• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Recent Psych Grad- stuck in a web, confused.

MonKeYDNA

Bluelighter
Hey guys, I'm here looking for a little guidance. I recently graduated with a B.S. in Psych with a 2.9 GPA, average GRE, and one good letter of recommendation. Unfortunately, my time spent studying Psych has led me to become disinterested in most of the disciplines that fall under the category. I began Psych with an interest in some sort of computational/AI/Human Factors or Biochem/Physio/Pharm focus. Unfortunately my school's psych program was heavily focused on Life Span Development kind of stuff and I didn't really get an opportunity to pursue my true interests. I tried out a Biochem major my sophomore year but switched back because I was smoking too much weed at the time, was in a sheety relationship, etc...

Anyways, my real interest and something I think I can be passionate about for the rest of my life is in Biochem. However, with my marks, I'm not sure how I can pursue this. I don't have a lot of money and I definitely wouldn't be first pick for grad schools, which usually require coursework from Chem 1to BioChem/OChem 2, which I don't have. Do you guys know if there's any sort of vocational type thing for chemists? Or perhaps a non university fellowship kind of thing? I don't know, any advice is greatly appreciated, tired of making pizzas :\ Thanks.

can't you take the relevant courses? Maybe distance learning, if you can find good universities that offer that program (but yeah, maybe with chemistry its harder :| I wanted to enroll in a distance learning BA in chemistry years ago, just because I wanted to learn it, but found none...)

Hey guys, I'm here looking for a little guidance. I recently graduated with a B.S. in Psych with a 2.9 GPA, average GRE, and one good letter of recommendation. Unfortunately, my time spent studying Psych has led me to become disinterested in most of the disciplines that fall under the category. I began Psych with an interest in some sort of computational/AI/Human Factors or Biochem/Physio/Pharm focus. Unfortunately my school's psych program was heavily focused on Life Span Development kind of stuff and I didn't really get an opportunity to pursue my true interests. I tried out a Biochem major my sophomore year but switched back because I was smoking too much weed at the time, was in a sheety relationship, etc...

Anyways, my real interest and something I think I can be passionate about for the rest of my life is in Biochem. However, with my marks, I'm not sure how I can pursue this. I don't have a lot of money and I definitely wouldn't be first pick for grad schools, which usually require coursework from Chem 1to BioChem/OChem 2, which I don't have. Do you guys know if there's any sort of vocational type thing for chemists? Or perhaps a non university fellowship kind of thing? I don't know, any advice is greatly appreciated, tired of making pizzas :\ Thanks.

I have felt your pain. My decision to go to grad school came while I was a busboy/dishwasher in a nursing home in my late twenties.

First I will start with what I know. You are correct that grad schools will not accept you with your current credentials. However, there may still be hope. Most grad schools want at least three letters of recommendation. If you could get two more you'd be set. Really, the only other room for improvement is with your GRE score. You are allowed to take it multiple times. I would call the main office of the Biochem department at several universities and ask to talk to someone who can help with admissions. Ask if a high GRE could compensate for a 2.9 GPA. Someone is bound to say yes. If some schools say yes, I would study my ass off and try to kick ass on the GRE. When you call the Biochem department, also ask about taking some coursework to get caught up on your subject before you begin the program.

Before you give up on grad school, try researching some programs and call their Biochem departments. They have people who are paid to help potential students like you. Tell them everything you told us, except for the drug use and non-academic shit obviously.

if you're serious about getting into graduate school, i think the first step is to take the prerequisite courses you need as a part-time student. A's in those classes mean a lot more than sub-par grades earlier in your academic career (you have to get A's though). this will give you a chance to demonstrate that you have competence in the subject, as well as the dedication to follow through on your goals. hopefully you can also use this as an opportunity to get another strong reference letter, and possibly even some involvement with research.

likewise, you probably have some room for improvement on your GRE. i used to teach for Kaplan, and there are some very legitimate, effective strategies that can improve your score significantly. their courses are kind of expensive, but i'm sure you can find some cheap/free study materials and make a lot of progress on your own.

it's completely possible to leverage a mediocre undergrad performance into a graduate degree in something else. four years ago i was a waiter with a BS in Psych, and decided i wanted to make a shift into statistical modeling. i took two semesters of part-time courses at a local university and was admitted (with a full scholarship) to a graduate program in applied math. i oriented my coursework and thesis research towards the career i was aiming for, and graduated with a job lined up developing models for a major bank. it's not the easiest thing in the world, but i was a lot hungrier for success after a few years of waiting tables than i was as an aimless, complacent undergrad.