• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Response to drugs changes over time with cognitive/personality evolution, why? Neural rationale?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Basically my deal is I started anti-depressants in 2015.

They worked like rocket fuel, ESPECIALLY drugs that worked on noradrenaline like mirtazapine, effexor (at 225 mg), reboxetine and atomoxetine.

The serotonin element also boosted mood and I became so damn sociable on SSRI's.

But at that point my focus was on enhancing functionality/energy so excluded SSRI's and focused only on noradrenaline thus the combination I used mostly was atomoxetine with mirtazapine.

Being on this I determined an effective cognitive intervention (which I couldn't do without it cause I was to dysfunctional/wasted).

And when that cognitive intervention was determined (it's like, "presence of mind" or "self awareness" type of deal - I believe it affects neural function), the energy boosting property of noradrenaline stopped working.

Not only that but it started having a paradoxical effect and actually making me really slow.
So by example before I'd take ritalin and have a lot of energy, now I take it and I get slow and tired.

Recently attributable to mood however, I've had to go back on SSRI's and serotonin specific drugs, avoiding noradrenaline, and they DO seem to boost. mood.

It's like, he brain seems so dynamic and it's primary objective is evolution, taking benefits from some drugs when it needs their benefits and at other times it's like it says, "no you're no use to me at this current time" and produces a paradoxical effect from what the drug should have.

Any insights or thoughts on this?

Please let me know if better clarity is requires on anything.

I was on serotonergic antidepressants most of my adult life and they changed from inducing hypomania to next to nothing besides suppressing the horrific abstinence syndrome, I'd say it is tolerance even when the general consent seems to be that antidepressants don't induce tolerance like e.g. stimulants.

Weird about the inverse reaction you get now from NRIs. If I remember it correctly, norepinephrine reuptake inhibition can actually lower the pressure increasing effects of tyrosine while on MAOIs but Idk whether this is related. You're happy for that SSRIs still work, I'd wish I could say that from myself.

But I'm interested in the topic as well. Somehow I think there is no clear distinction between changes in response to drugs over time and cognitive evolution (or the opposite of).