• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Quit Meth for good and prescribed Adderall/Bupropion. I have questions.

Twackademy

Bluelighter
Haven't posted here in quite some time, I had to take a break from most everything in my life and clear my head.

BUT I'M BACK! Muhahaha

Nah, for real though. Quick recap for those who don't know me:

• ADD since early childhood, prescribed Ritalin/Concerta daily from age 5 - 16.
  • Got into the music industry in my early twenties and was introduced to most of the popular recreational drugs (Nicotine, Alcohol, Cannabis, Cocaine, MDMA, Meth, etc.)
  • Resigned from my good job earlier this year due to a failed drug test
  • Joined Bluelight to convince myself I didn't have a problem
  • Realized I didn't have a problem, but I was definitely self medicating with Meth. Did outpatient rehab, called bullshit on a lot of ideals but gained insight into my behavior.
  • Packed my car on May 1st this year and just drove. Literally visited everyone I know and stayed gone for a whole month on the road, completely sober.
  • Came home, admitted to myself I was depressed and talked to a Teledoc who prescribed 300mg Buproprion until I could get to see an in person doc.
  • Saw my new doc yesterday and this is where I will share my story
I told my doctor EVERYTHING. I mean everything.
Told him about the childhood diagnosis, my troubles in school after stopping medication, my drug use through out the years and the most recent using of meth on the weekends.
Told him how I'd weigh my doses and use meth to get shit done in my off time and not trying to really achieve a high, but a focused mind state.
Told him about rehab and that 12 steps is bullshit propaganda designed to condemn positive education about chemical reactions and behaviors.
Told him I've been 138 days sober, I only smoke CBD flower and I don't even drink a daily beer anymore.
Told him the Buproprion has helped my depression, but I can't focus to save my life and I want to find a job and go back to school.

He sat down in front of me and said something that made me feel not crazy and also hopeless at the same time:

Between my childhood stimulant use and my adult meth use, nothing but stimulants will give me the level of focus I desire.
He patiently explained that I can indeed let my dopamine and serotonin receptors heal over time and the depression should fade, but as far as being patiently focused on tasks and not having crippling brain fog the treatment is stimulants.

He prescribed me 20mg Adderall IR daily to start, on the condition that I see him once a month and submit a urine sample, and be honest about what doses I'm taking and when.

He encouraged trying different times and schedules, the pills he prescribed are 10mg and can be cut in half for 5mg. So he said I can try 5mg, 10mg, 15mg, 20mg on different schedules and see what works best.

He said over time we can go up to 60mg daily but let's try lower doses first which I agree with.

He cut my Bupropion from 300mg to 150mg and said I can keep taking it as long as I want.

So, first of all I encourage anyone self medicating illegally to find a good doctor to talk to, albeit I got lucky, because I was nervous at first but my doctor heard me out as an adult.

Second, has anyone been down a similar path that I'm going down?
I'm 28, in 10 years I don't want to be taking 100mg of Amphetamines every day to be able to focus on life tasks and be successful at them.
Should I take tolerance breaks?
Should I take supplements to combat tolerance?
Should I switch medications every few years or so?
So many questions lol

I took my first dose of 10mg almost 2 hours ago and I do have that familiar focused buzz going and I want to get things done ( like my college application) So the medication is obviously effective, but I don't want to fuck this up.

Sorry this is such a long post, but the devil is always in the details ain't it?

Much love,

Twack

P.S. @ControlDaddy @Perforated Ya'll still my homies

Last edited:
How refreshing to hear that your Dr. listened to you and respected you. Then he helped you. Great news and good for you.

Sounds like you have come a long way and I know your friends and family are proud of you.

Careful with those addies. I understand your Dr. is going to monitor you and keep you in check. He can't be with you IRL though and there are ways to get around our behavior without letting our Dr. in on it. Not saying you have the slightest propensity for that but getting the addies ( even though they are going to be of great value ) can also go tits up before we even realize what is happening.

Best of luck with your college application and I do so hope that this is the answer to all that has plagued you so far. Respect, man.

That's a good doctor. What you said would scare off many lesser psychiatrists.

