• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Recreational Cannabis vs Cigarettes and Alcohol

drfeelgood1

Bluelighter
Even though some states already had legalized recreational Cannabis, do you guys think that people still are drinking more or equally the same amount of alcohol or smoking cigarettes?

Or people are smoking more Cannabis (in those States) and quitting Alcohol and cigarettes in favor of Cannabis?

Chances are if alcohol or cigs are your drug of choice, that isn't going to change just because weed got legalized. Cannabis, alcohol, and tobacco all have unique highs that share little in common.

I'm with CG on that, but I also know for a fact there are law-abiding folks who drink simply because it's the most readily available, legal source of substance-related relaxation around them.

Cigarettes are a whole 'nother ballgame, though. That tobacco addiction is a bitch to beat no matter how you go about it.

Here in Australia we do not have legal weed at all, even people with a terminal illness can hardly get it legally, although it is supposed to be legal for them but there are so many hoops to get it.

Anyway alcohol use here seems to be very high still and causing loads of issues in society with violence and other anti social behaviour (also meth would be part of that as well).

But tobacco use here has been dropping considerably because of several reasons. Taxes on tobacco products have gone through the roof in the last decade to the point where a pack of cigs can be over 30 bucks now. We have also seen the government introduce several things that the tobacco companies and the sellers have to abide by. Some of these things include plain packaging (no branding), graphic warning labels on packaging, products sold out of view (in locked cupboards etc) and no sponsorships of sporting events or advertising on TV, newspapers and magazines etc. All this along with more and more public awareness of the dangers of smoking tobacco products and general education has meant that smoking rates in Australia are at their lowest point just about ever. The hypocrisy is that the alcohol companies and sellers do not have to follow the same strict rules with alcohol packaging, sales and sponsorship.

When I was young (I'm now in my early 40's) it was so common for just about all adults to smoke, it was so affordable and so common, everyone just about did it. Huge amounts of people slowly died from smoking related cancers.

The problem is that with the massive price hikes some people still can't kick the addiction and are still smoking lots and are spending a fair chunk of their money of cigs. In the past this wasn't such an issue as the price per pack was low. Now it's high. Our government at this point will not legalise e cigs that contain nicotine either which seems to a stupid decision because it would obviously help huge amounts of long term smokers to stop smoking.

In Indonesia and many asian places the prices for smokes are still very cheap and the % of people still smoking is still pretty high. In Indonesia they have around 200,000 people dying every year from smoking related illnesses and kids 5 and 6 years old addicted to smoking, all because the price is so cheap. Yet in Indonesia a gram of cannabis can see you jailed for 5-10 years. It's insane because weed isn't killing anyone but tobacco is and yet they are so strict on weed.

We are strict on weed here too, our government is still confused and dumb, they say on one hand yeah cannabis is now a medication and can help many ailments, but it is still a dangerous drug and must remain illegal. Duh. Good one idiots. What they seem to brush aside and not think about is that cannabis is still hugely popular here in Australia so there is a massive blackmarket for it. Many people are making large amounts of money from weed, tax free.

Had tried Cannabis many times during my younger times, and I just don't like the way I feel from it. It just makes my heart beat very fast and get these panic attacks. If Cannabis were to be legal for recreational use where I am, I still would not care or bother with it.

If I had a choice of a drug to take for enjoyment, it would be Alcohol (a few cold beers)

Last edited:
Had tried Cannabis many times during my younger times, and I just don't like the way I feel from it. It just makes my heart beat very fast and get these panic attacks. If Cannabis were to be legal for recreational use where I am, I still would not care or bother with it.

If I had a choice of a drug to take for enjoyment, it would be Alcohol (a few cold beers)

Agree 100% Weed gives me panic attacks too and I hate the way pot feels. I have made a lot of money selling it tho ;). I'm an opioid/benzo, barb, liquor, opiate kind of guy myself (the high dose, powerful opioids, benzos, and opiates I really do, legit need for severe chronic pain and panic disorder. I recently got booted from pain management and can't find anyone to treat me, which makes my life hell on Earth; I get RXd plenty of Xanax tho, 8mg daily, the perfect dosage/amount for me). But you could put me in a room with 100 ponds of weed, caine, shrooms, K, etc..., leave for a day, and it would all be there when you got back.

Dude i have ready access to cannabis and i still struggle with drinking what i feel is too much alcohol. At least recently.