Raw dogging Schizoaffective / Bipolar

greenlight204

Bluelighter
Has anyone here actually successfully gone med-free for a significant period of time, while diagnosed schizoaffective/schizophrenic/bipolar/psychosis?

Would love to hear your stories and thoughts.

I've been prescribed Anti psychotics for over 4 years now, but when I had my drug induced psychosis in 2015, I went 2.5 years without meds. I was happy, albeit a bit disorganized and crazy, but I didn't have to rely on meds nor deal with side effects.

What I do remember is reaching a point where my life was completely going to shit and I had no recourse minus going to get help from a psychiatrist. I had no idea what else to do. My life began to improve somewhat slowly.

Went back on the meds and have gone through 11+ AP's, at this point pretty god damn sick of the same song and dance.

Thanks to these god damn pills I feel zero creativity flowing through me anymore and I feel like the ultimate shell of my former self. I have no idea who I even am anymore. I can't enjoy anything unless I'm medicated. I have Z E R O !!!! motivation to do anything. I can't tell if its the pills, or this potential "disease" I may have, both, or neither.

What I can say is I used to be my favorite person in the world who absolutely loved every facet of life and was the life of the party at one point. I was healthy and looked good due to not being so drugged up all the time.

I will be reaching my 30's soon which is making me extremely concerned about the long term effects of these medications on my body, brain, and health. At my peak use of AP's I gained 45 pounds, looked swelled up due to inflammation, and overall was a disgusting piece of shit.

I feel like I've lost 4 years of my youth and life due to these drugs, and that is probably one of the worst feelings I have ever felt before. I can hardly remember a lot that has happened these heavily medicated past 4 years and my memory is especially not what it used to be. I feel too young to be dealing with issues like that.

I had a hard time holding down a job before medication until I became my own boss and ran my own gig. Now, with meds, I held onto one for 3 years and got promoted twice with the most pay I've ever made before of course, hating how I felt with the meds, generally being sick of how I felt and started weaning myself off of them.

Disclaimer: my psychiatrist has expressed interest in getting me off of AP's and does potentially think I can completely get rid of all of them. It's a slow give and take to examine how I do.

The entire 2022 year I have fumbled around with the pills, not sustaining any particular regimen but taking them "as needed", lost that job and then another, and now am unemployed finding a really hard time in obtaining a new job unless I take meds.

I'm in a weird fucking place and I'd rather just shoot my brains out hahaha

One thing is for sure I do not want to go back to feeling like total shit due to taking medicine. And before anyone suggests to find another anti psychotic to try I have tried literally 12 different types. I think my body has gotten the memo

SO! Who here has successfully raw dogged their diagnosis! Tell me success stories and give me hope! I want to live a happy free life not dependent on anything else except food, water, supplements, and SEX! Yeeeeeeehawwww

Not med-free as I use benzos to deal with it. Anxiety worsens it. The highs can start from anything (but not nearly as often as before). Stimulants are a 50/50

I have schizophrenia and the meds dont really make much of a difference I get pretty bad psychosis every 2 to 3 years , usually lasts a couple months.

So when I'm a free man once again I might just taper and quit anti-psychotics, I dont have any side effects but I am really concerned with the risk of developing tardive dyskinesia in the long run .

I had a drug psychosis 4 or 5 years ago, the diagnosis was drug induced schizophrenia but in retrospect I'm not sure if that's correct. In any case I mostly recovered. The APs never really helped much with the symptoms and I eventually stopped taking them, but they did help in other ways too that weren't so obvious at the time.

As long as I stay away from drugs I am mostly symptom free and feel fine. Drugs and heavy alcohol make symptoms come back but nothing like it was before.

I got a script for quetiapine and prefer that over any other AP because I can take it as needed and it has a short half life. I mostly just take very low doses for sleep.

Maybe quetiapine would be a good option for you, if as you say you can only hold on to a job if you're on meds.

Personally I found risperidone to be OK because it had much less side effects like drowsiness, weight gain and anhedonia, compared to other APs. Everyone is different though.

I was med free in the psych ward and was totally psychotic with cotards syndrome and thought i was in purgatory so fuck that shit. I find latuda works with no side effects really

I was med free in the psych ward and was totally psychotic with cotards syndrome and thought i was in purgatory so fuck that shit. I find latuda works with no side effects really
I tried that years ago, I don't remember it doing much for me but good for you

I had a drug psychosis 4 or 5 years ago, the diagnosis was drug induced schizophrenia but in retrospect I'm not sure if that's correct. In any case I mostly recovered. The APs never really helped much with the symptoms and I eventually stopped taking them, but they did help in other ways too that weren't so obvious at the time.

As long as I stay away from drugs I am mostly symptom free and feel fine. Drugs and heavy alcohol make symptoms come back but nothing like it was before.

I got a script for quetiapine and prefer that over any other AP because I can take it as needed and it has a short half life. I mostly just take very low doses for sleep.

Maybe quetiapine would be a good option for you, if as you say you can only hold on to a job if you're on meds.

Personally I found risperidone to be OK because it had much less side effects like drowsiness, weight gain and anhedonia, compared to other APs. Everyone is different though.
Yeah I have no idea what I have anymore. I haven't seen a doctor in half a year either due to no insurance

Seroquel is okay, I haven't been able to cross the plateau where I can take it and it doesn't knock me on my ass and make my eyes beet red

I have schizophrenia and the meds dont really make much of a difference I get pretty bad psychosis every 2 to 3 years , usually lasts a couple months.

So when I'm a free man once again I might just taper and quit anti-psychotics, I dont have any side effects but I am really concerned with the risk of developing tardive dyskinesia in the long run .
If I could quit them forever I would. I honestly might

I tried raw dogging bipolar 2 because I thought it was substance induced and now I have bipolar 1 after a huge depressive episode and huge manic episode. Symptom free after getting on a *good* combination of meds that work for me and have no real side effects.

I do understand why people want to not be on meds due to the ridiculous side effect profile, and while I'm lucky that they work for me I respect people's decision if the negatives outweigh the positives of being medicated.