• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Recommendations needed please for a new computer capable of playing Steel Division 2/DLC’s

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
What I’ve got won’t cut it, so I’m not even buying the game.

I can buy 2 computers in July and one is probably going to be a 27 iMac with 64 gb ram and a Gt5760 gfx card/16 gb ram. That’s going to be running OS X apps including Open Office/Neo Office, photo editing and video editing. but I would be using CrossOver to run PC games. However, this will be staying at home.

For mobile PC gaming (I go to the hospital all too often) I have no idea what to get.

It won’t be a big deal if I can’t run Steel Division 2 on my iMac, I absolutely want it to run and very smoothly On the new PC laptop. The last RTS game I played was Rome Total War…..years ago. Since then it’s been Civilization or other turn based historical wargames. The Fallouts I played on Xbox or PS something.

No objections in being steered towards something expensive as long as ^^ Steel Division 2.

Thanks for reading this.

Any advice gladly accepted.

Tom

edit #1 - I’ve never had a discrete graphics card except when I was building my own computers and could still see well enough to solder 🤣

Last edited:
From what I see the recommended spec requirements you don't need anything too crazy to achieve a happy level of fluidity in gameplay. I'm not very versed with Apple at all, but I do remember issues with gaming on them due to architecture differences in OS in comparison to Win.

a 4th or 5th gen i7 could easily get the job done. If you can find something like that paired with a GTX 1080 mobile gpu or the AMD equivalent you'd be set. There isn't too much to gain in performance between the mobile GPUs for the RTX 1080 vs RTX 2080. And with the chip shortages making it seem like the mobile 3080/3090 models never went public I'd assume it made the 2080 chips more scarce.

From what I see the recommended spec requirements you don't need anything too crazy to achieve a happy level of fluidity in gameplay. I'm not very versed with Apple at all, but I do remember issues with gaming on them due to architecture differences in OS in comparison to Win.

a 4th or 5th gen i7 could easily get the job done. If you can find something like that paired with a GTX 1080 mobile gpu or the AMD equivalent you'd be set. There isn't too much to gain in performance between the mobile GPUs for the RTX 1080 vs RTX 2080. And with the chip shortages making it seem like the mobile 3080/3090 models never went public I'd assume it made the 2080 chips more scarce.

Thanks for the reply.

when I quit work in 2017 to start dialysis, I abused my position as much as possible and bought laptops with my employee purchase deduction. Those machines both were both 7th gen i7’s with 16 gb ram and a 512 gb ssd but……unfortunately integrated graphics, which was totally ok for turn based wargames and Civilizations 1-6.

I’ve never had a laptop with a separate graphics card

thanks for the ideas

Tom

Thanks for the reply.

when I quit work in 2017 to start dialysis, I abused my position as much as possible and bought laptops with my employee purchase deduction. Those machines both were both 7th gen i7’s with 16 gb ram and a 512 gb ssd but……unfortunately integrated graphics, which was totally ok for turn based wargames and Civilizations 1-6.

I’ve never had a laptop with a separate graphics card

thanks for the ideas

Tom
They aren't too bad as long as you do the footwork to find what works for you and what models won't thermal throttle under load constantly. I had an Asus ROG laptop quite a few years ago with an i7-4710HQ w/ GTX 840m. Was able to play the current gen open world games at the time like GTA 5 at 1080p with little to no frame dipping. I'd think the mobile GPU models now would be more than sufficient.

@GrymReefer 9th or 10th generation I7's have Iris integrated graphics. I might be able to get away with one of those and save some $$. As long as the new PC laptop has thunderbolt I can always pick up an external graphics card later. I can play Civ while torrenting in the background w/o a problem - but if the game wants to play a movie or video clip while torrenting; it stutters.

I'd rather have overkill than underkill if that makes sense.

Tom

A bit late to the party, but after I moved I ended up with a MacBook Air, pro and iMac.Most of the games I've purchased long ago work directly under Mac using something called crossover, which I bought.

Some games wouldn't install or run under crossover, so I tried/then bought parallels (which allow me to run Windows 10 arm64 virtualized on an M1 Mac) and was able to install and run anything that would run under crossover, including Fallout 3 GOTY, Steel Divisions 2 plus DLC's and other games (HOMM 3).

Games that are my staples (Field of Glory II and Field of Glory II Medieval, Warplan/Warplan Pacific) run just fine under crossover bottles.

Tom