• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Relapse Relapsed after 5 1/2 years

Drazyhaze

Greenlighter
This is crazy to be typing, but I did indeed relapse after 5.5 years of recovery and sobriety.

I'll give some back story as best I can.

I was actively in AA, but I quit going to meetings during start of pandemic. But I still stayed heavily connected with other recovering addicts both in AA and other fellowships. I still maintained spiritual fitness, and still worked on my self the best I could.

I never had any desire to use during the 2 years of pandemic or whatever it was. In fact I've not had a desire to use at all except for year 1 and 2 of recovery.

So up to speed with where I am now, I was dating a girl who I happened to like quite a lot. We hadn't been dating crazy long, few months, but I saw a future with her. She was inviting me to wedding showers and all these social events with friends and family.

Everything that would say aw hell yeah this going great. Well out of no where day after she was over and we went to dinner and hungout at my place she ends it all over a text.

Bro I was fucking devastated. It felt so dirty and sudden. She didn't even give me a good reason AND she didn't do it in person to top it off.

I do believe this was the beginning of the end for me. I was feeling an emotional void I don't think I had experienced up until this point. I had other girls I had liked that didn't work out, and I'd pick myself up and move on. But it did seem to get harder each time. This one just seemed to be too much for me.

Afterwards I was just so sad. So defeated. I felt so useless, so hopeless, and so purposeless. And not cause this girl Is just that amazing, its more so because I feel like what the fuck am I doing in life then? I can't find anyone, no relationship works out for me. Like clearly I'm doing something wrong or there is som3thing wrong with me.

My mind goes dark fast but I don't disagree with the things it says if that makes sense. Like there Is no way I can go my whole life single and living alone and being content. No fucking way man.

So these thoughts are going on and then I thought it was a good idea to binge watch Intervention and the season on the heroin triangle. Solely because that's my area and I know all about it quite well.

I don't do heroin. I hate heroin, so in my mind I'm thinking this is no big deal. Wrong. Every time a rig was used it just rustled my head a little more, and a little more. Then before I know it I realize I'm thinking about doing a shot regularly. And I'm fighting it off best I can.

I'd feel better after a while then it would return. Any addict can relate to this. Then somewhere along the line I succumbed. Just 3pm on a Saturday I was playing a video game, stood up and got In my car and drove into ATL. Scored coke from some random dude in the hood, and so begins my 12 hours straight of shooting coke.

Then I did it again....

But the worst part is I don't know if I want to quit. After all this time and all the work and all the bullshit I'm just kinda over life right now.

I'm struggling to see the point, I'm struggling to see the reasoning. I've NEVER felt like I belonged. Ever. It's gotten slightly better but I still often feel like an outside.

I wish I could go back to when I was teenager and never touch hard drugs for the first time. Shit has felt like nothing but a curse my whole life. And the people who say its a gift they can give back to people blah blah. Yeah fuckin right dude, if you're really honest with yourself that shit is a goddamn curse

Idk where I'm going with this. TLDR: Relapsed after 5 years. Still actively using off and on. Not every day, maybe once a week right now at most. Mixture of super depressed but also enjoying it? Needed to vent somewhere safe that won't result in instant consequences.

ty for posting and this is the place to share and vent, so many can relate to heart ache and relapsing, my heart is broken for breaking a heart, i confessed to her everything i did, and it hurt her badly, instead of feeling better and moving on ,i wanted to use the very drug that got me into this mess, how crazy is that? but im holding tight and hope you can get through this dark time the best you can,i cant imagine being in the dating scene these days, i really want the best for you, dont use all that coke , easier said than done, but maybe theres truly someone out there for you and you be all shut down and tore up from drug use, you deserve the best so dont hurt yourself

Last edited:
This is crazy to be typing, but I did indeed relapse after 5.5 years of recovery and sobriety.

I'll give some back story as best I can.

I was actively in AA, but I quit going to meetings during start of pandemic. But I still stayed heavily connected with other recovering addicts both in AA and other fellowships. I still maintained spiritual fitness, and still worked on my self the best I could.

I never had any desire to use during the 2 years of pandemic or whatever it was. In fact I've not had a desire to use at all except for year 1 and 2 of recovery.

So up to speed with where I am now, I was dating a girl who I happened to like quite a lot. We hadn't been dating crazy long, few months, but I saw a future with her. She was inviting me to wedding showers and all these social events with friends and family.

Everything that would say aw hell yeah this going great. Well out of no where day after she was over and we went to dinner and hungout at my place she ends it all over a text.

Bro I was fucking devastated. It felt so dirty and sudden. She didn't even give me a good reason AND she didn't do it in person to top it off.

I do believe this was the beginning of the end for me. I was feeling an emotional void I don't think I had experienced up until this point. I had other girls I had liked that didn't work out, and I'd pick myself up and move on. But it did seem to get harder each time. This one just seemed to be too much for me.

Afterwards I was just so sad. So defeated. I felt so useless, so hopeless, and so purposeless. And not cause this girl Is just that amazing, its more so because I feel like what the fuck am I doing in life then? I can't find anyone, no relationship works out for me. Like clearly I'm doing something wrong or there is som3thing wrong with me.

My mind goes dark fast but I don't disagree with the things it says if that makes sense. Like there Is no way I can go my whole life single and living alone and being content. No fucking way man.

So these thoughts are going on and then I thought it was a good idea to binge watch Intervention and the season on the heroin triangle. Solely because that's my area and I know all about it quite well.

I don't do heroin. I hate heroin, so in my mind I'm thinking this is no big deal. Wrong. Every time a rig was used it just rustled my head a little more, and a little more. Then before I know it I realize I'm thinking about doing a shot regularly. And I'm fighting it off best I can.

I'd feel better after a while then it would return. Any addict can relate to this. Then somewhere along the line I succumbed. Just 3pm on a Saturday I was playing a video game, stood up and got In my car and drove into ATL. Scored coke from some random dude in the hood, and so begins my 12 hours straight of shooting coke.

Then I did it again....

But the worst part is I don't know if I want to quit. After all this time and all the work and all the bullshit I'm just kinda over life right now.

I'm struggling to see the point, I'm struggling to see the reasoning. I've NEVER felt like I belonged. Ever. It's gotten slightly better but I still often feel like an outside.

I wish I could go back to when I was teenager and never touch hard drugs for the first time. Shit has felt like nothing but a curse my whole life. And the people who say its a gift they can give back to people blah blah. Yeah fuckin right dude, if you're really honest with yourself that shit is a goddamn curse

Idk where I'm going with this. TLDR: Relapsed after 5 years. Still actively using off and on. Not every day, maybe once a week right now at most. Mixture of super depressed but also enjoying it? Needed to vent somewhere safe that won't result in instant consequences.
What a crappy thing to happen. ❤️

When you got sober 5 years ago what made you stop then?

What a crappy thing to happen. ❤️

When you got sober 5 years ago what made you stop then?
At the time I was just completely over all of it. No money, no place to live, nothing. I literally had nothing. Lost it all by that point. And I know that I could get sober again. What scares me is I'm not sure that I want to.

At the time I was just completely over all of it. No money, no place to live, nothing. I literally had nothing. Lost it all by that point. And I know that I could get sober again. What scares me is I'm not sure that I want to.
I saw you said you did AA and don’t see the point because you didn’t fit in anyway. Did you know there are a shit ton of other mutual aid groups out there now? AA/NA isn’t the only thing anymore. But I mean sometimes none of the recovery related options float a specific persons boat. Sometimes you have to do recovery alone without the help of the recovery “community”. But if you did want to try another type of program or community there’s SMART Recovery, Recovery Dharma, etc.

Do you not think you will lose “everything” again If you continue using? Forcing you back into the same position but in a shittier state since yanno it’s all gone? Why isn’t it something you might not even want?