relapse after about 7 months clean

Mafioso

Bluelight Crew
I don't know exactly what led to it. I keep asking myself how I got off track, but the only simple answer is "slowly".

I'm not sure if I started losing hope first or if my bad habits started building and my good habits stopped, but either way I let myself give up. It's been mostly an emotional relapse rather than a physical one, but I have been smoking an increasing amount of weed and did take some hydrocodone.

Not going through any withdrawals, but I have picked up some bad habits and have some things to deal with. I'm going to make a list and work through them here, I could use some advice for getting back into the swing of things. My life really revolved around buying, selling, and using drugs and I'm working on changing that.

These are some the reasons that I feel bad and somethings I can do about it.

-Feel guilty because I have been slacking off, lazy, and getting stoned all day
=>Quit using cannabis and refocus on my job and school. Also be sure to spend time with family and friends. Honestly, I'm unsure about this one, but I think if I'm being honest with myself I need to quit smoking for a while to fully regain self-control.

-Failing classes.
=>Quit smoking and stick to daily schedule. Finish school work before hanging out with friends. Stop getting too stoned to study and do homework.

-Feeling lazy and unmotivated
=>Start running first thing in the morning again. Replace watching netflix with reading, studying, practicing music, or socializing. Find healthy ways to socialize.

-Unhappy with my body because I'm starting to gain weight.
=>Workout 3-5 times a week, no more soda or junk food.

That's about it for now, the list could go on but I don't want to overwhelm myself with things that I need to change, just makes my head feel like it is spinning and then I give up and regress into old familiar habits.

I remember doing a "vision board" in rehab. Thought it was cheasy as hell and only did it to make my counselor happy, but it makes a lot more sense to me right now. There are so many things I want to change or ways that I can improve, but if I try to do it all at once I will only get discouraged and probably give up. It's easy to list all the things that I want to change and ways in which I could change, but when it comes down to it, it is hard to replace those habits that we have become so comfortabe with.

So, in effort to take things in stride, my goals this week are:
-Daily schedule again. Every night before, by the hour.
-Get back on track in school. Even if I can't get my grades back up, at least I can get my habits corrected. This means studying 2-8+ hours a day.
-No smoking before 6pm, No smoking every day after this week. It's time to stop again but it might help if I ease into things, it really messes with my schedule going cold turkey now.
-Run every morning, 7am. 2 miles minimum, even if I walk at least I'm spending time outside.
-1-2+ hours practicing vocals and guitar
-Start going to NA meetings or group. I don't think I "need" them, but they can be a good place to meet other people with similar struggles.

It takes a lot of effort to care. Sometimes it seems like it comes so naturally, so effortlessly, but when motivation flickers, the full weight of concern becomes apparent. The hardest steps we take are those before we lay down to sleep.

Trying to remind myself that things may never be perfect, but they can improve.
Just because I fail doesn't mean I have to give up or can never try again. Failure is a state of mind.

Going to get some rest now. I feel like the most discouraging part is knowing i need to change but lacking the motivation to do so, but motivation can be found and obtained.

Damn man... sorry to hear about this. At least it looks like you've got a good idea of what you need to do to get past this, just stick to it man. You know what's best for you.

It's not the end of the world and things could be a lot worse. Felt good to get it off my mind, was thinking it might be good to start going to meetings so I have people I can talk to about this stuff and go hang out if need be.

I was frustrated I couldn't get more pills, only had 10 hydros, but when I finally gave up I was really glad it didn't go any further. I would have bought a lot more and was hoping to get some bars again which is the last thing I need in my life.

The biggest bummer is if I fucked up school I may have fucked up some work prospects as well, but there will always be opportunities.

Definitely glad it didn't go farther man, I know how it is, drugs used to be in every part of my life too, hard to get away and stay away. Meetings would probably be a good thing, to have people that kind of get it.

Also a good mindset to be in man.

It sounds like a really good plan you have made for yourself. Remember to maybe ease into some of the goals, don't know about you but I have a tendency to fail everything if I have too many goals at once.

I'm gonna be one of the people that asks you to please try not to be too hard on yourself.

It's not the end of the world. I had a "baby relapse" shortly after my first post on here back in 2016. (lurked for like a decade) At the time I just separated with a live in gf of ~6 years and my best friend in the world because she cheated on me with her little brother and admitted to molesting him during his childhood - though fucked up it still hurt like a bitch because we were friends for 20 years and she was the only person who stuck by me during my darkest days, like my time in IDOC. Around the same time I had a couple of mild surgeries and got prescribed 90x10/325 percs. I stayed sober for another 6 months or so after all of it went down. I thought I processed everything and I thought I was over everything emotionally and one night, not in a particularly bad mood or anything and as if in a trance, I went and filled the prescription. I ate them all in 3 days. Then on day 4 I got really drunk. I tainted almost a decade without drugs and over 2 years completely sober*.

Even before this relapse I knew that if I don't provide myself with structure, I slowly let self-discipline slide and in this case it contributed to my relapse. On top of it I'm an oddball and it can't be repetitive structure. Repetition throws me into a suicidal depression, like groundhog day. Not to mention dealing with crippling pain added another dimension to the mental grappling. It started with little things like not feeding the cats on time and skipping chores - tasks I'm normally very diligent about completing in a timely fashion.

Thankfully, I caught myself before it went too far and I'm really fortunate I didn't OD, especially with my nonexistent tolerance. I'm in my 30s but I called my mother and my new girlfriend, confessed everything and both came over to my place, thanked me for my honesty and stuck around long enough in shifts for the obsession to ease up to the point I was comfortable being alone again. In a way, I'm kinda glad it happened because it showed me that even after all this time, I never really "beat" my addictions. On some level I knew this already but in retrospect, I was definitely having dangerous thoughts like "I'm so mature and it's been so long that I can probably manage a heroin habit NOW." Don't worry, I know how crazy that sounds. I started leaving room for bargaining with myself mentally and as a result my self-discipline began to suffer slowly but immensely - bleeding over into many aspects of my life.

Here's the encouraging part - I've been sober since and there is a chance you will be too. :) Though the odds are against you... and me as well for that matter. I cried a lot about it. The disappointment and shame that I felt was damn near unbearable and were huge motivators to tighten the fuck up. See if there is a way you can view this relapse in a positive light and use the pain as motivation.

*For the sake of honesty - I don't attend NA or AA because I never quit smoking pot. It helped me get off of anti-depressants and anti-psychotics and nowadays, after a lot of experimentation, I've found 2 strains that dull the peaks and valleys of my bipolar, I can't ask for more than that. Although marijuana is not recommended for bipolar disorder, it generally works really well for me in lieu of the meds I used to be on. Plus I'm not horribly overweight anymore, which was a side effect of the prescription drugs. I have nothing against the program and I believe in it.

+I also wanted to mention that afterwards, I immersed myself in my hobbies WAY more. I purchased a new telescope and some bird-watching binoculars, joined some educational forums and bought a PBC smoker. Keeping myself busy helped a lot. Plus, I love food and I constantly reminded myself of how hard it is to eat when you're withdrawing and how you don't eat when you're drugging/drinking.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't do everything I had planned today, but that's okay. I have a plan and I made progress today, and that is what is important.

I feel like I am in a good place mentally right now. I was feeling pretty discouraged and beginning to feel hopeless and lost, but just admitting change needs to happen and developing a plan really helps me feel organized and focused. More importantly I am not thinking about pills and thinking about what needs to be done.

Court again on Monday, nothing is going to happen but I still hate dealing with it.

Still struggling with not smoking when I'm bored. Sometimes things just feel so mundane and it's hard to be excited abuot anything. Still need to find healthy ways to add excitement back into my life. Really glad I didn't get back on the pills though.

dont fret about it man, as long as you don't keep using, then its just a "lapse" not even a relapse

last night i threw away 2 years of clean time, I'm upset yea but I'm not guna let it fuck me, i mean I'm proud of myself for fucking making it 2 whole god dam years