• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Re-using bud after making bubble hash

effingcustie

Bluelighter
I have a lot of nugs on hand so I'm going to do some nug run bubble bag hash. I know this isn't a very efficient extraction method, and I assume this is because a lot of the trichomes stay attached to the plant material. Does this mean that the material could be re-dried afterwards and used to make edibles to get what's still left?

Get a drill stirrer.. one with low gear ratio. Stired not blended right. Give it enough agitation to loosen the tris but not mash the plant material into the mix. Should get most of them off. You could try an alcohol extraction to candy as a secound hurrah, but i don;t know what the results will be like.

Hey,I just did a run off buds and trim,the tricomes freeze and sink the plant matter will float so all that is left is tricomes but then u can make this into rosin anyway!
freeze the bud first too peace :))

Well I did a run on 29g of bud. Broke it all up into small pieces, and froze it over night, stirred very well for quite a while. The yield still seems low to me, I'm guessing it won't be much more than 2g dried. Maybe that's about normal.

At any rate I have the bag with all the plant material sitting in the sun for the ice to melt, and then I'll dry that and try making some edibles just as an experiment. Will report back with how it goes.

10% yield isn't horrible. Unfortunately bubble seems to yield pretty low even if you're running nugs, but I'm glad you're making it. Hopefully what does come out is some really nice full melt.

Did you use bubblebags or an off brand kit?

What micron sizes did you run?

It is an off brand kit I got on Amazon for 30 bucks so I'm sure that's part of it :D

I prefer to just use 3 bags - 25, 73, and 220 (the kit also has 120 and 160, but I get so little on them that it's not really worth it), which leaves me with some lower grade hash that's still very smokeable and tasty, and some really nice melty stuff on the 25 screen.

I've heard that some of the off brand bags have a different screen material than the bubbleman brand which messes with the quality/yield, but it could be bullshit. I know those bags are really pricey for what they are, but there's a lot of people who swear by em.

I'm sure that 73 is nice too. Atleast you didn't beat the shit out of it and let a bunch of contaminant through so there's always a bright side to a yield you're unhappy with. I have no experience with those bags but maybe try them out for a few more runs and see what you think. If you're getting really nice quality I'd stick with them

Different strains will fill different bags. So if you switch strains you may want to add back in those other bags

There is no need to re-dry the bud if you are going to make edibles.

Here is how we used to do it:

Collect the plant material from the top bag.
Put the wet plant matter in a stock pot with water and butter (1-2 sticks butter/ounce plant material).
Bring this to a boil and simmer for about an hour.
Strain the hot pot, butter water "soup" into another container and save the soup (you can throw out the plant material now).
Place soup into the fridge over night. The butter will float to the top and solidify.
Remove the solid butter layer and place it in some mason jars. Remove any residual water from the jars with a paper towel or just decant it.
Use butter to make edibles.
Store leftovers in the fridge or freezer depending on how fast you plan to use it.

The water butter method is great for making butter, because there is no risk of things getting too hot and yet it still decarboxylates the THC. It also removes the vast majority of water soluble things like chlorophyll, making the final product taste more like regular cookies or brownies.