• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! Questions about Mushrooms & Depression (Longer Post)

iPerson

Greenlighter
So I’m sure this sorta thing has been posted about on here a million times, but here goes:
Long story short I’ve been depressed basically my entire life, for a variety of reasons. Without going into too much detail about my problems and/or state of mind, I’m sick of feeling like this.
Like many others, I’ve heard that Magic Mushrooms have a lot of potential in helping with Depression. I was planning on tripping sometime around the time my 90 day probationary period at work ends, and I’m able to get insurance and actually see a therapist. I’m not looking at a trip as some sort of “Miracle Cure”, just ultimately 1 of a few steps I’d need to take to help get my mind in the right place and build a better life for myself. I think it could serve as a nice sort of ‘reset’ for my brain, amongst other things. Either way, like I said I’m not expecting even a miracle trip to solve all my problems - I know I’ve got a long, arduous journey ahead of me (in terms of getting my life to where I want it to be).
Note that close to a decade ago I actually had a bad trip on shrooms (I don’t remember the dose) when I was left to trip alone by someone I thought was my friend (who waited ‘till the last second to tell me that he had to leave early because he had to work the next morning). I was heartbroken over a relationship that had ended earlier that year, had just dropped out of college (with no real career or life plans to speak of), and was feeling depressed and hopeless in general, so I wasn’t in a good state of mind before the trip even started. I don’t remember much about the trip itself, but I remember some heavy anxiety, the walls breathing, and my posters talking to me (it’s pretty demotivating having the frontman from 1 of your favorite bands tell you how much of a loser you are). Starting around the month after that bad trip I started having ‘flashbacks’ (that’s what I’m calling them, even though idk officially what they are): I’d have these around 10-30 intervals of bad anxiety and a bit of derealization, feeling like I was in a bad dream (definitely not enough to qualify as Psychosis (it’s happened over 100x while I was driving, and I was able to keep going with no problems), but enough to be unpleasant). It used to happen 4-6x a day (on days when it did happen), and would automatically fuck up my day. But now I’ve come to realize that it’s just 1 of many things that my brain does to fuck with me (for lack of a better term), and it doesn’t happen too much anymore, Hell I’ve even had plenty of days where it happened early in the day and I went on to have a good enough day.
Whatever it is, I just wanted to mention it before asking any questions, or having a further discussion. I’m not too worried about the effects getting worse, or it turning into Psychosis or anything like that: It started to get noticeably better around late 2017, and kept on getting better in 2020 - a year filled with anxiety, stress, depression, irregular sleep patterns, all that fun stuff. I think that realization that your brain isn’t always your friend, and will do things to hurt you, was a big turning point for me…...
So, with all that in mind, I have a few questions:
  1. What dosage should I take? Micro Dose? Regular Dose? Heroic Dose?
    I’ve heard conflicting reports on recommended doses for ‘psychedelic therapy’. I was thinking of just taking a regular dose, and if it goes well I’d probably take a regular or micro-dose 3-4x a year. Note that while my tolerance isn’t too high, I’m gonna prepare for anything. I’ll be ready for any dose, any sort of effects. I’m not gonna let that bad trip happen again. And I’m gonna have a trip sitter around (obviously).
2.) How does the trip, and trip after effects, last for each dosage I just mentioned (Micro, Regular, Heavy, Heroic Dosage)?
I’ve heard that no matter what dose, most mushroom trips last around 6-8 hours total - is that true?
3.) Is listening to music while tripping a good idea?
I have a playlist with around 2.5 hours of positive, motivational, a few spiritual and plenty of relaxing tunes that I was interested in playing during the ‘peak’ of the trip. I was hoping it would help ‘maximize’ the trip (for lack of a better term).
4.) Anything I should know before I trip?
5.) Any tips and/or advice for me?

1. Start small, like 1 g (if you're not with a guide/therapist). For psychedelic therapy - at least 25-30 mg equivalent, usually meaning 3-5 g dried mushrooms, is used.
2. 4-7 h
3. Music is essential imo! The idea is NOT to get in a good mood - the idea is to go back and "re-process" painful things. You should go IN to pain and NOT run away from it! If you are too afraid to do that, high dose psychedelics probably isn't a good idea for you. This last point I can not stress enough.
Playlists from John Hopkins psilocybin for depression are available. Mendel Kaelen is a researcher on the topic and I've seen his playlists somewhere (spotify/soundcloud). You may like to check out music like Max Richter & Nils Frahm.
4. Read up more before embarking.
5. See 3 & 4.
Good luck!

My sister was on anti-depressants for 15 years, she had some heavy crashes during this time.

She recently tapered off her medication, and then started micro-dosing psilocybin. She found a dose level that worked for her, and its improved her quality of life. From her experience with microdosing, she then now feels like exploring further, working upwards with the mushroom, becoming familiar at different levels.

As her experience and my experience are different, its a very personal journey to explore, and harder whilst it remains difficult to obtain via conventional means.

I suggest reading as much as you can, and look to understand as much as you can, then consider and be honest with yourself about your mindset and intentions, the right path can find you.

You can also apply for studies with various universities that are researching these compounds, this maybe an avenue to explore also.

Here are some peer reviewed papers [compressed rar] on the subject that may help your research:

the idea is to go back and "re-process" painful things. You should go IN to pain and NOT run away from it! If you are too afraid to do that, high dose psychedelics probably isn't a good idea for you. This last point I can not stress enough.
This ^

Part of the value is to learn to accept those areas that you have ignored or pushed down, accepting the dark with the light. If you try to control or fight, the compound will try harder to get you to accept, and this is what becomes the challenging trip.

You can work towards this or you can jump right in, but be honest with yourself about which is the right way.

Last edited:
Unless you're microdosing I think a psychotherapist would be advised to use them for treating clinical depression at least