• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

questions about pregabalin (lyrica)

narcomick

Bluelighter
So I have anxiety in addition to depersonalisation disorder, and as such I am prescribed various medications, namely clonazepam, zopiclone and duloxitine (an snri antidepressant) and have spoke with my doc about lyrica and may be getting some soon, it's relatively easy to come off of I hear so our plan was for me to possibly use it to taper off my other Meds over time. After researching lyrica have a few questions.
1) lyrica is seritonergic in the same way as MDMA only less so. Will I need to stop taking my antidepressant in order to avoid serotonin syndrome?
2) I hear lyrica can produce hallucinations/visuals. How common is this and of what sort are they? Is lyrica trippy/psychedelic at all?
3) does lyrica increase dopamine levels?
4) is lyrica cross tolerant with the benzodiazipines/z-drugs?

Any awnsers/advice would be much appreciated :)

1) Lyrica is not serotonergic. "Pregabalin is structurally related to the antiepileptic drug gabapentin and the site of action of both drugs is similar, the alpha2-delta (alpha2-delta) protein, an auxiliary subunit of voltage-gated calcium channels" - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17126531
Its action is more on the neurotransmitter GABA, which happens to affect a lot of other things, but it is not serotonergic.

2) Most "visuals" are closed eye visuals that are nothing in comparison to either LSD or psilocybin mushrooms. I do not find it trippy, but it does give a sort of high that i havent quite found the correct description for yet. But this high only occurs intensely the first few times you do it and then your tolerance goes way up. You will still get the anti-anxiety effects, but not the high.

3) Not that i know of, but there is not quite enough research on those specifics yet.

4) No it is not, but they will both potentiate each other, so watch yourself if you try to combine them. Some combinations will knock you on your ass depending on the dosages.

Any other questions you have, you may find the answers to in the Lyrica Megathread that was created a while ago, or you could just message me. I have a prescription for it and enjoy it thoroughly.

1) Lyrica is not serotonergic. "Pregabalin is structurally related to the antiepileptic drug gabapentin and the site of action of both drugs is similar, the alpha2-delta (alpha2-delta) protein, an auxiliary subunit of voltage-gated calcium channels" - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17126531
Its action is more on the neurotransmitter GABA, which happens to affect a lot of other things, but it is not serotonergic.

2) Most "visuals" are closed eye visuals that are nothing in comparison to either LSD or psilocybin mushrooms. I do not find it trippy, but it does give a sort of high that i havent quite found the correct description for yet. But this high only occurs intensely the first few times you do it and then your tolerance goes way up. You will still get the anti-anxiety effects, but not the high.

3) Not that i know of, but there is not quite enough research on those specifics yet.

4) No it is not, but they will both potentiate each other, so watch yourself if you try to combine them. Some combinations will knock you on your ass depending on the dosages.

Any other questions you have, you may find the answers to in the Lyrica Megathread that was created a while ago, or you could just message me. I have a prescription for it and enjoy it thoroughly.

Nice post man. You said everything I would've said!

OP, be aware that Pregabalin (Lyrica) can produce a withdrawal syndrome that is actually quite severe by most accounts. I'm not trying to scare you, because I think the Gabapentinoids are great and effective drugs for many purposes, I just want you to have all the facts. I would encourage you to check out the Pregabalin megathread. Also, have you ever been on Gabapentin (Neurontin)? They are very similar in their effects profiles.

Thanks Keif' Richards! and youre right, the withdrawals can be really bad, but tapering can be done with some ease.

I was under the impression that any withdrawal would be weak, less than benzo/strong opiod withdrawal and more like codeine withdrawal as in mild and tolerable (that's my experience anyway)

I was under the impression that any withdrawal would be weak, less than benzo/strong opiod withdrawal and more like codeine withdrawal as in mild and tolerable (that's my experience anyway)

Like other drugs, the severity of the syndrome seems to be dependent upon frequency of use and dosage. Again, I'm not trying to scare you, but I've had fellow BL'ers with experience in both Opioids and Benzodiazepines describe the withdrawal from chronic Gabapentinoids use as "crippling". Again, just giving you all of the facts. I've used these drugs for years and have, as far as I can tell, never experienced withdrawal, but I use them in an on/off pattern.