• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Ramping up opioid use to avoid benzo dependency

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
I need someone to talk me out of accepting a new 1 st time benzo dependency. I’ve being using them way less sparingly and almost decided I don’t care if I get dependent now.

I use to fear being dependent so much I never used benzos daily. I’m still terrorized but just live for the moment sort of fuck the future mindset RN.

I kinda feel like maybe diving higher dosage into opiates which I have a very low dependency on might keep me away from benzos. I know I can come off heavy opioid withdrawal…benzo I don’t know if I could do it

Do you plan to taper the Benzo's and what dosage's are you taking? Have you ever had an insult or are Epileptic?

The two work so different when stopping a Benzo dependency the Opiate will not cover the GABA receptor and Sodium channel's. Offcourse it will give relief but that is inherent to Opiate's but irrelevant if your dependant on Benzo's. Just like Benzo's cover only the GABA-a part of Alcohol WD and prevent a possible seizure.
So what is your plan, and while I am at it which Opiate you have in mind?

That's like, the definition of "robbing Peter to pay Paul" if I've ever seen it.
But arguably you do have a bit of a point, though opioids will not fully substitute for benzos, getting off of benzos is usually more painful than opioids (but neither are very pleasant at all),

Why do you feel the need to use benzos at all? Considered developing some mindfulness? Or using alternative drugs to manage anxiety - CBD, propranolol, buspirone etc?

That's like, the definition of "robbing Peter to pay Paul" if I've ever seen it.
But arguably you do have a bit of a point, though opioids will not fully substitute for benzos, getting off of benzos is usually more painful than opioids (but neither are very pleasant at all),

Why do you feel the need to use benzos at all? Considered developing some mindfulness? Or using alternative drugs to manage anxiety - CBD, propranolol, buspirone etc?
It’s all chronic pain.

I stay within the law and doctors scripts for pain

The problem is he cannot raise the opioid dosage or he will go to prison for the rest of his life (he’s in his 70s) - I’m in America if that wasn’t a giveaway

The benzo helps with the pain. The opioid dosage is too low for the pain..but adding in the benzo it helps manage the pain. Honestly I’d rather just have a higher dosage or better/stronger opioid than have the opioid +benzo combo.

Due to our moronic drug policy I’m looking at getting a 2nd dependency or addiction because for doctors managing pain with opioids now carries prison terms similar to rape and murder.

I’ve tried everything from mindfulness to reading all kinds of books on nuroplastic chronic pain. All sorts of lifestyle changes PT, interventioanal treatments surgery….I am very healthy otherwise and really fit still from lots of training during low pain times before it got this bad. we are way past the point of trying other treatment modalities and drugs are the proper treatment at this time…I do have one or more interventional treatments coming up but I have a full time job and responsibilities I need to be in low levels of pain to handle right now and drugs are the only solution for that anyone has provided

Last edited:
Do you plan to taper the Benzo's and what dosage's are you taking? Have you ever had an insult or are Epileptic?

The two work so different when stopping a Benzo dependency the Opiate will not cover the GABA receptor and Sodium channel's. Offcourse it will give relief but that is inherent to Opiate's but irrelevant if your dependant on Benzo's. Just like Benzo's cover only the GABA-a part of Alcohol WD and prevent a possible seizure.
So what is your plan, and while I am at it which Opiate you have in mind?
No seizure history.

Always a never ending goal to taper off all drugs but chronic pain has made it hard. I’m working on other procedures and maybe surgery and perhaps the pain will end one day and I will quickly taper off everything at that point…this actually has happened a few times in the past 5 years…pain went down and I got clean

I would much, much rather accept being somewhat more dependent on just opiods than on lower dose of opiod but on benzos too. Don’t need to think twice about that.

I find opiates more mentally challenging than benzodiazepines but the mental aspect of coming off the benzos is way more intense in my experience
Iv had full on hallucinations and weeks with little to no sleep at all but with opiates I’m usually a bit sweaty maybe some vomiting then by day two I’m just like a bad flu then by day four it’s almost over
If it wasn’t for the chronic pain I’d have gotten rid of the oxy/danymack years ago but by god I still love benzo
Good luck brother

More often than not people figure out what some habit took them and how it prevented them from living their full potential only when they overcome it.
In that case addiction is negative, obviously

I was thinking more in terms of being traumatized and suicidal which some percentage of users are, then it can be positive

You dont have to think about addictions as "negative". Because more often than not, they can be positive, especially with benzos
I would agree with this. I have debilitating anxiety, and benzos help me function in a major way. This outweighs their acute side effects.

It's only when I am forced to stop taking benzos do they become detrimental to my life.

I would agree with this. I have debilitating anxiety, and benzos help me function in a major way. This outweighs their acute side effects.

