• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Questions re. sniffing buprenorphine

GoldenGate

Greenlighter
Hi there,

So I know a few people are gonna ask why I don't just take bupe sublingually but lets just say I have my own reasons and I might just switch to sublingual soon anway.
I the meantime I'm curious. I was 1st put on bupe in 2013 for a 256mg per day codeine addiction. I cheated my supervised pharmacist every day and sniffed it instead. My starting dose was only 2mg which makes sense considering the relatively weak effects of codeine.
When I was on 2mg sniffed, I got high as a falcon every day. My energy levels were through the roof and I spent the next 2 years on it learning Russian fluently, exercising 2 hours per day (like a fiend), running 3 half marathons and practicing piano 4 hrs per day. I also had the confidence on it to get a full time supervisor job.
In 2015 I finally came off and then found 2 8mg pills off the streets. I took 4mg straight away (insufflated) and it was one of the most euphoric opiate experiences I've had b4 or since.
About 6 months ago I stated taking Oxycodone, at first about 60mg per day but it very quickly increased to over 200mg per day. I went back to the clinic last month to get put back on bupe and my doc ended up putting me on 12mg - far more than I have ever taken in a day.
And...although I know that the purpose of bupe treatment is not to get high, I am suprised and a bit confused that no matter what I do I can't seem to get any high or much increased energy, even though i'm on a much much higher dose than the 2mg i was on b4.

Now I know a few speculations which could be the answer to this but I'm wondering if any of you experts could help me out and let me know if i'm correct in my assumptions:

1. I hear that less is more with bupe which would explain why 2mg was euphoric and 12mg seems to do nothing
2. Maybe cos I'm putting so much up my nose it's not all getting dissolved properly or something - I have tried taking 8mg sublingual and 4mg sniffed and 6mg sniffed and 6mg sub but pretty much same result. I've also taken the whole 12mg sublingual which was ok but still weaker than the full dose sniffed.
3. Due to the very high amounts of Oxy I was sniffing per day 12mg might not be enough to create those particular effects (pretty sure this is not the case)

Im not gonna lie - I am dissapointed. As I've said I am aware that the purpose is not to get high, but I would like that energy back so I can get right back into my activies (I was super fit when on 2mg and now I can't even run 2 miles even when on 12mg.) Also due to the lack of high I find myself craving everything else all day and am taking more benzos, pregabs, coke, mcat and in particular alcohol just for the boredom wheras on 2mg I didn't take anything else for 2 years even when on 0.4mg at the end.

So this is mostly a curiosity question I think. Would it help if I racked up much smaller lines and sniffed a small line up each nostril every 20 - 30 mins? As I said I'm thinking of just switching to sublingual, although I am mildly afraid that I might go into w/ds cos I have been sniffing it for 2 weeks.

Any help and just interesting information (cos drugs do fascinate me) would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

GG

I see nothing wrong with snorting bupe, just because a doctor says sublingual is the only acceptable way doesn't mean that's true. Bupe is just a safer alternative to opiates, but the bottom line is, bupe is an opiate just like the rest, so in all truthfulness , isn't giving an addict bupe technically wrong too? Either way the addict is substituting. I'm a former heroin addict, and I snort bupe, and at low doses to get the full agonist effect..
Do what feels right to you, and thank yourself for not picking up your drug of choice

Hi and welcome to bluelight. IME intranasal bupe is about 2x as strong as sublingual. It's the only way I've ever gotten any recreational effects out of 'em. And every time taking a break from oxy, it would take like 4-5 days before I could get any pleasant effect from sub whatsoever, I always sniff 2mg tops, the few times that I took more, it was less enjoyable. 2mg is about the most you can take, and still have it act as a full agonist, too much and the active metabolite (norbuprenorfine) will occupy all the receptors, and this is the 'dreaded' partial agonist that causes precipitated withdrawal if it becomes active in the brain while still using a full agonist.

PS: I actually believe that I looked it up sometime long ago and the numbers about the biavailability of snorted vs. sublingual confirmed it, but I'm not sure where I read it anymore, so I can't say with 100% certainty that it's the case but it definitely feels that way to me in any case.

Anyway, again, welcome to bluelight! I'm gonna move this over to BDD though, I think it's more suited for that forum. Hope you don't mind. You can always PM me if you have a question about this, and I'll leave a redirect in DC for a few days so you can see that it has been moved.

Intranasal to me, in my personal opinion is one of my favorite ROAs to use bupe, but only 1-2mg pieces at a time.. chopped into very fine powder, divided into very small lines... because sniffing and SNORTING are two totally different things IME. Lightly sniffing it through some kind of small thin straw, and keeping it in your nostrils is always the goal, as if you sniff too hard, you may end up swallowing most of the bupe, then rendering it useless(pretty much), but when it dissolves and absorbs into your nasal capillaries/mucous membranes, it is much more effective, then if you just sniff it, get a drip, and swallow it.. That is a common misconception about sniffing.. it is always portrayed as someone snorting, very hard up their nose, any kind of powder drug or pill crushed and people think, that's the goal to get a drip.. now it works with some drugs, like oxy for instance, since both sniffing and swallowing it orally work very good, so it doesn't matter as much.. bupe is like a 54% BA on average less or more, when sniffed.. which is much better than the ~32% on average, BA from sublingual, and orally swallowing bupe has less than 10%.. anyways, yes, sniffing bupe is great, but must be done in a clean, smart, safe manner(well as safe as possible, never is it "safe" or "smart" to crush a pill and sniff it! but be as much so as possible!). Not condoning it, just stating my experience. Its by far the easiest and quickest way to get more from your bupe with less! Plugging is the best all-around ROA, not when it comes to saving time though like sniffing can do for you, rather than letting it sit under your tongue forever, I used to wait at least 30 mins.. that's just me though.

Thanks for your reply! :) I do sniff lightly & then wait for the bupe to dissolve in my membranes. However, I then wait about half hour b4 sniffing another 2mg and repeat until all 12mg is gone. Do you know if the effects of taking bupe an hour or so after the 1st dose are lessened (as with say codeine which develops an instant tolerance to itself), or do you know if its possible to get the same effects after waiting an hour or even 2 or more?? Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply; I used to be on 2mg and every day I felt great & totally motivated! However, the highest i have ever got from it by far is 4mg which rendered me high as a kite for over 24 hrs :)
Now Im prescribed 12mg (cos of the huge amounts of oxy I was sniffing) and get not much at all. It's the physical & psychological motivation I want most. When on 2mg I started exercising for 2 hours per day, got a full time job, ran to work 6 miles a day, ran three half marathons in 8 months, learnt Russian language from scratch & got back into concert piano for over 2 hrs per day. It was amazing. I got so much done and i miss it. Ah well!!