to build tolerance to a point where it's less uncomfortable.

I still enjoy it to some degree, and use almost daily, but can only take 0.05g hits or 4mg of edibles before it gets a little too much and I have anxiety.

I think past drug use contributed to this, but it's also a change that happens to people who don't use other drugs.

the mindset can definitely change in most people (not all, some people remain carefree and oblivious to everything for a lifetime, i guess they say ignorance is bliss afterall lol)
So there is also a good chance that you just have too much adulting stuff on your mind to actually enjoy your high. The best way to figure out if this is the case is to try to have a very productive week and then try to partake.
The other mistake that lots of older users do is they tend to fly back into it and you say a pinch but try just having one or two puffs to start off then see how you feel just pretend you are a first timer again
If all this fails though there is a chance that youd body has just changed and you cant enjoy it at this moment but rest assured it might change again later on and you will enjoy it once again

Wow yea I can really relate, I just saw what you wrote under my post about this too. I started at like age 11 & smoked for yeaaaarsss & now at 39 same thing started to happen to me

I can also relate with you about the insomnia & appetite ect … ay ay ay

Sending you support & many blessings 💜

Is your life situation stressful? I was going through some pretty heavy shit back then, and i believe my life situation had as much to do with me losing it as the weed itself.

So there is also a good chance that you just have too much adulting stuff on your mind to actually enjoy your high.
That's probably a big part of the problem. After years of poly-drug addiction (alcohol, benzos, opioids), my life is in complete disarray right now. I'm over 50, live with my mother, have no car, no job and not even a bank account or credit card. I'm working hard to put my life back together, but I know it won't happen overnight.

20 years ago I had a great corporate office job, several promotions, a beautiful home, new car, etc. I let drugs and alcohol take that all away from me.

I've also suffered from bipolar depression, anxiety/panic disorder and OCD my entire life. I tend to freak out over things even when there's nothing to worry about, like a routine visit to the dentist.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for all of your kind replies and advice. ❤️

Peace, Love & Faith,
Dreamflyer

This has happened to me in the past. I was a heavy daily smoker in those days. At some point my highs got more and more trippy, which was fun until i went full on psychotic and had to be put on neuroleptics to regain my sanity.
I know what you mean, in the weeks leading up to my own psychosis I started needing less to get high, and the highs started getting very weird. Although it wasn't from cannabis, it likely contributed somewhat.

At least in my case the anxiety I get now isn't due to that, it seems to be a different neurological factor. I've also had alcohol induced psychosis on different occasions, but it's more transitory in nature and stops once I sober up.

I'm curious, how much were you smoking and drinking? How long did it last?

Is your life situation stressful? I was going through some pretty heavy shit back then, and i believe my life situation had as much to do with me losing it as the weed itself.
Absolutely. When it happened to me I was overwhelmingly stressed, sleep deprived and malnourished. These things can cause psychosis on their own without drugs.

Idk if it’s really reverse tolerance or just cuz of all-round lifestyle changes but I used to smoke & eat weed 24/7 and could do huge amounts of weed or concentrates and feel great but after a long pause I in fact felt high CBG, low THC weed really fine and really potent regular stuff felt almost too much which never happened before (even when I first started smoking). So yeah, there’s something to it.

I think that like anything, there's a right & wrong way to use almost anything. Marathon runners have died from brain swelling because they chug a gallon of water after a race and their kidneys can't process it quickly enough. Does that mean that water itself is bad? Of course not!

You just need to know how you're using it, why you're using it, and how it reacts with your own personal mind/body chemistry.

I don't think that cannabis itself is bad in any way. I just know that it has not been agreeing with me very well lately, so I need to rethink my relationship with it for the time being.

When I was young and "indestructible", I think that I took it for granted and abused it way much more than I should have. It was a party drug to me. I have much more respect for the plant now.

Much Love,
Dreamflyer

When I was young and "indestructible", I think that I took it for granted and abused it way much more than I should have. It was a party drug to me. I have much more respect for the plant now.
Remember, its not all about what you did then and what you do now