• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Quit H for 4 days, endured the acute WDs, relapsed....will WDs be 100% back to day 1?

achiral_spiral

Greenlighter
Last Tuesday and Wednesday I binged and did 1g in 20 hours (my usual daily dose is 0.1-0.3g) and almost OD'd, almost burned my apartment down nodding out smoking a cigarette, and might have taken one or more of my legitimately prescribed (and not abused) Klonopin with the high doses of H. Wednesday, after I came out of the fog, I decided I needed to detox myself. I used my Klonopin to manage the withdrawal symptoms by taking twice my normal dosage, three times a day instead of two times a day. I went through the acute WDs and made it to today, Sunday, and unfortunately relapsed and dosed with two points today. I am hoping that I will not go back to square one and experience the exact same intensity of WDs as if I had never taken 4 whole days off, but this time I do not have my Klonopins to aid with the WDs to allow me to still go to work and get some sleep...My questions for you guys are:

1) Do you think my WDs will be less intense after quitting for 4 days, relapsing, and not using again after the one day of relapse which involved two doses?

2) If so, should I go back to using again until I can get my Klonopin refilled in 11 days and then quit and manage WDs with the Klonopins? They worked AMAZING for my WDs last week. I slept 7 hours, only waking twice, no cold sweats, minimal nausea, not much vomiting except the 2nd day, and of course imodium for the diarrhea

Thanks for any input you guys might have. I intend to contribute as much as possible to this site given my education level, interest in drugs and pharmacology, and personal experience with the hellish nightmare that is addiction. Thanks for allowing me to participate here, I hope to assimilate well into the bluelight community!

Yes, the sickness will be back to day one. I once quite H for two weeks, scored six 80mg OxyContins and was back to square one when I ran out.

I agree with the above poster. Went cold turkey off hydromorphone for about two weeks more than once. Used for even just a single day, and bam... back to square one.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that you'll inevitably be back at the same doses. At first, your tolerance is lower but it shoots back up almost immediately. And because you're using it for a purpose, you'll inevitably want to take enough to break through that tolerance.

I wish I knew how long it would realistically take to get back to the point where chipping is even a possibility, but I don't know.

You weren't off it long enough. 4 days is nothing, it peaks on day 3. So, to your body, using again so soon was basically the same as if you'd never stopped.

Don't be discouraged though. It happens to all of us. You gatta' just get back to it and try again.

Stay strong.

So you did it again just as soon as you got over the WDs?

Some people... just how?

I suppose it's not my place to say anything, but using again after that timespan is akin to torturing yourself. Remember that every time you use it doesn't help the withdrawals, it makes them worse. Each time you use is like trying to run even farther when you're already too far from home. I hope you make it home, friend. Good luck.

All responses were true...was back to square one. I was still able to actually go to work and function though, by taking 3mg Xanax 3x a day (I have a tolerance to benzos, but never mixed them with opiates, for obvious harm reduction reasons). So far it's been 4 days and I'm getting by with 1mg xanax twice a day, some Benadryl at night, and the 10-20 minutes of jogging I can endure.

you need to give it more time. it is possible to have your tolerance basically be reset if your habit was small and short enough and you abstain for long enough time. for reference: i went astray on a six month dope binge last summer. took a month to detox with a sub taper. quit the subs, had about two weeks of acute sub withdrawal (minor, i was functional every day, just a bit apathetic and sore at times, and those damn sweaty palms... last thing to go) two weeks of maybe what you'd call PAWS, two more weeks of being clean off opiates and feeling good, then after about six or seven weeks total from the day i stopped the sub, i was able to go back to chipping once every week or two, my tolerance felt basically back to square one. i sniffed just a little bit of a tenth maybe seven weeks out and got so rocked, i vomited! of course, after three or four months of productive chipping, down the rabbit hole again i went, and back i am again, now, on the tail end of a sub taper, lol. dosing so soon after getting thru WDs will drop you right back unless you are very new at the game... seems like it's easier to do the rapid cycling when you first start doing H but those WDs get worse every binge.

