R.I.P. Ginger Baker - Passed away today aged 80

Amazing drummer, extremely 'difficult' personality.

A friend of mine witnessed the famous fight onstage between Baker and Roy Harper on the main (pyramid) stage Glastonbury, very early 80's. Harper had (as per) run on late with his set and Ginger Baker's band were due to nest as headliners. Baker though he could intimidate the slightly built hippy into finishing up by coming on and setting up his drums in front of him while he was still playing. Harper flew into a rage and twatted Ginger resulting in many punches thrown and Harper being dragged away by roadies and security.

The crowd sided with Roy, and began chanting "Harper...Harper" as Baker's band set up. During their first track someone threw a large stone at Baker, hitting him plum on the forehead. To his credit the wildman barely flinched and just carried on. The wound required stitches later on and Baker spent the next day asking all and sundry if anyone knew who threw the stone so he could settle the score. True story.

RIP to a bona fide legend and genuine loon. Oh, and thanks for the fukkin amazing drumming on Hawkwind's 'Levitation' album too

Amazing drummer, extremely 'difficult' personality.
Oh, and thanks for the fukkin amazing drumming on Hawkwind's 'Levitation' album too

Abso-fuckin-lutely!

It's a shame he couldn't have stayed with Hawkwind longer - but his difficult personality led to him being sacked after the 'Levitation' tour. Apparently, they were desperate to get rid of him for a while, but were too scared to tell him. Eventually, the bassist Harvey Bainbridge was nominated to deliver the news as most of the friction was between those two anyway. When Bainbridge told him, Baker kept his cool and just said "So the world's best drummer is being sacked by the world's worst bass player..." Ouch! :!

I personally, don't think he was 'difficult', just unbelievably candid, to the point where projected to general audiences, didn't translate - that, imho is not a negative aspect.

<3

Last edited:
His one of the best drummers I've ever heard by far, I actually felt quite sad when I heard it on the Channel 4 news yesterday.
Cream are one of my most loved bands, I know the track is well known but Sunshine Of Your Love is just crushing & Ginger's drumming is spot on.

That documentary about him Beware of Mr. Baker was on BBC4 some months back, the guy was wild & lived one hell of a life.
If I can be just 1% as great as he was I'll have done ok.