• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Question on Suboxone

GhostOfYou

Greenlighter
Ok, trusty Bluelight, I don't ask a lot of questions typically, but here's a quick one that I can't find an answer to.

So, like a dumb ass, I took some Suboxone this past weekend and now I'm worried about my health. And before anyone says anything like "Suboxone is garbage, do real drugs," well the reason I don't do better shit is because I'm trying to get clean, but I technically shouldn't be taking Suboxone either because I'm not prescribed.

So here's my scenario... Just this past Friday I got my hands on an 8mg strip. I split it with my girl and even gave her more, so I had roughly 3mg worth of Bupe. Then, the next day on Saturday (roughly 20 hours later) we got another Sub in pill form. This time I took even less, only did a quarter so that was 2mg.

This coming Wednesday (2 days from now) I have to check my health and I have no idea exactly what method they'll use to test me. It's a total guess. The only reason I even took the Bupe is because people had it in my head that it wouldn't interfere with anything important.

I know Bupe has a 36 hour half life, which is fucking retarded. I estimate it would be cut in half 2.5 times by the time I have to take the test because from Saturday I'll have ~90 hours of clean time. So let's just factor the 5mg all together. By today I should be down to ~2.5mg in my system, by late Tuesday I should be down to ~1.25mg, and then by the time I actually check my health on Wednesday I should be under 1mg left in my system, hopefully as low as possible.

So here's the inevitable question... is there a way to speed the process of getting Bupe out of your system? I read an article online a month or so ago that mentioned some supplement that kind of boosts metabolism I think, but for the life of me I can't find it again.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? Whether they be supplements or verifiable home remedies even? Thanks in advance for any serious replies.

Last edited:
Bupe's half-life is anywhere from 36-72 hours, 36 is on the low end. Eat small meals, more frequently, this will speed up your metabolism. If possible, sit in a Sauna, and workout. You want to sweat as much as possible, however stop working out 1-3 days prior. Also look into niacin, its a B vitamin and will flush out your system. Most tests do not test for bupe, most of the time they have to send it in to a lab, or specifically look for it. Oh yeah, drug testing questions are not allowed on BL. =]

- Hopeless Soul

Bupe's half-life is anywhere from 36-72 hours, 36 is on the low end. Eat small meals, more frequently, this will speed up your metabolism. If possible, sit in a Sauna, and workout. You want to sweat as much as possible, however stop working out 1-3 days prior. Also look into niacin, its a B vitamin and will flush out your system. Most tests do not test for bupe, most of the time they have to send it in to a lab, or specifically look for it. Oh yeah, drug testing questions are not allowed on BL. =]

- Hopeless Soul

Oh, my bad. I'll try to re-word it.

But hey, thanks for your answer. I can't really work out like that as I have heart problems and don't feel like dying. Slow and steady for me. But I'll look in to the Niacin. I do drink those stupid 5-hour energy things which has like 5,600mcg of B-12, so I'm not sure if that is helping at all. Not sure how much of that gets metabolized in liquid form.

It is sick how in some countries only replacement therapy drugs are those with extremely long half life... Like they actually want to hook up one better, so he/she doesn't leave. Is it really possible that morphine is no where allowed in states? I recommend people to check the situation from time to time, b/c it seems even here in europe they do not really advertise new things when they are introduced as therapy medicine, so many, or most people are not aware of availability of these. That would be another sick thing in most of the countries I am aware of.

For example everyone here seem surprised when they hear what I receive for replacement therapy. I neither actually met someone who was aware of the possibility I use, nor have I read somewhere about it. I presume owners of pharmaceutical companies don't want to lose money, so they don't want people to walk away from their current therapy.
Buprenorphine seems to be bad, or not so (although I would avoid it only b/c of its long HL.), but is still better option than methadon I believe, although I have no personal experience with bupe.

Last edited:
The metabolization varies from person to person. You can find niacin (vitamin b3), at most stores, (walmart, walgreens, CVC ect.) Also their are detox drinks that you can get, that work quite well. Most head shops carry them, or you can find them online. If you can't workout, and don't have access to a sauna, sit in the bathroom, with the shower water running as hot as possible. It will help to flush your system as long as it gets steamy and causes you to sweat.

- Hopeless Soul

@ ###, you're right about that. The whole suboxone scene is geared more towards profits, than actually helping addictcs. This is evident when people are overly prescribed and on them for years. Suboxone is most effective with a quick taper, its meant to be used for a short period of time, not years. Now some drs may be ignorant to this fact, but I would think a lot of them knoww exactly what they're doing!