Be careful with what you use to manage your withdrawals. You don't want to end up with multiple addictions. Life can become unbearable. I have a family member who used valium to help with H withdrawals, but then got addicted to valium and H and then used xanax to help with the withdrawals. Now my family member is addicted to multiple things and the withdrawals can be fatal, especially from valium and xanax.
Yes your WD will go back to day 1 and be hell again. When you go through WD and then feed the WD, it resets it and you'll be back to square 1. Please be careful. Don't mean to lecture but I've seen it all too much and one minute you're on one thing, and then the next thing you know in a blink of an eye you're on a lot of things to kill the WD and/or to chase the high.
I think the best thing to do is NOT to use H whilst waiting for your next script. A couple of reasons why:

1: The higher the doses of H gets, the worse the WD.
2: Go through the WD (even though it's hell) because once the WD are over, it'll be a good way to try and stay off it as the memory of WD may help turn you off H. Use it as a personal growth and self discipline.
3: You don't want to become a slave to the drug because life will never be the same.

Once an addict, always an addict. But strength can be found in many other ways and things to help you not go back to H.
It's a hard road but we all have our strengths, weaknesses, and winding roads that tell a story.

But if you do decide to have H whilst waiting for the doctor that is completely up to you. It is your body, your freedom of choice. But please be safe. You don't want to nod off again and hurt yourself or anyone else.

Sending much love and good vibes your way.

Keep us updated with how you go

Xxxxxx

Take care

WDs don't even begin to really do jack shit until day three. From day three to day ten, on the other hand, look out. So, yeah, three days from now you'll be pretty sore. Detoxing from H, unlike alcohol, can't kill you (by itself - other factors can) but they're rather uncomfortable. The first three days of not using are just mentally wanting the drug (in my experience) and they're not too bad. Day three is when they physical aspects start kicking in. You'll have fevers, cold flashes, hot flashes, diarrhea, vomiting sometimes, headaches, and - oddly, I sneeze, a lot. Also I fart a lot. The last two I'm not sure if they're universal or not.

Anyhow, they'll last up to another seven days though usually not quite that long so you're looking at a total of ten days for the WDs to go away. Usually after day five or seven it isn't too bad. If you don't go through most/all of that, if your WDs hit sooner than 3 days, then it's not a physical addiction probably and that's a GOOD thing. If you can get away from it without a physical addiction you're in luck and should consider working even harder to maintain because it truly only gets worse.

Me? I'm still IVing like a champ and plan on keeping on keeping on but this thread isn't about me. I mention it just because I want you to know that there are people who certainly don't choose your path but we respect it and we root for your sobriety. I'm old. I've seen a lot of friends come and go. I've seen them die. I've seen them just disappear. But, then, I've seen them recover and stay recovered and those guys really do look different, act different, and (most importantly) they're genuinely happy. I'm new here but I understand the forum's goal is harm reduction so keep that, what I said, in mind. They really do look happy. They look healthy, they have families and friends, they have social lives, they smile, they are clean, and they are doing well at living their lives the way they want to. If you can do that then, by all means, go for it and know that many (most perhaps?) wish you lots of luck.

This is closest thread I have found that is what is closest to what I am going thru.
I needed to post this just in case it can help maybe just one person. I am on day 9 of my opiate/herion withdrawal. This is the last time I will ever do this.

Please forgive me if I do not answer everything in full but I am still a little hazy from the last 9 days.

I am 32 years old , Female. Married ...that whole nine yards.

I started drinking and smoking weed at 15 , troubled childhood all that great adversity. Let me be clear about a couple things. This may not be true for everyone and I know that there are a lot of "professionals" that disagree with me. Weed and Alcohol will always be a part of my life. My drug use for the DOC I have came from my environment and the challenges I have been thru. When I was 17 I tried crystal meth for the first time..due to a boyfriend I had. Now I made the choice...instantly hooked. This went on till 2007. Back then the THOUGHT of a pain pill would make me sick to my stomach. Or at least if I ate one 5mg Hydro I would be out on my ass. I did take them to pass out on runners but I will tell you it would be a couple a month tops.

