Open Discussion Reply Notifications

MySecret

Bluelighter
It seems like, in order to follow up on posts, you've got to sort through pages and pages of posts that you've posted, to be able to see if anyone answered back a question that you may have asked, but the time spent looking for any answered questions or replied posts is so time consuming.

I had an idea about the option of having a check box near the quote to alert or notify a certain poster, or posters, to let them know that their post has been replied to, specifically to their post, or answer or question or whatever it may be.

If you don't understand what I mean, let me give you an example.

Lets say that I found a thread about the scientific studies on... tennis.
A member wants to know something in particular and you wanted to answer his question or provide him with some useful information. Most of the time, you won't even get a response and they will never see what you replied back to them because they most likely won't refer back to threads they posted ages ago. Why? It's way too time consuming. It ends up being forgotten.

So, why not let us choose to be able to notify that their question has been answered, or post replied to?

In User CP - Edit Options - Default Thread Subscription Mode -

Select any option but "Do not subscribe".

Any thread you post in will now be added to your subscribed threads and when a new post is made in that thread it will show up in your user cp. You can also manually subscribe to threads in the "Thread Tools" pull down menu at the top right of a thread.

edit:
Sorry if you already knew this and your question was addressing a post which is ignored for a long time (in a thread with a conversation you didn't want to follow) and then somebody decided to reply.

In User CP - Edit Options - Default Thread Subscription Mode -

Select any option but "Do not subscribe".

Any thread you post in will now be added to your subscribed threads and when a new post is made in that thread it will show up in your user cp. You can also manually subscribe to threads in the "Thread Tools" pull down menu at the top right of a thread.

edit:
Sorry if you already knew this and your question was addressing a post which is ignored for a long time (in a thread with a conversation you didn't want to follow) and then somebody decided to reply.

Subscribing is nice to an extent. What if I subscribe to every thread that I post in? It would become overwhelming. If one person clicks the a check box, please let this person know I have replied to his post, not the whole thread, but only his post, then we are informed more directly, and this clears up a whole lot of confusion, and not to mention less threads to read and sort through to find the response, especially for those of us who post quite frequently.

If I subscribe to one thread that I posted in, I don't want to be notified every single time a different person chimes in with their opinion, unless they are speaking directly to me.

Imagine if I subscribed to 100 threads... that would be no more confusing and time consuming than looking back through all the threads that I've previously posted in.

If I subscribe to 100 threads, and we have the ability to check the option to notify the person their post has been responded to directly, then it would be a whole lot easier to carry on a conversation.

Besides, what other forum has that option? It would be a first and BL would gain that recognition %)

Most people who use the board subscribe to every thread they post in because they post in threads they are interested in following the discussion on. There are in my mind few situation where you would post something, the conversation would continue but you would not want to pay attention to it, and then somebody would suddenly refer back to your post and make a follow up.

Try subscribing to everything and I think you'll find you enjoy it. You get to log on, read up on the 20 or so threads that have received updates since your last BL session (depending on how long you've been gone of course :)) and then see what else has newly been posted.

As for adding your feature personally I think it would be a great idea if we were more of a very specific question and answer type forum, but most threads are discussions where you aren't replying just to one person but to a whole ongoing every changing topic.

To mimic this function with what we currently have available, I've PMed people with "post responded to here" before if I asked them a question in a thread and they haven't responded. Furthermore you can search for "Originally Posted by MySecret" if somebody properly quotes you. Notice that with both of these as well as your idea the onus is on the responder to properly initiate the contact with the asker. It is probably more appropriate for the originally asking party to make sure they go get the information they are looking for as if I am helping you out by answering a question I'm less likely to be bothered to make sure the info gets to you.

Most people who use the board subscribe to every thread they post in because they post in threads they are interested in following the discussion on. There are in my mind few situation where you would post something, the conversation would continue but you would not want to pay attention to it, and then somebody would suddenly refer back to your post and make a follow up.

Try subscribing to everything and I think you'll find you enjoy it. You get to log on, read up on the 20 or so threads that have received updates since your last BL session (depending on how long you've been gone of course :)) and then see what else has newly been posted.

As for adding your feature personally I think it would be a great idea if we were more of a very specific question and answer type forum, but most threads are discussions where you aren't replying just to one person but to a whole ongoing every changing topic.

To mimic this function with what we currently have available, I've PMed people with "post responded to here" before if I asked them a question in a thread and they haven't responded. Furthermore you can search for "Originally Posted by MySecret" if somebody properly quotes you. Notice that with both of these as well as your idea the onus is on the responder to properly initiate the contact with the asker. It is probably more appropriate for the originally asking party to make sure they go get the information they are looking for as if I am helping you out by answering a question I'm less likely to be bothered to make sure the info gets to you.

That works :)

sometimes the people contributing to the same threads as yourself - even though they don't quote you directly - have interesting and useful things to say on that subject. no doubt you are a unique snowflake, but i'm afraid our software doesn't currently pander to people only looking for validation. ;)

I find that if you log in enough, choosing Today's Posts under the drop down Quick Links is enough to tell me whats new.

The shorter the break between visits, the less new posts to check........ whodathunkit ;)