• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Restoril and klonopin together?

Maddyhat13

Greenlighter
Hello,

For 14 years, I've been on 2mg of klonopin. 1mg during the morning/noon. And 1mg at night. I was having lots of trouble sleeping so my same doctor added 30mg of restoril for sleep at night along with 1mg of klonopin.

Two pharmacists have frowned upon this, even saying "you'll go to bed and not wake up."

So, has anyone taken this combo and what are your thoughts on combining benzodiazepines? Thanks so much.

Hi, welcome to Bluelight! I haven't taken these two simultaneously myself but have experience with other benzos. I've been prescribed temazepam/restoril and used Xanax (that was not prescribed), also tried it with etizolam. What happened is my tolerance went way high and found myself unable to sleep because of this. Since you have been on klonopin for a long time, I can see your doctor thinks that it's safe to take together.

The pharmacist is looking out for your safety and that's not a bad thing. Years ago, I was on a few different psych meds and went to a different pharmacy. This man was like yours and told me "this is how Elvis died" and would not fill them until he spoke with the doctor himself. Being that you're taking 1 mg klonopin at the same time, I think you would sleep well. Actually, 15 mg would probably do the trick. Maybe someone with experience with this combo could chime in and say how it made them feel.

Hello,

For 14 years, I've been on 2mg of klonopin. 1mg during the morning/noon. And 1mg at night. I was having lots of trouble sleeping so my same doctor added 30mg of restoril for sleep at night along with 1mg of klonopin.

Two pharmacists have frowned upon this, even saying "you'll go to bed and not wake up."

So, has anyone taken this combo and what are your thoughts on combining benzodiazepines? Thanks so much.
I have a bit of experience with this combo. It's not unsafe due to your tolerance so you should be good just don't exceed one pill of the temazepam and don't add more of your kpins. You may want to wait many hours before taking the temazepam as well, just to be safe. I've taken them both together, had no problems, felt buzzed and happy I didn't even pass out but I did get great sleep, that I will say. You may want to not take as much clonazepam when you want to take the temazepam. As T. Calderone said, it will increase your tolerance pretty fucking fast man so try to take less of the kpins like I stated before to prevent you from getting too high of a tolerance- this making it very hard to get any form of effect from your medications. Don't take opiates with the mixture and for sure NEVER drink EVER! If you do then you really may not wake up... So be safe please and come back with any questions you may have. I got switched from kpins to xanax so I don't take that anymore and don't like kpins at all. Xanax helps me the best and it's always a good anti-depressante for me as well making SSRI's not needed as well as MOAI's.

I would ask about substitution using 30 mg temazepam in place of the 1 mg nightly kpin. This may be worth a shot to keep your tolerance at bay.

T.Cal & Ed summed this up quite well but I just wanted to add that Temazepam can have a short half life (8 hrs) that brings about rebound anxiety in the mornings after repeated use. If you are able to use them 3-4 days a week with a break every couple nights or so it will mitigate these effects, at least for a while IME. Unfortunately great sleep can sometimes come at a price.

T.Cal & Ed summed this up quite well but I just wanted to add that Temazepam can have a short half life (8 hrs) that brings about rebound anxiety in the mornings after repeated use. If you are able to use them 3-4 days a week with a break every couple nights or so it will mitigate these effects, at least for a while IME. Unfortunately great sleep can sometimes come at a price.
This is true and I appreciate your response to his/her answer stating how me and T.Cal summed it up well. I try to help with as many questions here as possible; anyways back to what I was going to say. I agree with what you're saying. I am a chronic user of temazepam, xanax, OxyContin, & Hydrocodone. Everytime I wake up after taking my normal dose of temazepam the night before I need my xanax right as I'm up due to aniexty I get from what I would say is like a hangover but not- hard to explain, but you explained it pretty well. At first I never had any ill effects from my temazepam once I woke up and it seemed to even give me an after glow effect too. It was nice at first but now it's not like that at all and it makes me have to take my first dose of xanax right as I awake which sucks but, at least it gets me up to start my day and for some this effect may not be negative to some, due to how it wakes me up early and not late like it did at first for me. I just have pretty bad anxiety, & I'm sensitive to anything that is like a stimulate, or stimulate/effects like a stimulate.