• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Recreational dosage of pure THC

phantomcosmonaut

Bluelighter
I have acquired THC pills. I was told they're 75mg of THC each. If I'm correct there's about 75mg of THC in .5g of bud, a standard amount when taken orally, which would make this assertion valid right? They're capsules with brown/golden powder inside, it looks to be hash actually. My friend tried one and said it was definitely THC.

Interestingly he noted that it took 3 hours to peak, this also happened with the green dragon I had made and dosed at .5g of bud per dose. So why does it take 3 hours? I haven't heard about that happening with other oral preparations, like brownies.

I can't answer your main question however whenever I make avb edibles it generally takes at least two hours for the effects to come on.

Is it marinol?

I've tried 20mg of pure pharmaceutical THC when I had a marinol pill. It fucking sucks. It's probably the worst form of inebriation I've ever felt. It's everything bad about weed x100 and there's nothing you can do about it. I was too fucked up to sleep even.

The thing is, you can't really compare doses of pure lab grade delta-9-THC and naturally occurring THC in edibles or bud. There may be more THC overall in a particular edible, but it's the other cannabinoids that make THC so wonderful. There are so many, CBC, CBD, CBN, CBL, etc. etc. They're in such minute quantities that it's not important to label them when you get your stash. The one important thing that a few of them do is negate the unpleasant side-effects of THC. It's the synergy that makes weed so euphoric and awesome, not just THC.

These have a golden powder, so I'm assuming they aren't pure THC. It has no smell. Very clumpy/rocky. The powder inside of them actually weighs out to 220mg, which again leads me to assume they're not

I obviously can't say for certain that it's not THC, but I'm almost 99.9% certain. Either way, stay away. Marinol was not a fun experience. There is a reason that even though pure THC is FDA approved, no one uses it.

It took 3 hours to kick in because of your bodies metabolism. Did you take it on an empty stomach? That can definitely decrease the time span. I have also heard about drinking water helping it kick in faster, and that seems to make sense to me.

Weed food takes soooo long to kick in. Many people who are new to edibles don't realize that's the way it is. Some people claim it's not as strong when you don't have an empty stomach, but in my experience it just take longer. Drinking water, I can't say for sure, but it couldn't hurt. It's not like you're on MDMA and you're going to die of a water overdose. Honestly, just assume it will take really long to kick in. One of the biggest mistake I see people make is when a few hours go by and they eat another dose.

THC can be a solid that melts easily to a thick oil. Well made, hydrocarbon-extracted marijuana resin (BHO, naptha hash oil, "budder", "wax", the like) can be easily upwards of 60-80% THC.

Clarke's said:
Color tests: Marquis test—slow/weak ‘salmon orange’ (pink, orange red); Mecke’s reagent—dark orange -> dark purple-ish orange; sodium nitroprusside—cherry red colour [Zimmerman 2001]

Disposition in the Body: delta9-THC is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract but absorption is slow and irregular. However, THC can be measured in plasma within seconds after inhalation of the first puff of marijuana smoke. THC is lipophilic and is widely distributed in the body. It is oxidised to the active metabolites 11-hydroxy-THC (aka 11-OH-THC) and 8b-hydroxy-THC by an hepatic cytochrome P450 enzyme. The inactive substances 8a-hydroxy-THC and 8a,11-dihydroxy-THC are also formed. 11-Hydroxy-THC is further oxidised to 11-nor-9-THC-carboxylic acid (THC-11-oic acid), and many other polar mono- and dicarboxylic acids are formed; these are conjugated with glucuronic acid to a variable extent. Enterohepatic circulation of metabolites may occur. Up to ~25% of a dose is excreted in the urine in 3 days, mainly as 11-nor-THC-9-carboxylic acid glucuronide, together with the other carboxylic acids in free and conjugated form. THC-O-glucuronide has also been detected in urine. The major excretion route is via the faeces, up to around 65% of a dose being excreted in 5 days, mainly as 11-hydroxy-THC and the carboxylic acids in conjugated form. THC metabolites have been detected in urine for up to 12 days following a single oral dose. It crosses the placenta and is distributed into breast milk.

Bioavailability. After ingestion, ~6–20%. During smoking, ~18–50%.

