• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Quetiapine & Tardive Dyskinesia

Quickfixgrrl

Bluelighter
I am so concerned with this side effect occurring that I'm contemplating coming off of Quetiapine/Seroquel, even though this medicine has completely turned my life around for the better.
I feel like I'm being a total hypochondriac but I can't stop googling this, reading medical reports and instances of it happening to people. The fear is so real that I'm willing to risk just living with anxiety and depression again if I quit taking it.
Has anyone heard of this happening? The worst thing is that it's usually irreversible. I think I'd off myself if I had it.. and that's NOT how I want to be thinking.
Any reassurance would be awesome.

I don’t think you have anything to be worried about hun.
My family are all NUTSO, generations of psychiatric medications for everything from bipolar to depression. My mums been on 120mg of citilopram for 28 years I reckon.
No strange blinking or otherwise involuntary movements.

Though I DO know one person who experiences the side effects mentioned.
He was epileptic, age 14 and trying to find a new medication to curb his seizures as his old ones no longer helped. I can’t remember the name of the drug but he wasnt on it long and was on a reasonably high dose. To the point he would vague out mid convo and forget what he was saying and stuff, strong stuff.
The involuntary movements stopped as soon as he was taken off it.

I think as long as you take it as prescribed and just keep an eye out for side effects you’ll be fine

@Meth novice 79 ❤ Sounds like my family. My dad has Bipolar 1 and at one point my doctor thought I could have bipolar 2. I don't think I experience the deluded highs so I disagree.
Hugs to you 🤗 Thanks for your reply.

@Meth novice 79 ❤ Sounds like my family. My dad has Bipolar 1 and at one point my doctor thought I could have bipolar 2. I don't think I experience the deluded highs so I disagree.
Hugs to you 🤗 Thanks for your reply.

Haha!
When I went to my doctor with an IV injury he looked at me like I was completely insane, sent me for full STI Screening (he was convinced I was selling my body for crack 😂 didn’t have the heart to tell him I give that shit away) and diagnosed me as bipolar 😂😂😂

Apparently only manics can have a good time, who knew?

Any of my meds could kill me. But without them id kill myself way before they even could.

Idk if that help.

Risks of TD are lower with quetiapine than many APs like haldol. Most are with much higher doses (600mg+) over longer time, and may resolve off the drug. (It is sometimes used at lower doses in some cases of TD as helpful.)

Totally understand the hypochondria. I've read too much and seen too many weird things, but mainly I know it is just my anxiety and that the majority of people are ok, not experiencing some of those effects. My sister actually had weird movements from a short time on buspar, oddly. Thankfully resolved. I had random fears of SJS and such from lamotrigine due to past skin issues (and hypochondria, haha), but did fine, even after unexpected bad effects from another medicine.

It really sounds like the seroquel is helping you! That is great. Keeping in contact with your providers, working with yourself, and staying steady with the medication sounds like a good way forward. Keep it up!

My arms completely spaz out if I take quetiapine to the point that I've just given up eating whatever I was trying to and went to bed because I ended up wearing more of the food than eating it.

When I used to take Quetiapine, 200mg only at night. I never experienced TD neither with Haldol but ive seen wayyy too many people in rehab fking crying cuz of how much The Haldol made their muscles contract. nasty Med. The only AP that i didnt let me sleep and gave me. arritmia was Risperidone. Thats another shitty med, nvm All APs are crap just some of them are worse than others.