• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Recommend a sleep aid

ObieWan

Bluelighter
I used to sleep soundly for 8-10 hours. Alcohol fucked up my brain and now I pretty much don't drink I still wake up at 3am or I just can't sleep. I'm starting a new job that begins at 6:45am and this will be trouble. Benadryl makes me feel cracked out and as if my head is severed from my body, palpitatioins. Can't take it. Will get Ambien soon and that works great. Chamomile is ok. Any other suggestions? Heroin works great but is too addictive to take daily.

Maybe another antihistamine? Herbal? Or illicit?

There is always melatonin. There are also drugstore sleep aids like Tylenol pm that are made just for sleep. A good indica always works for me.

Agomelatine does wonders for sleep patterns if you have access to it

I've been a chronic insomniac for as long as I can remember, going far back into my childhood, and was a big reason I became severely alcoholic.

I am rx'd Ambien and it works great. But I would absolutely advise against mixing it with alcohol. When I take it by itself I fall asleep quickly and sleep soundly with no problem. When I mixed it with alcohol is when I woke up with two black eyes and unexplained cuts on my face and I have never had a history of sleepwalking. Like with benzos, tolerance is an issue, so I don't take it when I feel I can fall asleep fairly quickly, and if I find myself taking it a few nights in a row, I alternate it with 50mg trazodone.

Remeron and doxepin are two other sedating antidepressants that can be effective. Remeron helps with sleep onset and doxepin helps you stay asleep.

I agree about antihistamines - when I was rx'd hydroxyzine, I found it difficult to even get out of bed.

Good sleep hygiene is also important. A cool, dark, silent room is ideal, although white noise (esp rain) helped me when I had insomnia from alcohol WD. Also, I had a therapist tell me don't do anything in bed except sleep or have sex so that your mind does not become accustomed to the idea that bed is where you do stuff. I had the bad habit of watching Netflix on my phone or reading a book in bed. The "blue filter" on most modern smartphones seems to help.

I have never used anything OTC except Benadryl and melatonin, but I have a friend who swears by Unisom, although I think that is another antihistamine. Melatonin is a supplement, though, where counterintuitively, less is actually more effective. Herbal teas are also good, although it is too hot in Florida most of the year to use it to unwind. But it is nice during the winter months. Oh, and Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate baths) are extremely soothing. I also take a magnesium supplement before bed as well.

Ambien really is great but I think the jury is out on whether it causes cognitive deficits long term, and I've heard there's evidence to suggest it increases consolidation of negative memories in some cases, which is obviously concerning if true. Also for me, it's just so fun that I'd take like 30mg and stay up watching cartoons and chilling out instead of actually sleeping... but if you can take it at the recommended dose and stick to that the risks are probably minimal.

Other than that, I find that Glycine can be good, I'm not sure there is any real risk to taking quite big, multi-gram doses of this. Melatonin works well too but some people find this causes them issues the next morning and taken long term is probably not advisable.

I used to use big doses of Fasoracetam sometimes, like 40-80mg, it's a weird nootropic GABA antagonist, I believe, but this is just so new and unresearched I have no idea what the long or even short term effects would be. If you don't feel a need to use Phenibut in the day, I think 500mg doses of that would be a good sleep aid.

Gaboxadal is a sleep aid which was under development by Mercke, I believe initially as a potential competitor to Ambien, and a muscimol derivative which allegedly, unlike most "hard hypnotics" actually improved sleep quality as well as inducing sleep but it was myseriously discontinued, possibly because of a very thin line between a therapeutic dose and a psychedelic dose. Obviously this sounds like the holy grail of sleep meds and I'd love to get my hands on some one day, you'd probably need to get it custom synthesised at this point though unless you have the skills to make it yourself.

Melatonin 3mg at night is incredible for insomnia. Agomelatine is also a godsend for battling against sleeplessness, I have found. Avanza, as well, I have had good results with - but the weight-gain is not ideal.

Ambien CR/Zolpidem ER 12.5 has been my mainstay and has never lost its ability to work after years of use. Once you go the run route, though, it’s pointless to take anything of the antihistamines or antidepressants like Trazadone. The extended release formulation prevents any of the weird sleep eating/cooking/driving that I experienced on the 10mg instant release; plus, the ER helps one remain asleep longer.

I also went through a trial of Temazepam 30mg and found it to work almost as well as zolpidem. Since I’m already RX’d clonazepam regularly with alprazolam PRN, it didn’t make sense to be taking 3 benzodiazepines (of course, zolpidem is similar to benzos, but different enough to make my doctor much more comfortable to prescribe my current regimen).

I also echo whoever commented about sleep hygiene; this is a critical and often overlooked aspect of successful sleep.

As far as herbal supplements go I take 2 1200mg Valerian Root capsules and a 9mg melatonin tablet. Valerian root is one of the few herbs that I have tried that actually do work.