• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Question regarding Methadone and other opiates

Tod silvia

Greenlighter
I have been in a MMT (methadone treatment program) for three months now. I got into a horrible car accident yesterday (t-boned at 55 mph and my head went through the side window) and at the hospital I was given opiate pain killers intravenously and also sent home with a prescription for opiate pain killers. I am not currently at a methadone dose that is considered to be a "blocker" for other opiates (I'm at less than 80mg/day) but the medication that I was prescribed is not helping me at all so all I can assume is that the methadone is blocking the medication. My question is this; because I am currently taking methadone daily, is it pointless for me to take other opiate pain killers? Do I need to take them in higher doses to achieve the required effect? The doctors at the hospital are not educated about methadone so before I call them to go over options for pain management I wanted to reach out here and see if anyone had any insight on the matter. I have done some research but couldn't find any information for someone in my situation. I am not trying to get "high", I just want some pain relief. I have cuts/abrasions all over my face and body. It hurts to get out of bed and stand for more than 5 minutes at a time. Basically, this is just no way to live and the doctors said it could be up to two weeks before I begin feeling normal again.

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read my post & any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

The doctors at the hospital should most definitely be educated about methadone, so dont assume that unless you know it for a fact.
Also, the methadone should block most of your pain. If it is not handling your pain well enough, call your doctor and tell him whats happening and they will most likely put you on something that works.
Taking something such as hydrocodone or oxycodone while youre on methadone most likely will not help with pain because the opioid receptors are already being barraged by the methadone

What exactly did they prescribe at the hospital? That will help people answer your question. Also it's strange IMO the hospital prescribed pain meds on your MMT. Did they know that but of your history?

I am a new member and dont really know how thos works, but i have a question about suboxone. I have taken suboxone many times in the past and felt the effects and enjoy it very much. Now i have been prescribed it by a DR. and for some reason when I take it now I don't feel anythong at all and I take two 8mg strips in the morning as I was prescribed to do. I have been clean from opiates for about a month before I started the suboxone and i was taking oxycodone 30mg and morphine 60mg when I was using this last binge a manth ago witch wasn't even a steady habbit and my binge was only about two months long. Can anyone tell me why I can't feel the effects of the suboxone at all now like I used to? Not even the first strip did anything for me.

I think your best bet is to talk to the doctors at the hospital and your methadone doctor and just be super open. Personally I have never been on methadone treatment but I had assumed that being on methadone would keep you from feeling affects from other opiates, yet I don't have personal experience and haven't done recent research. This may not be the best idea but would increasing your methadone dosage help with the pain from the accident and stopping the other medication since it's insufficient? I have heard how hellish tapering off methadone is, so I hate to be the one bringing up increasing your daily intake but I would think since methadone is a type of opiate it could alleviate your pain. Maybe it would be better to increase the other dose or switch you to a stronger opiate short term until you really begin to heal. I think the best option is to be completely honest and talk to both of your doctors. I'd think if you'd just explain that even though you have had a negative history with opiates this isn't like that, and that your pain is pretty severe and that you need some kind of relief and that you just aren't getting it from either med at all they would try to work with you to find a solution. I mean ideally they would and I hope that's the case for you. For the doc not to have any knowledge of methadone treatment and the effects seems pretty ridiculous, if they aren't up to date at least generally with medicine and treatment can they even call themselves a doctor? Ugh. Definitely check back and let us know what you decide to do and how talking to your doctor's goes. I guess worst case scenario you could seek out a pain management doctor.

I was at 75mg and I couldn't feel an IV bag of heroin. I'm not sure if it was due to tolerance or its blocking action. There were people around at 100mg+ doing heroin and having a good time. So I'm guessing blocking action when it comes to me.

Down at 40-50mg, I can take an 50-80 mg of oxycodone on top of it and feel nice-nod but a regular script of 5-10mg oxycodone/apap as prescribed won't do anything. Obviously.