• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Question regarding reactions to Opiods.

KMarie1025

Greenlighter
Hi All, I am new here so please bare with me if I happen to do something wrong. I was just prescribed Vicodin for pain and I have come to find I am allegic to it. Does anyone one know why I might be allergic to vicodin and not dilaudid? Also, I am getting no relief from taking 3 vicodin pills 5/325, why would this be?

Codeine formulations cause some people extreme histamine release while Morphine types don't, but for others it's the other way around. Benadryl might help, but it could be unrelated to histamine too. Just avoid using it, tell your Dr, and see what else can be used.

what kind of reaction are you having? if its nausea then you might just need some cyclizine, an anti-emetic or something but if its swelling and redness then yeah, perhaps stop taking them.

Yes I agree with keeping it would really help if you could describe the symptoms of your allergic reaction. If it's itchiness, that's normal - opioids cause a histamine reaction. This can be ameliorated by taking an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine or promethazine.

If you are experiencing swelling or hives or some other allergic reaction, discontinue right away and talk to your doctor.

Since it wasnt mentioned yet, acetaminophen allergy possibly....
Dilaudid is hydromorphone and vicodin is hydrocodone/acetaminophen.

As others asked, what are your symptoms?
Also, what was your dosage of dilaudid before switching?

Regardless, your doc should be able to take care of you quick and painlessly(no pun intended) because this is one, im sure, is a pretty common issue comparitively speaking....

Last edited: