• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random Rats: Pay the Piper AND suffer the consequences

andyjackson

Greenlighter
(Please see final 2 paragraphs for Rat problem)
This week I hatched a genius plan to cut down the days spent in transit on my current holidays by driving all night to my first stop. En route, the plan evolved to picking up a little Speed 20 mins drive from my destination. The extra day all but seized. All but.. I ended up with DUI and minimum 8 months license suspension..

While the policeman ran through the formalities, I could smell a dead rat that must have been in my engine bay since leaving home.

Aanyway live in amongst dense bushland and have had trouble before with rats in my house walls and cars. To prevent killing native wildlife unnecessarily, all baits and traps have to be in the house or inside the rat accessible parts of the car. Baits luring them to all the tasty wiring and plastics they love isn't ideal.

What is the strongest rat repellant? How do i prevent vulnerable native critters getting hurt? Running the car can only be 1km stretch of Bush track for the next 8 months.

Im very concerned that 'paying the piper' in this situation will involve considerable car repairs

Thanks for that, didn't know that one.
Recently a co-workers Landcruiser 300 had a whole strip of weather sealing eaten and an inlaws audi effectively written off while it was waiting for parts at the mechanic. Ammonia sounds awful enough to work

Last edited:
Selontra by BASF. Contains cholecalciferol, a non anticoagulant rodenticide.

I work in pest control and we call it 'rat crack' because they just keep coming back for more.

Plus there are no secondary poisoning issues, so any non target species consuming the carcasses are at no risk.

lol, the mental image of someone chasing around rats and choking them out with a rag of ammonia
Man, those fuckers are huge in the NW ...
ive seen people hang like dishtowels soaked in it
I just drilled a few 1/2 in holes ...a bunch of stream sprays of ammonia and theyre gone forever

dont even have to harm em'