• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

rapamycin, mTORC1 and substance abuse prevention

asecin

Bluelighter
hi i found very interesting article regarding rapamycin and being possible that by blocking mTORC1 it can help with alcoholism and other substance abuse and addiction issues. here is the article i found; http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319373.php

whats your opinion on this. specifically, i read in the article that alcohol and drugs actually stimulate mTORC1 and hence redosing and addiction and rapamycin is helpful versus, BUT, on wikipedia i read alcohol is actually INHIBITOR of mTORC1 just like resveratrol, curcumin and rapamycin. someone care to give their educated opinion on this?

and i want to ask, do you guys know of alternatives to rapamycin that might inhibit mTORC1 besides resveratrol and curcumin, since those are supplements with very weak value?

mTORC1 activates protein synthesis.
If you chronically block mTORC1, such as with rapamycin, your skeletal muscle will almost always be in a catabolic state. I.e., it will break down slowly.
Consequently, targeting mTORC1 for addiction, or any other brain-related disorder for that matter, is a fairly retarded idea IMO.

^Correct.

People such as Longecity types may want to block mTOR because it may decrease the risk of cancer, but by and large increasing mTOR activation will likely help with mental health (especially depression which can be a big cause of drug use)

^Correct.

People such as Longecity types may want to block mTOR because it may decrease the risk of cancer, but by and large increasing mTOR activation will likely help with mental health (especially depression which can be a big cause of drug use)

i see. so things that are inhibitors of mTORC1 are actually bad, from what i gather on wikipedia with references to medical articles; EGCG, resveratrol, curcumin, caffeine, and alcohol but simulators like L-leucine and β-hydroxy β-methylbutyric acid would actually be good, for depression especially??

Ketamine in particular is thought to be effective for depression in part due to mTOR activation

i read about ketamine and its NMDA recetor association and anti-depression but i didnt know about that, interesting.

i really am looking for anything, any substance legally easily obtained that is, affects the mTOR

All mTORC1 activation does is signal to your ribosomes to literally just "build shit", not synthesize "antidepressant proteins" in particular. The only thing a nonspecific mTOR activator will likely help is your muscle mass, not your brain health. Something else needs to tell your ribosomes what to synthesize.

All mTORC1 activation does is signal to your ribosomes to literally just "build shit", not synthesize "antidepressant proteins" in particular. The only thing a nonspecific mTOR activator will likely help is your muscle mass, not your brain health. Something else needs to tell your ribosomes what to synthesize.

something like exercise. this builds muscle but its known for brain health as well. i wonder if taking somehing affecting mTORC1 like l leucine + exercise will boost not only muscle mass but deplete depression as well