• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Questions on CBD isomerisation to other cannabinoids

A9254DF

Bluelighter
Hey guys,

I thought there was a specific chemistry board on here but I guess not.

I’m hypothetically thinking (at the moment) and trying to isomerise CBD to other more active cannabinoids.
I know I will need reflux apparatus but do I need a heating mantle or would a hot plate work?
What would you suggest as the easiest route? I was checking out a video where they used some industrial catalyst amberlyst-15 which looked really cool and cheap but am unsure if it’s availability for the everyday man.

I also obviously would be using a extraction hood and all correct safety equipment.

Can anyone lend a little helping hand on specific equipment I'm going to need?

Thank you

Isomerization can occur with simple mineral acids in an alcohol, refluxed a few hours. No need for specialized equipment. Once complete, you can evaporate the alcohol and water wash the leftovers to rid of the acids. Voila, THC with unknown amounts of delta 8 and some residual CBD. In the case of CBDV, THCV.

-GC

Ok and when you say simple mineral acids, can you get these online? I’m not in a registered lab or anything…

I have seen people use sulphuric acid but doesn’t it have to be pure? I’m not sure how hard these are to obtain…

Would you give a few examples? Also how much heat is needed to reflux? Would a flat bottom and a hot plate work? That way there is the benefit of the stir bar…

Edit: sorry when I say examples I mean examples of mineral acids that can be used…
Thanks

We can’t really help with that here. Synthesis discussion is against the rules hence my vague response. Sulfuric acid is the most commonly used, and doesn’t have to be pure so long as there’s no additives.

I suggest searching around doing some research (unfortunately elsewhere) as these answers are all available. Might be some old easy to understand write ups on the Rhodium Archive.

-GC

Hey guys,

I thought there was a specific chemistry board on here but I guess not.

I’m hypothetically thinking (at the moment) and trying to isomerise CBD to other more active cannabinoids.
I know I will need reflux apparatus but do I need a heating mantle or would a hot plate work?
What would you suggest as the easiest route? I was checking out a video where they used some industrial catalyst amberlyst-15 which looked really cool and cheap but am unsure if it’s availability for the everyday man.

I also obviously would be using a extraction hood and all correct safety equipment.

Can anyone lend a little helping hand on specific equipment I'm going to need?

Thank you
photolytic conversion