• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

questions about alprazolam tapering and reducing symptoms

ObieWan

Bluelighter
I have been using alprazolam for years as a sleep aid, and I do enjoy how it feels. It helps me relax at night. I only once found myself mildly dependent on it and was able to taper off. I have lots of friends and family members who are prescribed it or I bought it online, so this was never a problem.

About six months ago I purchased more online. Turns out that although it was a benzo, it was not alprazolam (perhaps phenazepam or something). I found myself nodding at 3PM the following day at doses of 1-2 mg. This was some drug with a crazy long half life and if taken on consecutive days was probably accumulating. I tapered very slowly but even after being totally off it was lucky to get an hour of sleep a night, so I again began taking small doses of alprazolam at night, no more than .5mg. I've gotten as low as .1 mg or less q 24 hours, but feel like crap all the time at this dose. This drug truly screwed up my receptors and becoming non-dependent on alprazolam is difficult now. I'm taking a small enough amount where I'm not worried about dying of a seizure if I abrubtly stopped, but it's uncomfortable. I have heard there are drugs that can lessen these withdrawal symptoms like ibuprofen? I want to apply for work in my chosen career and can't have this drug in my system.

I've never heard of ibuprofen being used, however, gabapentin may be of help. Honestly, most people feel unusual for a while. Perhaps if sleep is the only really worry at this point you should consider seeking a dr to ask for some trazodone.

If you are physically dependant on a benzo and need to be completely off of it for work then you need to go to a doctor or ER, Phenobarbital can be prescribed to eliminate a withdrawal and withdrawal symptoms from any benzo

Gabopentin is a drug which relieves nerve pain. I understand that one of the side effects is moderately severe lethargy, as this was reported to me from a few people I know who took it, and they discontinued it. Phenobarbital is a barbituate which originally used for a sedative/sleeping aid is now chiefly used as an anti seizure drug. Trazadone is not a benign drug and is commonly used for depression/anxiety and can even help as a sleep aid as an added bonus. Trazadone and PB are not drugs I would want to substitute as a replacement for this. For now I think I will continue to taper my dosage. A couple beers at night helps me sleep and lessens the tachycardia/jump out of your skin feeling.

If you are physically dependant on a benzo and need to be completely off of it for work then you need to go to a doctor or ER, Phenobarbital can be prescribed to eliminate a withdrawal and withdrawal symptoms from any benzo

I recently heard my psychiatrist say the same thing in regards to rapidly detoxing off of benzos in 10 days with phenobarbital. Sounds like a hellish experience. To the OP, if you truly want/need to get off the Alprazolam, speak with a Dr. and get some Clonazepam to help taper...

I've managed to taper completely over many months. Unfortunately the mild withdrawals last for a very long time if you have been taking it for a very long time. I allow myself to take it once a week to get a good night's sleep and have been doing so for a month. Please, I hope other's learn for experiences like this. You begin by taking a substance occasionally when you need it (self medicating or prescribed) and eventually you take it every night just because. Don't allow yourself to fall into this habit.

Tapering with a longer acting drug is a double edged sword. It can help if you do so for a short time, like 15 or 20 days. If you allow yourself to become dependent on a longer acting drug withdrawal is exponentially harder.

Tapering from opiates with a drub like buprenorphine helps many. However if you stay on it, coming off is impossible. You can go from 16 mg. daily to 0.25 mg. daily and you will find even this last step hellish.

Never a good idea to buy online from overseas. They make by the hundreds of thousands with no regulations. So be careful. But yea just every 5 days to a week cut back a half, when your on your last half take it for the first 2 days, skip a day, then skip 2. Then you'll be damn near over it if u stick to it