It's only when I am forced to stop taking benzos do they become detrimental to my life.
Yes, paradoxically this is what I think too. I am naturally willing to risk alzheimers and dementia if the quality of my life is raised to "liveable" or higher

While I was abusing etizolam I didn’t want to face how much it’s ruining my life and only focused on positive it brings to me. Now-days when my benzo use is really minimal (like today 2.5mg of dizepam and I’ll keep it at that) beside muscle relaxing properties that help me with my pain and avoiding rebound anxiety I really strive to stop benzos totally as when I manage to stay clean of them long enough I really appreciate mental clarity that starts coming back. So memory impairing and other side-effects of benzos out-weight positive sides in my case. But I’m in no way trying to suggest it’s like that in your cases too. And I also have a bit different view on use of word addiction in this case. If person uses benzos at normally prescribed levels it’s nothing like abusing them in amounts all too often seen with users on this site. In cases where people are using equivalent of something like hundred(s) of milligrams of diazepam, well than, than I really can’t see that as having positive out-weighting negative sides in just about any case but when person is terminally ill and few other rare scenarios.

Having come off of both high dose opiates and benzos, I'll tell you that I would much rather be addicted to opiates. Opiate withdrawals sucks, but you get over it. When I withdrew from benzos, I didn't even know where I was, I was fully hallucinating, and I didn't sleep for about a week. I literally thought I had been taken to a foreign country.

I've dabbled with opiates since then, but haven't touched a benzo since. 100% unequivocally, absolutely, not worth it.

In my opinion, the only use for benzos is for VERY short term relief of opiate withdrawal, or for use in acute panic attacks. There is absolutely no reason somebody should be taking a benzo more than once a week.

That shit is the fucking devil.

Having come off of both high dose opiates and benzos, I'll tell you that I would much rather be addicted to opiates. Opiate withdrawals sucks, but you get over it. When I withdrew from benzos, I didn't even know where I was, I was fully hallucinating, and I didn't sleep for about a week. I literally thought I had been taken to a foreign country.

I've dabbled with opiates since then, but haven't touched a benzo since. 100% unequivocally, absolutely, not worth it.

In my opinion, the only use for benzos is for VERY short term relief of opiate withdrawal, or for use in acute panic attacks. There is absolutely no reason somebody should be taking a benzo more than once a week.

That shit is the fucking devil.
The reason is that opioids are basically illegal now in America so benzos are easier to get for chronic pain.

The only option I seem to have is benzo dependency or to break the law for higher opioid doses after a decade of not doing so.

No good options here

I need someone to talk me out of accepting a new 1 st time benzo dependency. I’ve being using them way less sparingly and almost decided I don’t care if I get dependent now.

I use to fear being dependent so much I never used benzos daily. I’m still terrorized but just live for the moment sort of fuck the future mindset RN.

I kinda feel like maybe diving higher dosage into opiates which I have a very low dependency on might keep me away from benzos. I know I can come off heavy opioid withdrawal…benzo I don’t know if I could do it
Honestly if I could pick. I'd go for a massive opioid dependance rather than a tiny benzo dependance. I have both. I'm prescribed 125mg daily of oxy and stuck on 100mg diazepam (30mg is prescribed the other 70mg IS NOT PRESCRIBED I MUST BUY iT).

I wish opioids were prescribed for anxiety as they are super effective.

No seizure history.

Always a never ending goal to taper off all drugs but chronic pain has made it hard. I’m working on other procedures and maybe surgery and perhaps the pain will end one day and I will quickly taper off everything at that point…this actually has happened a few times in the past 5 years…pain went down and I got clean
Get it, same path I am following. Chronic pain that also disturbes my sleeping. Besides my already poor sleeping architecture. Opiate's and Benzodiazepine's are the only two that have an effect on this.

The two hardest medication's to get a prescription for but also the only ones that work. personally when I am in pain ( Kratom ) or have sleeping issues ( Benzo RC's ) taking these not necessarrily leed's to addiction. Do I get used to them yes, but I am careful with the benzo's as I know addiction to these should be avoided by all means neccessary. But If I wake up in pain or nervous for an upcoming appointment I always have to choose wisely if and how much I should dose in that particular case.

A very calculated evaluation imo, pro's against con's. Totally unlike a true addiction like to Alcohol, which wrecked my life for 3 + year's long. Where I switched place with the bottle, it took me instead of the other way around. Pure psychological an Physical dependancy, worst drug experience ever.

Honestly I been addicted to benzos 17 years. Started with Xanaax sticks. Eventually took 10 -15:a day and knowone knew. I couldnt gef them a few days had a seizure. My kidneys failed and I was dehydrated. Almost died and was hallucinating for days. I never recovered 100%. Im on klonopin now. I dont feel a high and dont feel addicted but to come off benzos u better go to detox. Cause u can die. Best of luck.