Well life happened , I got married straighten up my life got Sober off the Meth. I have not touched it since 2007... but this is not why I am here. I am here to talk about where the dark road of opiates took me and my husband. In January 2009 , I went to my doctor because I was having problems with no depression and still not Bi-Polar , I am one of those lucky few that is stuck in between a fine line of these two conditions. I have take Lamictal to basically not have a nice temper tantrum about once every two weeks at people that are close to me. I complained about my nerve in my hip and BAM! 60 10mg Hyrdos a month , mind you my hubby loved opiates for YEARS , but when we married that was not an issue.

Flash forward it's 2013. I have detoxed about 6 times in the past five years. Granted I am broke as a joke I still am married to my best friend , I have a house and a life but just barely , plus I have a will and means to survive. During a lot of my withdrawals I came to these boards for support , it has helped and I wanted to give back. Even thou everyone is different , I am detoxing off Heroin now and I only did it for 2 months but it was enough for me to look at myself and not know who I was in the mirror. NEVER AGAIN WILL I TOUCH AN OPIATE. I dont care if I break my leg. I will survive. This shit is not worth any of the High it gives...PERIOD. Mind you I have been on every opiate possible, right down to suboxone.

I want to tell a little bit about the truth about Withdrawal. You know when you read that it takes some people 30 + days to REALLY feel better. This is not a joke. There are some things that make it easier thou. But not enough. Doctors are full of it. Put anyone of those doctors thru opiate withdrawal and see how fast they come up with something other then putting you to sleep for 2 days pumping you full of naloxone and then sending you on your way. Or putting you on suboxone or methadone. I get that some people this works for , but it just prolongs the suffering. Acute withdrawals from Suboxone are not as intense if you taper but they LAST longer. Took me 2 months to feel right.

It is going to take you 10-14 days to start to feel right! So here are some things to help you. First off be honest to yourself. Accept the shitty things you have been thru , cherish the good and get on your way to a better you. Doing drugs that are harmful just makes you feel so shitty as a member of society and that feeling is enough to drive some people nuts. Weed is GOOD Folks. For withdrawals the only thing that saves me is 5 Ambien and 10 Xanax. This is it. All the other crap doesn't work. Kratom, Immodium, Tea, whatever. You need TIME!

Day 1- Your going to start to freaking out a bit this day cause your out. Within 4-12 hours depending on your level of use you will start to feel sweaty and uncomfortable. I normally always sleep this night.

Day 2- Wake up feeling like I was hit by a truck , no energy and normally on this day my RLS starts and I my heart beats out of my chest. No relief what so ever. Sleep nope not for at least 4 days.

Day 3, 4 ,5 are the WORST. Same feeling as day two only you have not slept for 4 days and everything sucks cause it's more intense. TRY during this time to take a lot of hot baths:Showers.

Day 6 - Got 8 hours broken sleep with Ambien. I did not take it till now because I know I would not sleep anyways but after your have put your body thru hell you have to sleep at this point. I have heard some people don't sleep for weeks. It will take a month till your sleep comes back.

Day 7,8 feeling better but still NO energy. But I have a life so I have to get up and do things.

Now I am on day 9 still feel not so hot but I am starting to get better. I know in another week or so I will feel much better. I have been thru this so many times before and have months clean so I know it can be done. You have to keep yourself positive during withdrawal. It's the only way you will make it. Put on some music that makes you feel good. Look yourself in the mirror , wipe the dust off and carry on. Hell you made it thru an addiction and have not died yet , but if you stay on you will die. Good Luck

I know this an old thread and first I wanna say everybody's different when it comes to withdrawals,but I've kicked IV h withdrawals 4 times once tapering down to about .2g a day and others just straight turkey from a gram a day and experienced no real difference in length or severity.As for how long is long enough for me a final small dose at day 3 or 4 has brought me out of the haze and ended everything smoothly it's stopping at the one time is the problem.was going out in I