• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Regarding sublingual use of benzos (diazepam in this context) - is there a specific technique?

... I am well aware of lipid cells under tongue.

However, water 💧 soluble drugs absorb much better under the tongue 👅. Water soluble opiods have rapid sublingual absorption , buprenorphine has moderate absorption sublingual, though shallow depot effect cuts the potency down to a fraction of parental or half of intranasal.

Benzoyl should just be swallowed, unless on a full stomach. Some benzos better than others, Valium less than others (though mostly because of potency, 10-20,mg = 0.25-0.5mg clonazepam)

Both ate medium effectiveness sublingual I guess - good luck

... I am well aware of lipid cells under tongue.

However, water 💧 soluble drugs absorb much better under the tongue 👅. Water soluble opiods have rapid sublingual absorption , buprenorphine has moderate absorption sublingual, though shallow depot effect cuts the potency down to a fraction of parental or half of intranasal.

Benzoyl should just be swallowed, unless on a full stomach. Some benzos better than others, Valium less than others (though mostly because of potency, 10-20,mg = 0.25-0.5mg clonazepam)

Both ate medium effectiveness sublingual I guess - good luck
Water soluble do absorb better but it is worth using lipophilic drugs sublingually.

You know what, I may be mistaken, because hydromorphone has extremely high water 💧 solubility (333mg/ml, or a 3rd of a gram of pure hydromorphone, which would kill most people if 💉 injected, per CC) and it does not absorb well at all sublingual; nonetheless water solubility helps, though most benzodiazepines are potent enough and have enough lipid solubility to work, though it rarely offers a benefit under the tongue.

Even the clonazepam wafers, which my mother was recently prescribed (they are white regardless of strength and extremely sweet and tailor made for sublingual use) are technically designed to be place *on top* of the tongue, where they rapidly dissolved and are easily swallowed.

Anyways, sorry for the mistake 🤪

(And for anyone trying to taper, clonazepam ODT tablets are made in a 1/8th of a mg dosage, 0.125mg(125 micro gram) tablets, in addition to a quarter milligram(0.25) and the standard 0.5mg, 1mg, and 2mg.

Just putting that out there

Anyone agree that with clonazepam potency and unique properties (not to mention long duration and slow elimination) that a 1.5mg tablet should be made? They often use 1.25mg when performing studies, so why not make a 1.25 or (IMHO, preferably) a 1.5mg dosage? An argument could be made for alprazolam as well, despite being a tad less potent

Good day

That's fine and all but sublingual
WORKS. They wouldn't say it on the bottle.
I did not see your post though have already retracted my previous statements. My bottle has never mentioned sublingual use, though I know they use it that way and never meant to imply that it did not work; just that it does not provide any real advantage in most cases and diazepam in particular is not a good choice IMO for sublingual use, amd there are multiple reasons for that.

Anyway, 😞 sorry

I don't get it, so you're saying it actually is better absorbed sublingually? It's already absorbed over 90% orally so I don't see how it'd get you any further. The only benefit of sublingual is not having to wait 2.5 hours opposed to the 1.5 hour peak for Valium, food vs. empty stomach.

Just hold it under young tongue until it dissolves. Pressing down on it with your tongue can speed this up. If you wanna crush it and dump the powder under your tongue, this will also speed things up.

For sublingual, you do need it UNDER the tongue, btw.
I used to crush it into powder, sometimes it'd get in weird spots though. With the tablets I was never sure if pressing the tablet against my sublingual glands with my tongue still worked properly since the tip of your tongue is just going to absorb some too orally. How long do you even leave it there? I never knew, I used to do 20-30 minutes as if it really mattered, it's not going to fully dissolve, it just becomes thin yellow water basically. Dissolving the tablets sublingually takes forever. I think someone had mentioned using a carbonated beverage to speed up the process of it breaking down

Last edited:
Hey there, just joined. I had some questions about sublingual diazepam use. I'm not too experienced with taking things sublingually.
In the mornings I will generally take it orally as I'm on an empty stomach and I understand bioavailability is high. I opt for sublingual use after meals or if I know I'm going to eat soon.

So far it seems that sublingual use has worked for me each time, however, I'm not sure if I am doing it optimally or what options I have to help speed up the process. I'm on diazepam 5s for reference, though I will usually only use half of one. I only recently started taking benzos for anxiety (short term, definitely not trying to use as a long term treatment as they are definitely addictive, love this feeling). So I don't have much of a tolerance. I've been battling with severe sinus issues / chronic headaches and my anxiety has been through the roof the past month, especially after a course of prednisone that had me going totally haywire, which led me to going on valium for a bit.

I started at 2mg, then after a couple days off I had it upped to 5mg. I may use these in an on and off fashion but it's unlikely. I normally medicate with THC but it aggravates my sinuses at the moment likely due to some kind of mild allergy. Missing it so much. I have general anxiety and C-PTSD and cannabis helps keep me grounded and evaluate my life and the world around me in a way that is nothing short of magic, been smoking for almost 11 years now (just turned 28 )

Anyway back on topic. I try to let the pill sit below my tongue in a pool of saliva for as long as I can, but these damn things take FOREVER to dissolve. I know some like to crush it up first but I don't want to potentially lose out on some meds by crushing it, maybe I'm just paranoid though.

Earlier it took well over 30 minutes to even get close to dissolving, I had to just press it around very gently with my tongue tip until it started dissolving, and also to keep it properly under my tongue. I didn't know if this was wasting any medicine, maybe a little bit? But I tried to mostly just press it around with the back of my tongue rather than the tip. I had my jaw clenched very uncomfortably this whole time to make sure I wasn't swallowing the saliva.

Also was shifting my head around to make sure the pill stayed under my tongue and not too close to the back gum line of my bottom teeth, but I'm not sure if it matters too much / if it's still very vascular there. It's really difficult to keep it in one place when there's all that saliva in there. I heard swallowing any of the saliva is bad and is basically the same as taking it orally (to the extent of which X amount of mg are lost). Probably barely anything

So that also leads me to wonder, can you just press the tablet down with the tip of your tongue against the back of your tongue until it's dissolved? I've heard of this being a strategy for certain pills, but those are generally meant to be taken sublingually. I did this at least once the other week and it seemed to still work but it might have just been similar to taking it orally, my stomach was pretty empty.

Lastly, is buccal absorption viable with these? Like, sticking it on the side of your gums till it dissolves? I never really saw anything about this with benzos, but I've read about it being doable with other drugs. That would be nice if so.
Benzos are hard as hell to get off. Take it from someone who started 20 years ago. After a long time they don't work the same and you need more and more. If I could go back I'd never have tried them. Also unless you have a doc that will keep giving them some of these so called doctors will cut you off cold or not a proper detox which takes years in some cases like mine. It's easy to go up on the dose but real hard to come down especially at 1 mg and below. Keep it in mind. Also if you are staying on them take a few days off to keep the tolerance low than take another dose. I can't smoke weed anymore it gives me anxiety. I tried using benzos to keep smoking but that stopped working too. Now I have a ball and chain with pills that don't grow on trees and I can't make...

There are sublingual versions of Clonazepam and Lorazepam, I know because I had both. I switched to normal pills/bars because the sublinguals didn't work any faster than the other form and we're more expensive (why pay more for the same thing?)
Doc said the sublinguals were made for people with swallowing problems (have in mind that both those benzos are anticonvulsants) and not with the idea in mind to "kick in faster".
I chew mine because
Mmm, yes, love to taste of benzos.
They ARE yummy!
After 5 or so years of benzo use in a row I can feel the onset of clona in about 15 minutes.
I keep the chewed stuff about 1-2 seconds in my mouth before swallowing it down. The taste lasts for about 10 minutes or so. By then I already feel a slight onset,which might be a psychological thing. If I drink.some plain water after, it's justa few more minutes until really feel the effect (not the peak, though)

Last edited:
There are sublingual versions of Clonazepam and Lorazepam, I know because I had both. I switched to normal pills/bars because the sublinguals didn't work any faster than the other form and we're more expensive (why pay more for the same thing?)
Doc said the sublinguals were made for people with swallowing problems (have in mind that both those benzos are anticonvulsants) and not with the idea in mind to "kick in faster".
I chew mine because

They ARE yummy!
After 5 or so years of benzo use in a row I can feel the onset of clona in about 15 minutes.
I keep the chewed stuff about 1-2 seconds in my mouth before swallowing it down. The taste lasts for about 10 minutes or so. By then I already feel a slight onset,which might be a psychological thing. If I drink.some plain water after, it's justa few more minutes until really feel the effect (not the peak, though)
The old Teva formula was way better than the new Teva's that came back after many called in protest. I still think the Teva brand is the best for generics. They have a minty taste and last longer with less side effects than others. I chew they sometimes usually if I want them to kick in quicker and to make sure the same taste is there. The Accord brand is the worst (Chinese). I haven't had the brand name in like 15 years. I hear it's not as good anymore.

I take generics, too. Brand depends on which pharmacy chain I get them from. Once I had a brand that tasted like grapefruit. Guess they were children's sublingual version or something, ha!

I have technique with my 10mg Valiums, where I use my front teeth to chew up and pulverize the pill, and it turns into a sort of a paste and then use the tip of my tongue to push and spread it some, under my tongue. Then just wait and voila, it is gone pretty soon.