• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Ran out of Xanax, only Klonopin left, can’t taper

Scottc

Greenlighter
I’ve been on Xanax for 7 months so now with dose slowly building. My psychiatrist put me on klonopin as an alternative. But was going thru a crisis and continued to get xanax and was up to 7 or so a day (yes, I know it was a lot, crisis sucked and my tolerance kept increasing. The crisis is over and was about to start a taper). My source is out of xanax, can I go cold turkey and just replace with klonopin? I was only taking 1-1.5 mg klonopin per day so I can up the dosage? Psychiatrist told me when he replaced xanax with klonopin, it takes away risk of seizure etc. but it’s a big drop from 7 xan a day to 0 and need to know just klonopin is sufficient.

Yes, you can taper with klonopin or diazepam, klonopin takes out the risk of seizures, is one of the best GABAergics for convulsions.

Plus it has a long half life so you dose just once a day, this way you work on the urge to redose.

The equivalency of the xanax and clonazepam can be found in the Ashton manual or a conversion app.

If you tell me how much 7 xanax means for you I can look it up and convert it, because Xanax is in 0.25,0.50,1mg formulations in EU and in US you got the 2mg ones too.

Yes you can safely taper with Klonopin as they are both Benzos

Yes, you can taper with klonopin or diazepam, klonopin takes out the risk of seizures, is one of the best GABAergics for convulsions.

Plus it has a long half life so you dose just once a day, this way you work on the urge to redose.

The equivalency of the xanax and clonazepam can be found in the Ashton manual or a conversion app.

If you tell me how much 7 xanax means for you I can look it up and convert it, because Xanax is in 0.25,0.50,1mg formulations in EU and in US you got the 2mg ones too.
The xan are 1 mg tablets. Would that mean I’d start with 7 mg klonopin?! I don’t have enough to do that. I get a refill for 90 on Wednesday (my psychiatrist won’t fill any more) and trying to find another psychiatrist who would taper me but it challenging as everyone has suggested detox.

Last edited:
Klonopin is slightly more potent. But it's a perfect taper BZD because of its long half life. Step down a quarter milligram each week I'd say.

Klonopin is slightly more potent. But it's a perfect taper BZD because of its long half life. Step down a quarter milligram each week I'd say.
I was talking 7 mg of xan a day, so that would mean taking close to that in Klonopin? and then tapering each week.

You could probably take less but really you should consult a BZD equivelancy chart like others said.