• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Reusing Single-Use Vial

outthewindow

Greenlighter
I recently purchased a sterile vial of ketamine to inject, but I noticed it doesn't have a preservative---just ketamine and water. If I puncture the rubber top to take out one dose, is the whole vial contaminated or can I store it and take another dose in a few days or weeks? I can't imagine any bacteria could get in if I disinfect the top with alcohol, insert a sterile syringe, and remove it quickly. If that's the case though, why would multi-use vials use preservatives? For years I've been injecting powder ketamine (dissolved in boiled tap water) and I've never had a problem, but could reusing a single-use vial be more dangerous because bacteria grow better in water? Would refrigerating or freezing (if I leave room for the water to expand) the vial help? Could I add a little benzyl alcohol and then reuse it?

Hmmmm...I think if you use a fresh, sterile syringe, wipe the syringe tip or rubber top of vial with an antiseptic like alcohol, pierce, pull the dose, remove, then wipe the rubber top again, you'll be as close to aseptic as you can reasonably get.

I know this is the same as saying "abstinence is the only way to prevent pregnancy", but I would just not use this ROA to be safe. Isn't ketamine in vials for veterinary purposes?

Im diabetic, have been for 11 years and use humalog in a vial and never had any problem with my insulin or syringes being non sterile, i havent used alcohol swabs in atleast 5 years to clean anything i use. I just grab my syringe, poke thru the rubber, pull out, inject. Never ever had a bacterial problem

You use be syringes? Almost all syringe brands are packaged sterile be has as added bonus that each syringe has a separate sterile tip which only becomes exposed once you snap the cap off

I do use sterile syringes, so the only way I can imagine bacteria getting in would be if a few bacteria attached to the syringe from the air right after I opened the package, then they multiplied in the solution. I see that Humalog has several ingredients besides insulin and water---do you know if any of them are preservatives? Are the vials you use meant for single or multiple use? The intended use for my ketamine vial is a single use, then the user is supposed to throw away the rest of the vial. That seems awfully wasteful to me, so I'm wondering if it's really necessary

I'm not an IV user, but I think you'll have a miniscule chance of infection if you do what Phil.McKeer suggested