• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Rapid heart rate days after cocaine use

blackvanilla

Greenlighter
little bit of background;
i'm a pretty healthy 19yo female who is not an active cocaine user. i don't consider myself to have any sort of dependency or history of long term abuse (although i did use it for a couple of weeks back in september). ive never used any other hard drug and really only smoke weed outside of this
last monday i was on a two day streak of using coke and i did probably close to a gram in the span of 7 hours and stopped at around 11pm. at like 1 am i started feeling extremely lightheaded and thought i was gonna pass out so i sat down. i felt my heart rate go up to about 125bpm and after that went on for a half hour with no chance of slowing down i went to the emergency room and was wheezing and shaking the entire way there. they took an ekg and told me it was palpitations and let me go
wednesday (yesterday) i figured it was safe to do a little bit more because i still have some left and didn't want it to go to waste so i did about four lines in the span of three hours and went to work. about two or three hours after my last use my heart rate shot up to 120bpm and it felt like it was beating out of my chest. i left work took a xanax and went to bed and everything seemed fine
ive never had a history of any health problems at all besides anxiety and don't understand why this keeps happening to me. my friend thinks it's me just giving myself anxiety attacks thinking about what happened monday and not the actual coke itself. when i was doing it back in september i had absolutely no health problems and was a lot more active then than i am now. i feel how one would normally feel on coke when im doing it but don't seem to have problems until a couple of hours later. is this a thing that happens to other people or is it all in my head???

Hi there!
I have a friend with a similar experience. Three days of use, and on the 3rd day, heart rate elevated to 140. It finally leveled out at 120, and it's been that way for 36 hours now. Everyone is advising my friend that she should seek medical attention, but I was concerned for her that there would be some issue with the fact that she had used. When you went into the hospital, did they ask about drug use and if so, did you tell them? And was there any problem that came of it?

And to answer your question in your post, my friend experienced that starting about an hour after last use. So yes, this happens to other people. I don't know about others, but my friend is staying very calm about this, has taken xanax to see if that would help, and her heartrate remained above 120 whereas with "just anxiety", you can experience fluctuations in the heart rate, not a fairly steady increased heart rate. Hope that helps, and I would love to hear from you about whether there was any trouble at the ER.