• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Recreational Marijuana legal in Illinois 1/1, dispensaries halting sales/institute reservations a week later

EphemeralOutlet141

Bluelight Crew

My home state reppin.

According to both of my longtime friends that still live there, one being from a small town and the other west Chicago, lines are spanning blocks and interrupting traffic. $10.8 million in sales during the first 5 days!

Yea but in typical Illinois fashion the whole thing is already BS/corrupt, I heard prices are absolutely outrageous and only people with in state ID’s can buy any substantial amount.

I can’t imagine Illinois cannabis being all that great either for the price. Maybe I’m just biased, goddamn flatlanders ;)

-GC

Yea but in typical Illinois fashion the whole thing is already BS/corrupt, I heard prices are absolutely outrageous and only people with in state ID’s can buy any substantial amount.

I can’t imagine Illinois cannabis being all that great either for the price. Maybe I’m just biased, goddamn flatlanders ;)

-GC

You are pretty dead on haha. Illinois finds a way to tax everything, in this case it's proportionate to the THC levels up to 35% extra! Part of the reason I wasn't totally on board with legalization is that they slipped in a plethora of other taxes as well. Gas, road, license plates, emission taxes, nearly anything they possibly could they taxed it as well. The rule for people without state IDs is they can only purchase half of what a resident can. Cops are on standby at every state line too, I'm having fun reading the seizure reports!

I know prices are not allowed, but let's just say a friend dropped a lot on very little and was disappointed. She said she will not be returning. It was good, but not worth the price.

Sadly, this seems to be the case that initially (and to an extent going forward) when legalized there are shortages and high prices. In some jurisdictions the thought seems to be that Cannabis consumers will pay anything, buy anything - and will magically start to buy legal product and stop buying black market.

As a whole country, Canada fusterclucked it up. We are sitting on 316,000 kg of finished Cannabis (source below) and 160,000 litres of Cannabis oil. More is added to the inventory each month, sales and taxes are far behind what expected, companies are bleeding money, stocks are tumbling, etc

Prices are starting to ease down, most notably Christmas sales, which seem to have been extended into January, special sale once-a-month’s and introduction of some very low cost product. Not everywhere though. In y city I’ve found a 4 fold difference in the price of 10 mg THC gelcaps between stores. Some products just aren’t moving.

And I still receive ~4 emails a day from dispensaries advertising sales.

There will be bankruptcies and consolidations in Canada in 2020.

About Illinois sales; is everything pre packaged or does it get weighed out in front of customers?

Tom

I’ve always thought the whole thing with legalization has been funny. Black market prices have come down fairly substantially compared to 5-6 years ago and legal prices are twice what black market used to be. Gotta be some correction at some point or national sales will stay largely black market which is just funny

Swim15 - from my perspective, the problem with Canadian legalization is over regulation At the producer level, where literally licensed producers are required to grow inside secure bank vault type structures or heavily securitized greenhouses, with multiple cameras, points of access that are controlled and logged, etc. That adds up. Problem on the retail level is that all Cannabis is prepackaged. Combine high overhead and you will get higher prices. With everything being prepackaged (and not adequately sealed in my opinion) you get dry product.

I don’t know how many of those problems exist in the US [I don’t know which states mandate pre packaged), but two problems shared with Canada would be a] an initial lack of supply and b) retailers who think the ability to sell Cannabis is similar to the ability to print $.

We’re just starting to see the effects of overproduction and underwhelming sales in Canada; the licensed producers are sitting on 316,000 kg of weed or ~9,000,000 ounces of weed and adding to that every month. Product, specifically edible oils are being returned. Some stores have closed, employees laid off and so on. The really desperate licensed producers are slashing prices,

This will be a year of bankruptcies and consolidation in Canadian weed.

Tom