Take some magnesium glycinate daily along with some l-tyrosine in the afternoon. Eat, sleep and drink water. Take as many breaks as possible, such as on the weekends. And you should be fine.

I'd maybe drop the bupropion though. Taking monoamine reuptake inhibitors like bupropion with releasing agents such as adderall is sort of counterproductive.

Does escalation does often occur over time. I was recently prescribed 30mg/day of dexedrine, which is around 45mg of adderall equivalent, and I find myself sort of running out/taking more. I don't find it recreational, any mood enhancing effects are short lived, but I do find a dependence forms to the effect. Hard to get the day started without it.

That's a good doctor. What you said would scare off many lesser psychiatrists.

Take some magnesium glycinate daily along with some l-tyrosine in the afternoon. Eat, sleep and drink water. Take as many breaks as possible, such as on the weekends. And you should be fine.

I'd maybe drop the bupropion though. Taking monoamine reuptake inhibitors like bupropion with releasing agents such as adderall is sort of counterproductive.
I learned a new word today.

Monoamine. :)

The way my doc explained it is the Adderall releases dopamine and Bupropion keeps the dopamine in my brain longer, which is why it has anti-depressant effects and can also be a off label treatment for ADD/ADHD.

He's my PCP now, he is both a Physician and has a degree in Psychology and he came recommended from a friend.
I didn't want a pill mill doctor, I wanted someone who understands what the fuck is (maybe) happening in my brain lol

Would you mind elaborating into what L-tyrosine will do and what the function of Monoamine is?
I know about magnesium already so I will reincorporate that into my supplements.

Ok I feel stupid now, Monoamine is basically a class of Neurotransmitters, right? lol

Ok I feel stupid now, Monoamine is basically a class of Neurotransmitters, right? lol
Yes, dopamine to be specific, if we're talking about Wellbutrin (an SDRI).

Be careful though, as I had a bit of an emotional "episode" many years ago when taking prescribed Wellbutrin + un-prescribed meth together. Very scary.

Yes, dopamine to be specific, if we're talking about Wellbutrin (an SDRI).

Be careful though, as I had a bit of an emotional "episode" many years ago when taking prescribed Wellbutrin + un-prescribed meth together. Very scary.
I can imagine.

I honestly don't see myself using Meth again any time soon.

Sure, swallowing amphetamine in pill form is boring compared to railing a nice line of Meth but my pill is legally prescribed and I can also be quite certain it is what it says it is.

I've been on it 2 days and I feel like it's giving me all the feeling I enjoyed about Meth, without the long ass duration and urge to redose.

That being said, I am curious how snorting Adderall would feel... Just for nostalgic purposes...

They used to call that reasoning mindset "stinkin' thinkin'", or "old behavior", in AA/NA.
You already know what's down that ol' dusty trail.
You're absolutely right!

I'm just going to be happy with being focused on my studies, no reason to poke the bear.

My advice would be to take as many days off as you can when you don't really need to be super focused. That will help with the tolerance quite a bit. 2-3 days off per week would be ideal.

I've been playing around with doses the last week.

I've only been taking 2.5mg at 6 AM and 2.5mg at noon. The effects aren't as strong, barely noticeable but the crash is also barely noticeable.

When I took 10mg twice a day, the crash anxiety was through the roof because I was no longer feeling effects but I couldn't sleep.
Had to take Xanax 3 days in a row to sleep and then I tried 5mg twice a day and although the crash was less I still couldn't sleep.

Then I tried 2.5mg twice a day and I crash right into bed around 10/11 pm. I guess my tolerance isn't as high as I thought!
I'll talk to my doc at my followup and tell him all of this and see what he says.

I've also noticed that hydration is incredibly important, and a beer or two eases the crash.

Also stopped taking the Wellbutrin so maybe that's playing into the heavy crashes too.

Starting to feel like a mad scientist but i'm also starting to feel how this drug might help me function better on a daily basis if I can find the sweet spot for doses.

That's awesome and it bodes well for you that you're both able to take less than prescribed, and that you are getting a better result from less than you're prescribed. :) Keep up the good work!