Therapeutic Concentration. After 11 subjects had smoked 11.6 to 15.6 mg (mean, 13.0) of THC from a cigarette over a period of 5 to 7 min, peak plasma concentrations of 0.03 to 0.12 mg/L (mean, 0.08) of THC were observed within 3 min after termination of smoking; the concentration fell rapidly to 0.003–0.01 mg/L (mean, 0.007) at 1 h and to 0.0006–0.003 mg/L (mean, 0.0016) at 4 h, after smoking. When 20 mg THC was given orally to the same subjects, peak plasma concentrations of 0.004–0.01 mg/L THC were produced between 60 and 300 min after ingestion [Ohlssonet al.1980]

The back of the napkin math I work out is that most people when smoking a bowl (250mg) will absorb about 5 or 10 mg of THC (250mg x 10% THC x 33% absorbed = 8.3 mg). Of course, oral dosing would need to account for the fact that the experience is a lot more "drawn out".

The thing is, you can't really compare doses of pure lab grade delta-9-THC and naturally occurring THC in edibles or bud. There may be more THC overall in a particular edible, but it's the other cannabinoids that make THC so wonderful. There are so many, CBC, CBD, CBN, CBL, etc. etc.

Curiously, I've seen phenotypic c. indica var. "kush" that has almost entirely THC in it. Likewise I've seen phenotypic "sativas" with several other cannabinoids besides THC. Most of the other cannabinoids (aside from CBD, and to some extent CBN) are not present in large amounts in the "strongly psychoactive" strains.

To a large extent, Marinol sucks because it's hars to smoke and hard to titrate your dose otherwise... its absorption is unreliable at best and sometimes it takes up to several hours to kick in.

By the way, if you can't verify its a cannabis derived extract it might be a synthetic cannabinoid. Then all bets are off... Color test reagents are your friend.

Last edited:
THC can be a solid that melts easily to a thick oil. Well made, hydrocarbon-extracted marijuana resin (BHO, naptha hash oil, "budder", "wax", the like) can be easily upwards of 60-80% THC.

The back of the napkin math I work out is that most people when smoking a bowl (250mg) will absorb about 5 or 10 mg of THC (250mg x 10% THC x 33% absorbed = 8.3 mg). Of course, oral dosing would need to account for the fact that the experience is a lot more "drawn out".

Curiously, I've seen phenotypic c. indica var. "kush" that has almost entirely THC in it. Likewise I've seen phenotypic "sativas" with several other cannabinoids besides THC. Most of the other cannabinoids (aside from CBD, and to some extent CBN) are not present in large amounts in the "strongly psychoactive" strains.

To a large extent, Marinol sucks because it's hars to smoke and hard to titrate your dose otherwise... its absorption is unreliable at best and sometimes it takes up to several hours to kick in.

By the way, if you can't verify its a cannabis derived extract it might be a synthetic cannabinoid. Then all bets are off... Color test reagents are your friend.

So if I reagent test it, other canabinoids won't interfere with the process? What if it isn't pure THC like I suspected and it's just an extract with other canabinoids present?

Pure THC is short lasting and nowhere near as enjoyable as a natural bowl of weed with all those CBNs and CBD intact. Try to procure some buds or concentrates next time, instant high and lovely taste : )

I think I may have been right. I took the capsule and when i burped it tasted like straight up hash, very dank hash at that. They are probably just extracts, not pure THC. That explains by the powder measured out to 220mg and not 75mg.

How were the effects from the capsule? Was it as strong as the dank hash taste would suggest? Also, did it really take 3 hours to hit you?

Took a little over 2 hours to peak. It felt like just an average dose of edible. My tolerance is relatively big so it wasn't overpowering or anything. I then tried vaporizing the contents of one pill and it wouldn't vaporize, it just caught fire every time. Still was effective though. The peak was about 5 hours and then it still lasted a few hours afterward.

I'm always suspicious of THC just being consumed in a pill - the act of smoking weed seems to add to its ritualistic qualities, in my opinion. Old school opium smokers would probably have felt the same way about how morphine and heroin were being introduced in pharmaceutical packaging in the 19th century...and also, yea, weed does have more than just THC acting on you, even though THC is the main thing you hear about.

But that is just your opinion and not a rational argument. Let people descide what the ROA that's best for them is, because I'm pretty sure opium tincture or drinking opium tea is nothing new, or making edibles out of weed. Why do you assume that smoking drugs has always been the way that people consumed substances?

Last edited: