• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

question regarding QWISO hash

tacodude

Bluelighter
So I'm about to make my second batch. My first came out more like hash oil that would become hard if frozen rather than something solid. I remember in the past it would come out as a yellow residue that scrapped up into solid black chunks when it came out right. My last batch was

My issues is that I end up with too much plant matter extracted with the goodies. Last time I used the shake that was sitting in the freezer without chopping it up. This time I chopped it up and am leaving it in the freezer. Now here's my question

How do I drain the alcohol faster with coffee filters? I don't want to use cheese cloth as I'll lose a lot of plant matter in between the two washes I do before a long soak. The issue is a lot of unwanted junk gets pulled in the time it takes to filter the alcohol from plant matter as it takes a long time to filter. I was thinking of poking holes in a filter with a syringe that will filter right at the jar then a second filter on a strainer without holes.

The other thing I am doing, which I don't know whether or not it will help us throwing the 99% ISO in the freezer so I do my rinse with cold iso. Will this help me extract a more pure product, pull less of the good stuff, and/or will it not affect it much.

Please simple answer thank you

Stainless steel sprouting lids work really well for fast draining. I have know idea how a coffee filter could compete.

Cold product is good for knocking crystals off but I never used cold ISO so I don't know about that.

I know temperature drops in solvents make it less soluble usually maybe to the point it is more selective or something. It's why cold ETOH is great for filtering out junk. My concern is that I know ISO isn't really good for that and I'm worried cold ISO will pull less good stuff. Maybe move to cause chemistry discussion and I'll get a f better answer there?

A sprouting lid won't break like a coffee filter. It's more physics than it is chemistry.

Yea.... It probably would've came out better with a better filter. I didn't use much and grinding it helped. The center came out right, but the waxs crept in most the way leaving a small circle of good dry yellow stuff rather than gooey black. It didn't seem to affect yield although the second wash I screwed up and got a lot of plant matter in and just left it. I'm assuming the cold temperature helped, but I can't say for sure.

heres how i do it:

*ideally, fresh frozen trim would be used, but any frozen material works.

i freeze EVERYTHING overnight. filters, cannabis, solvent... everything. i leave it in the freezer as i work, and do the qwiso (shake for 30 seconds) as much in the freezer as i can.

i IMMEDIATELY (time is of the essence) strain it with a wire strainer, and pour it into my already prepared coffee filter vessel.

i let it drain in the freezer.

this leaves me with pretty nice, golden-tan, softish jolly rancher consistency concentrate.

the longer you let the material sit unfiltered in the solvent, the more of a dark, syrupy mess (good for edibles) you come out with.

if cost is not an issue, you could look into winterizing with 189 proof everclear or similar, or even a qwet extraction, which i find superior to bho.