• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Questions about the two most common methods of purifying heroin

RedHat

Bluelighter
Out of curiosity, I was researching the different articles out there that cover how to purify heroin, all of which use some form of acid-base extraction, but with different chemicals.

• [Heroin Helper] Purifying Heroin - Covers using hydrochloric acid to break down a sample of heroin, and then ether to separate it from the particulate matter. Then removing the soluble impurities using ammonium hydroxide. Then neutralizes the acids using sodium bicarbonate. This process claims to yield heroin hydrochloride (heroin and salt).
    • This process seems to be a bit more common. I've found a number of articles covering how to purify heroin and the majority of them are basically the exact same thing as this process (maybe just worded differently)
  • [Heroin Helper] Purifying Heroin Again - This one is a little bit different, it starts off using a base (sodium hydroxide), then extracts the heroin using chloroform (instead of ether). And neutralizes the heroin base using hydrochloric acid. This article also yields heroin hydrochloride.
    • Seems to use chemicals that are a bit safer to handle (mainly by using chloroform instead of ether)
    • A bit more detailed on the instructions and precise on the measurements. Even covers monitoring the pH level as you progress through the steps (which the above article doesn't even mention once).

So I had two questions for anyone who's experimented with these procedures:
  1. Which would you suggest (and why)
  2. For the 2nd article, which uses sodium hydroxide, does it matter what concentration of sodium hydroxide is used? If so, whats the best concentration? Or does it not really matter as long as you watch the pH level closely?

Thanks!

Purifying the morphine base, #3, or cut #4??

Morphine needs acetic anhydride,water,and sodium carbonate to get#3.

#3 needs diethyl ether and hydrochloric acid to become #4

Purifying the morphine base, #3, or cut #4??

Not sure that matters? I get the impression that both of the above acid-base extraction methods should suffice for heroin in pretty much any form of heroin (with the exception of black tar, which I'm still trying to find out a way to make that work :|)

Heroin #4 is the "purest" type (white powder/salt form), which is what both of the above acid-base extraction methods are supposed to yield. But I think the acid base extraction process would still work on #4, it would just isolate the diacetylmorphine from the original hydrochloride salt then yield some more hydrochloride salt (but maybe a higher purity if done correctly?) But I could definitely be wrong about that.

On a side note, does anyone know if theres a way to purify black tar with the acid-base reaction? I Googled the shit out of it and found a lot of threads (mostly on here or drugs-forum) where people ask how, but it either goes unanswered. I found one where someone said they got the acid-base reaction to work well with their black tar... But then the bastard never shared how >_< lol