• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Questions about Cannabis Potentiation Methods

problematic13

Greenlighter
Hello! I am currently prescribed 50mg of sertraline (Zoloft) and 200mg lamotrigine (Lamictal). I also take an omega-3 in the morning and smoke cannabis a couple times a day. I have a damn high tolerance and I do take T-breaks, however I'm very interested in cannabis potentiation. I did a search on a couple forums and found omega-3, 5-HTP, cimetidine (Tagamet), and mycerene to be the most promising. I do however have a couple questions I couldn't find the answers to.

1. Will my morning regimen of omega-3 have any effect on using a high dose in the evening before I toke?
2. Is cimetidine a good CYP inhibitor to use? I've heard from friends that grapefruit juice works but I couldn't find anything on it.
3. I took a 5-HTP + St. Johns wort (only 5-HTP i had) an hour before toking and ended up getting very nauseous and throwing up. Was this a problem with the St. Johns wort or is it a bad idea to take 5-HTP with my medications?
4. I read that mycerene/other terpenes work better with mids or shite weed than with chronic or medical because the low terpene content, but does anyone know the effectiveness of mycerene on hash smokers?
5. This is something I've received very mixed opinions on: Does switching from smoking to vaping, changing strains, and/or moving from hash to bud alone effect tolerance or the ability to get high?

Omega 3 is a very healthy thing in general, but I don't believe taking it in the morning will help tolerance in the evening that much. Also, it's a blood thinner in high doses, and cannabinoids can fuck with blood pressure.

CYP inhibitors are really only useful when taking substances (like marijuana, in this case) orally.

5-HTP and St Johns Wort are both NOT allowed during SSRI therapy (zoloft). That's asking for trouble, don't do it again.

I've never heard of mycerene, so no comment.

Strain rotation works well. It's good to go from indicas > sativas and vice versa.

The best way to potentiate weed, without using tolerance breaks or synthetic cannabinoids, is to eat a bunch of REALLY dark chocolate before you smoke. It's nothing big, but it's noticeable; cocoa contains cannabinoids and neurotransmitter precursors, as well as other healthy things.

Got a little bit of information here:

http://pennstatehershey.adam.com/content.aspx?productId=107&pid=33&gid=000283#Possible Interactions

These medications could combine with 5-HTP to cause serotonin syndrome, a dangerous condition involving mental changes, hot flashes, rapidly fluctuating blood pressure and heart rate, and possibly coma. Some antidepressant medications that can interact with 5-HTP include:

SSRIs: Citalopram (Celexa), escitalopram (Lexapro), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft)
Tricyclics: Amitriptyline (Elavil), nortryptyline (Pamelor), imipramine (Tofranil)
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs): Phenelzine, (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate)
Nefazodone (Serzone)

It would be a good idea not to combine your medication with 5-HTP again.

As others have said taking 5-htp or st johns wort while on an SSRI is not good. Really anything that boosts serotonin added to anti-depressants is generally a bad idea as it can cause serotonin syndrome, which is dangerous and in extremes life threatening.

Cimetidine may or may not work but I wouldn't try it anyway as it also inhibits the breakdown of the zoloft you take.

I'm not very familiar with the omega-3 theory but from what I gathered it only works if you are deficient in omega-3's to start and since you've been taking it regularly I doubt changing/upping your dose will have any effect.

The only one you listed that I have tried is mycerene and it seemed to work, though nothing drastic. The theory behind it is that mycerene and other terpenes aid THC in crossing the blood brain barrier, making the high come on faster and allowing more THC to get to your brain. The best source of mycerene is mango's, try eating one about an hour before you smoke. Some people say it doesn't do anything but for me it seemed to make my high peak faster and slowed the come down but everyone is different so you'll have to try it for yourself. An actual mango works best but I've found the "Naked" brand fruit smoothie drinks work just about as well(the mango version obviously).

Changing strains or ingestion methods can help with keeping your tolerance down, though it's not significant IME. The best way is to just take longer breaks and smoke less often IME.

As I've mentioned before, the older I've gotten, the less weed I need for maximum altitude. I can toke 3 bonghits & be blasted for the entire evening nowadays. Not sure if it's because of my age...or that my cerebellum be saturated with sinsemilla.
I love the fact that I can get by on a LOT less than when I was in my teens/20s/30s. Back then, I'd Wake & Bake daily, fire 1 up after lunch, another 1 in the late afternoon, 1 more after dinner, then countless in the evenings.
No way in hell could I keep up that pace nowadays. I'd be comatose by 2:00 p.m. I guess getting old has its benefits. 1 of which is extremely important to me. Here's a pic of my latest MRI on my noggin...
53647.original.gif

In my experience, morning/day exercise is the easiest way to potentiate weed smoked in the evening/night if you smoke daily. Always try to wait something like ~20 hours after your last toke before you toke again and keep your tolerance at bay. MXE + cannabis have such a crazy synergy together that for me, even if I've taken such a small amount of MXE that I don't really feel anything, it would potentiate my cannabis highs by quite a lot, sometimes even catching me off guard.

I find SSRI in general, especially escitalopram, diminish cannabish highs. Atleast the cerebral part to it.

Don't combine cimetidine with your current prescriptions, there are several interactions. It does however inhibit the breakdown of THC, don't think of it as "higher" think of it as "longer".

Btw, is the lamotragine for bipolar or seizures?

Myrcene was the only thing that really worked for me. I believe that oranges also contain a decent amount of it. Really, eating any kind of fruit before toking is going to affect your high for the better. Bananas will will give you that mellow relaxation after the initial sugar rush. I wouldn't really depend on those kind of supplements to get a stronger high. The trick is to be able to wait long enough to get the existing THC out of your body, exercise will catalyze this process and works wonders for tolerance.

I tried out the mycerene trick for the first time around two weeks ago. I can't believe I'd never heard about it, as someone who spends hours killing time, lurking on this kind of forum.

My smoking buddy and I enjoyed a mango each about ten to three, rolled up a couple of cones and then sparked up at four-twenty. First of all, who knew mangos were so delicious? Flavour and texture was unusual at first, but it's definitely something I'll be indulging in more often. Anyway, usually we finish a joint and go straight into the next one but found ourselves just enjoying the buzz for about an hour before we felt the need to light up again. We felt more mellow than monged too, just...nice. After a couple more joints we broke out our second mangos. Not only did the mangos seem to potentiate the high, but made the perfect munchies...or chewies, whatever. That texture, that taste...it's like cottonmouth never existed.

To summarize, one of the nicest sessions I've had in a while, whether placebo or the apparent effects of the mycerene on the blood-brain barrier for uptake, I definitely enjoyed myself. And even without the potentiation, definitely an enjoyable food for those mid-high munchies, I'd definitely recommend ;)

Another suggesion...I experiment with a lot of nootropics. I find the effects of the racetams, especially piracetam, definitely enhance my experience of marijuana. Not necessarily as a potentiator, but they certainly augment my own personal appreciation of the herb. If you haven't experimented with nootropics before, piracetam's definitely a cheap, subtle place to start, I find that smoking whilst taking piracetam opens your mind more, without meaning to sound like too much of a hippy. Sometimes it's as if I can feel the cogs of my mind ticking away...

i dont know if you can potentate it, however, it does potentate ever other drug. Sorta what WinterNips said too, weed potentiated piracetam for me, the piracetam got me to enjoy the high more. I dont think you can potentate THC but you can synergise it with other substances, nootropics, ect

I think the reason why people like Piracetam with weed is dopamine uptake so why not modafinil, L-dopa, Skullcap,phenibut,opiates..

I like to use serpyllum thyme as a myrcene source and vape it before my weed, sometimes mixed with it when the weed doesnt smell alot. (40% of leaves dried is myrcene)

i dont know if you can potentate it, however, it does potentate ever other drug. Sorta what WinterNips said too, weed potentiated piracetam for me, the piracetam got me to enjoy the high more. I dont think you can potentate THC but you can synergise it with other substances, nootropics, ect

What about L-dopa? its a dopamine precursor so its only leading to increased dopamine levels avable for the release THC can allow. I use 150mg before dabbing/vaping when i want to get higher.

It is actually a prodrug to dopamine itself usually formed in your brain from tyrosine an amino acid found in various food and your essensial source of Dopamine adrenaline and noradrenaline. I just cut the noradrenaline by taking L-dopa which is sold as diet supplement. No dope in there altho if you take some with dope (cocaine) CAUTION!

Dank weed can be put in the oven for a short time. Supposedly THCA that wasnt converted during the grow/dry/cure, could convert to THC in the oven.

30seconds at 100-150 Celsius.. you can smell when it happens.