• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Recovered heroin addict and pain medication

howyoudoing714

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

I just had a quick question. I used to be addicted to heroin which I quit about 8 years ago and have not touched it bar a couple relapses in the first 2 years of my recovery. I was in a pretty bad car crash recently that resulted in disc injuries to my neck and was given a prescription for 10mg Vicodins. I know taking these might not be a very good idea considering my past heroin addiction but the pain I'm going through is very unbearable. My question is considering my previous opiate addiction, what is a safe amount of days I could take the Vicodin before I experience physical withdrawals? I remember back when I relapsed on heroin during my early years in recovery, if I used dope for more than 2-3 days I would feel noticeable physical withdrawals. Can I expect the same from the Vicodins? I'm curious if I take maybe 20mg a day how long it would be before I experience any withdrawals. My neck is just really jacked up right now and I feel if I were to be on these for maybe a week, my neck would be in a better state but I'm deathly afraid of getting physical withdrawals again. Any insight or anyones previous experience in a situation like this would be very helpful. Thank you!

Well normally I'd say 2-3 weeks but the fact that you've been addicted before means it will probably come a lot faster... I'd be really careful. Have you tried gabapentin? It might not be enough but its a lot less risky. Should be easy to get an rx for that too.

Well normally I'd say 2-3 weeks but the fact that you've been addicted before means it will probably come a lot faster... I'd be really careful. Have you tried gabapentin? It might not be enough but its a lot less risky. Should be easy to get an rx for that too.
I'd say anything over a week puts someone with their history at risk of becoming addicted to opiates again. I have have bad shoulder myself and try to stick with ibuprofen and acetaminophen. I'm also 8 years clean from heroin. Best of luck to op!

I have a very similar history as you and have been through the same sorts of things.

You are going to need to be on opioids for a long time wjth those types of injuries I'm sorry to break it to you.

And nobody is going to keep prescribing them to you unless you strike gold with the right doctor. You can private message me if you want to really get into a discussion of the nitty gritty about this world.