• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Refilling adderall early if I change prescription?

Stimothy

Greenlighter
I have an upcoming dr. Appointment. I'm still about 10 days from being to refill my adderall.

If I request my dr. change my prescription strength, will that allow me to fill it early?

I did this last time by switching from Vyvanse to Adderall. I guess if the prescription changes, the 28 day waiting period doesn't apply?

Sorry for the slightly off topic question. Not sure where to ask.

I wouldn’t count on it. Dosage change is different from medication change.

-GC

Not with adderall but anytime i needed to increase my hydromorph script the doctor would write a new script or write one for the week(the increase amount) then change it when i was do. No telling what your doctor would do though. Some wait until your refill time is due to increase the dosage.
As said above don't count on it

Much appreciated. I'll let you guys know what happens and plan for it not working out.

I would stress(not to much though) that you feel you need the increase as soon as possible. Try not to come across to pushy though so he don't get suspicious
Good luck

Just curious, are you out of your prescription?

Not with adderall but anytime i needed to increase my hydromorph script the doctor would write a new script or write one for the week(the increase amount) then change it when i was do. No telling what your doctor would do though. Some wait until your refill time is due to increase the dosage.
As said above don't count on it

My doctor was like "now, you filled that prescription on the 14th, and it's now the 23rd, so you'll run out on the 11th, so I'll give you just a few days, then you can renew as usual on 'x'"

:laughing:

It can get pretty sketchy taking more than you're given. I had the same problem with alprazolam. Sucks to be dependent on more than you're prescribed is all I'm saying. Good luck.

Just to update, dr. called it in and pharmacy says it is ready for pickup, so I'll drive over now.

Update: picked up with no issues

Last edited:
Hey pals, I definitely don't want to step on anyone's toes here. I know I'm not in OD as much as I'm in BDD. Is this something we should be fielding in the HR forums? This seems like a "how do I acquire" situation as opposed to a "how does this relate to my health" situation. I'm gonna leave that to you guys as I'm late to this party. I just want to throw that out there.

In most instances, what you're describing will work out. It is highly dependent upon your state/province regulations and your health insurance. Again, in most cases a dosage change can warrant a new prescription.

I feel really old these days with some of my advice. I still want to do the best for you guys. My heart tells me to caution you against this sort of thing. I'm in recovery myself and I also take a daily stimulant, Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse) 70mg per day. It is an extremely important part of my success. I had never actually taken Amphetamines in a rational way before in my life. I wasn't aware of what they actually did in smaller dosages. If I lost my prescription, it would seriously impact my life.

If you're the same, really think about all this. It might work a couple of times. If you're prescriber is at all suspicious, it would be really easy for her to tell you to present your residual medication from the previous script. If you couldn't produce it, it would be damning evidence against you. Just try your best to make it work next time. I don't want you to lose your prescription.

Hey pals, I definitely don't want to step on anyone's toes here. I know I'm not in OD as much as I'm in BDD. Is this something we should be fielding in the HR forums? This seems like a "how do I acquire" situation as opposed to a "how does this relate to my health" situation. I'm gonna leave that to you guys as I'm late to this party. I just want to throw that out there.

In most instances, what you're describing will work out. It is highly dependent upon your state/province regulations and your health insurance. Again, in most cases a dosage change can warrant a new prescription.

I feel really old these days with some of my advice. I still want to do the best for you guys. My heart tells me to caution you against this sort of thing. I'm in recovery myself and I also take a daily stimulant, Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse) 70mg per day. It is an extremely important part of my success. I had never actually taken Amphetamines in a rational way before in my life. I wasn't aware of what they actually did in smaller dosages. If I lost my prescription, it would seriously impact my life.

If you're the same, really think about all this. It might work a couple of times. If you're prescriber is at all suspicious, it would be really easy for her to tell you to present your residual medication from the previous script. If you couldn't produce it, it would be damning evidence against you. Just try your best to make it work next time. I don't want you to lose your prescription.
I am not really sure what you are getting at here. How could this make me lose my prescription?

EDIT:
Sorry, I understand you now, let me clarify. I understand that this forum features recreational drug use, so it's a fair association to make with my thread. However, rest assured, none of that is going on here. I just didn't know where else to ask.

I take as prescribed, but for the past year or so, I've had to wait 1-3 weeks in between refills unmedicated. I switched to the 20mg because I was told they are more available. So by switching to 20mg and filling 10 days early, I had a better chance of no delays, and even if there was a delay, I'd still have 10 days worth of meds. This is the very first time I didn't have a gap between refills since the shortage began.

I appreciate your concern, though. Don't stop doing that.

(For those unaware, there is a really stupid and absurd adderall shortage that is really making this difficult. I have to wait between every refill. It was so bad at first that I switched to dexedrine, only to find out it was also unavailable, to vyvanse, also unavailable, finally to ritalin, then to vyvanse, then to adderall with 1-3 week gaps in between every refill. It is absolute garbage.)

Last edited:
Oh wow I didn't understand that this was the case.

It's really unacceptable. They say a big part of this issue arises from the online prescribing that was allowed during Covid.

They are hoping the situation resolves once this practice is restricted.

I feel lucky. I've definitely had to wait 1-2 days, but never longer than that. I have an IRL psychiatrist who I feel very lucky to have. If a pharmacy doesn't have it, I can text her and she'll send it to wherever they have it in stock within an hour.

More often than not, the first place won't have it. I call someone else and they'll have it. I'm in Vermont though. I can see how this could be a bigger problem in larger metro areas.

You shouldn't have to scheme to get your prescribed medicine. I hope I didn't make you feel judged man.

Oh wow I didn't understand that this was the case.

It's really unacceptable. They say a big part of this issue arises from the online prescribing that was allowed during Covid.

They are hoping the situation resolves once this practice is restricted.

I feel lucky. I've definitely had to wait 1-2 days, but never longer than that. I have an IRL psychiatrist who I feel very lucky to have. If a pharmacy doesn't have it, I can text her and she'll send it to wherever they have it in stock within an hour.

More often than not, the first place won't have it. I call someone else and they'll have it. I'm in Vermont though. I can see how this could be a bigger problem in larger metro areas.

You shouldn't have to scheme to get your prescribed medicine. I hope I didn't make you feel judged man.
No, I don't feel judged at all. I provided no information other than loosely mentioning a week delay somewhere above. Your response was 100% understandable - I just didn't catch on right away. Your post only showed that there are people on this forum looking out for the well-being of others.

And yeah, I'm in LV, it's been nothing short of a nightmare here.

OP you're damn lucky. Like @AlphaMethylPhenyl said (and I think a couple others) it gets sketchy pretty quickly when you start trying those "work-arounds."

Not at all trying to insinuate that's what you were doing. But it's risky.

Regardless, I'm glad you got what you needed!

I have an upcoming dr. Appointment. I'm still about 10 days from being to refill my adderall.

If I request my dr. change my prescription strength, will that allow me to fill it early?

I did this last time by switching from Vyvanse to Adderall. I guess if the prescription changes, the 28 day waiting period doesn't apply?

Every time I've had a dosage change, the pharmacy fills the new prescription immediately. This goes for Adderall, Vyvanse, gabapentin, diazepam, Librium, etc.

All the way through the end of 2023.

The new prescription is the doctor telling the pharmacy and your insurance company that you need the new dose for a medically necessary reason.

Your insurance will cover it because it's a completely different prescription, not a refill.

Yes they do. They will fill it in my experience any time a dosage is changed.