- Hopeless Soul

@ ###, you're right about that. The whole suboxone scene is geared more towards profits, than actually helping addictcs. This is evident when people are overly prescribed and on them for years. Suboxone is most effective with a quick taper, its meant to be used for a short period of time, not years. Now some drs may be ignorant to this fact, but I would think a lot of them knoww exactly what they're doing!

- Hopeless Soul

qft. I was prescribed 16mg a day for two years. I still used cocaine though. I had all these emotional and mental problems that were not addressed by the prescribing doctor, and no other doctor would help me because I was on sub. I finally went off it and promptly relapsed due to the never ending withdrawals from bupe. I personally believe a fast taper with a full agonist in a detox ward is the best way to limit your withdrawals, then right to rehab after detox so you can learn to live without the drug.

- Hopeless Soul

It's paranoid and inaccurate to argue that by keeping patients on longer drug replacement therapy, doctors are betraying their greed at the expense of patient recovery. The huge majority of recently conducted research on duration of bupe treatment is pretty clear: patients tend to do better after long periods on suboxone than they do after short periods. Here's one article that I grabbed off of a casual pubmed search for open access articles on the topic:

Shah, A. S., Young, J., & Vieira, K. (2014). Long-term suboxone treatment and its benefit on long-term remission for opiate dependence.
Journal of Psychiatry: Open Access, 2014.

Normally I wouldn't bother writing this. But I just started suboxone treatment for the first time. A big part of why it took me so long (a year of miserable failed quitting attempts) is the paranoia that's so common on this topic.

Long-term drug replacement therapy in conjunction with intensive counseling and/or therapy has shown itself to give far and away the best odds at lasting recovery.
Let's (the BL community) give people information based on valid research, not on vaguely founded suspicions; we can do better than that.

It's paranoid and inaccurate to argue that by keeping patients on longer drug replacement therapy, doctors are betraying their greed at the expense of patient recovery. The huge majority of recently conducted research on duration of bupe treatment is pretty clear: patients tend to do better after long periods on suboxone than they do after short periods. Here's one article that I grabbed off of a casual pubmed search for open access articles on the topic:

Shah, A. S., Young, J., & Vieira, K. (2014). Long-term suboxone treatment and its benefit on long-term remission for opiate dependence.
Journal of Psychiatry: Open Access, 2014.

Normally I wouldn't bother writing this. But I just started suboxone treatment for the first time. A big part of why it took me so long (a year of miserable failed quitting attempts) is the paranoia that's so common on this topic.

Long-term drug replacement therapy in conjunction with intensive counseling and/or therapy has shown itself to give far and away the best odds at lasting recovery.
Let's (the BL community) give people information based on valid research, not on vaguely founded suspicions; we can do better than that.

Technically you are both right, so no need to argue. Suboxone can be used either short term or long term, it depends on the person. A person with no major history of addiction who just recently got caught up in the drug scene could use Suboxone short term to ween off the harder shit, and then subsequently ween off Suboxone shortly after, would be prescribed a short term supply. But this is ideal for a person not at risk of relapse. A person who has the will power or magic powers or whatever it takes to stay away from the drugs.

But for a person who is at risk of relapse without having SOMETHING in their system, then Suboxone is used for years. The thinking of most doctors being, "I'd rather keep this person on suboxone than have them go back to heroin or oxy or whatever they came from."

I know I'm making it sound like doctors actually care whereas the general consensus of people is that they just work for big pharma and don't really give a shit, but not all doctors are assholes. Some of them actually care about the health of their patients. After all, the best high a person can actually get naturally is when they help another person and that person is genuinely grateful. The feeling of doing the right thing and making someone's day can't be bought. So I'm pretty sure that a lot of doctors enjoy being helpful.

I do agree that long term suboxone use will help keep addicts from relapsing. However when the time comes to finally be 100% substance free, the suboxone patient is in for one hell of a battle! This jump can lead to relapse.

- Hopeless Soul

^^
no argument there. i'm terrified of that day myself! but meanwhile, i'm really glad to be taking things at my own pace.

I do agree that long term suboxone use will help keep addicts from relapsing. However when the time comes to finally be 100% substance free, the suboxone patient is in for one hell of a battle! This jump can lead to relapse.

- Hopeless Soul
Which fucking relapse, they are on it all the time. It is not H, so what? It has a different name, but is opioid, partial agonist, but also the stronger one. People get decently high until tolerance.
Buprenorphine is not better than H. Partial agonist sounds maybe sounds to someone like it is only a 'partial drug', and that is wrong.

As another guy mentioned, it is easier, or at least better (better b/c it won't fuck one's metabolism that much) to come off a 2 times per day snorting H habit (He said full agonist, but the point is in the half life.), than being on bupe 0-24, seven days in week having steady, constant stream of bupe to one's blood. Maybe try searching this forum and find out how poeple feel after coming of a long term suboxone tretment.

For the case I wasn't clear enough, I am not agains long term (even life long) treatment option, some people need it, maybe even I do, for differnt reason, and it helps. I am against using drugs with crazy long half life, and also against SR, ER tablets of opiates which don't have long half life, but with it one at least has a possibility to break SR/ER mechanism, but you can not 'break' Metahod or Buprenorphine half life. Providing your body hormones or opioids non stop is unnatural, and will fuck up your body chemistry more than 'regular' shooting. Regarding SR/ER tablets, I have read somewhere that such tablets are more expensive (To produce, but also b/c of patents involved), so that too is a material for thinking about.

I take immediate release morphine, usually two times per day, but with higher dose I can get trough the day with only one (if taken orally, what I usually do.). Taking so much is not what I do (Dont want to feel sick and damage myself intentionally.). I have mentioned it because lot of people unfortunately do that, even with Methadon and Bupe, with benzos on top of that.
Our body doesn't produce/release hormones 0-24, and in case of opiates there is no single reason to do that (make it stream to our blood continuously) to our bodies.

Urge to make money is the primary characteristic of powerful people, people who create rules for us, and are behind all important decisions, laws, etc. No paranoia here. Your family taught you different(? Well me too.), than I can assume you are from a middle class family, and part of the world, or at least area where people think we live in righteous world, believe in human rights, united nations etc.

@7nos-SS373dOH sorry for 'fucking' etc. Didn't want to to be or sound rude...

Which fucking relapse, they are on it all the time. It is not H, so what? It has a different name, but is opioid, partial agonist, but also the stronger one. People get decently high until tolerance.
Buprenorphine is not better than H. Partial agonist sounds maybe sounds to someone like it is only a 'partial drug', and that is wrong.

thats a lovely opinion but just because you dont consider it any better doesnt mean it is not.
plenty of people take these meds and have huge lifestyle changes, are engaged with a medical team and addiction counsellors and are actively working to break the cycle of addiction.
addiction is not just take a drug and not be able to stop its far more complex than that for many people.

bupe and H are not inherently any different they are just drugs. but its how one goes about getting, taking and maintaining that which is largely changed with a long term maintenance program.

and i say this as someone who kicked both with and without bupe. i took bupe and it almost killed me, but i am still in favour of supporting people any way they choose to reduce harmful substance behaviour.

@7nos-SS373dOH sorry for 'fucking' etc. Didn't want to to be or sound rude...
You're good bro, I normally don't get offended because someone has a different opinion than me.

And you're right, people on suboxone technically aren't 100% clean. They're still dependant on a substance. And while problems certainly will arise when patients try to quit suboxone, it still is a valuable drug. While people aren't 100% substance free, at least they're not waiting on the street in the ghetto, snorting/shooting unknown chemicals, and not out robbing and stealing from people to fund their habit. I honestly think the financial struggle to maintain ones habit, is the worst effect of opiate use. If opiates were legalized, low priced, and purity was regulated, one could maintain a habit with little to no repercussions. But hey, that's just my humble opinion.

- Hopeless Soul

@7nos-SS373dOH, thanks. Well it looks to me that we mainly, or even completely agree. What you mentioned is a big plus, I just criticized another aspect of replacement therapy business.

Jump to tldr; it too long.
Although there is also another dark side of it (But I wouldn't use it as an actual argument. There are two sides of the story.), because lot of those, who are probably majority, and who actually don't need opiates (while I believe I mostly do), who started doing it just for fun, and now feel trapped. Where I am from to be a junky, a heroin iv addict means something totally different than in western Europe, and better parts of USA I believe, although in USA there are areas maybe even worse than where I am from.

Why am I telling you this. Well because most of people, also bad asses, very bad, and even dangerous people, people without moral principles, stop taking H, when they run out of money. Only small percentage is enough capable, and / or willing to make so much money to 'feed' their addiction. You will hardly find this in western EU for example, simply because people can find money much easier, not to mention replacement therapy (which didn't exist back than, where I am from.). In order to shoot H every day 'Zoka' needed 100 € per day. And again in order to score that he would stay up in 7, go out at 8, to came back 'home' at around 10 PM, and than to search for a vein in eyelid area for an hour or so. His host was a fucking lunatic, also addict who beaten old people,a and children with baseball bat, although he had done it before he became an addict. During all that time 'Zoka' would steal actually. Here people get their pills from a clinic, sell them, beg for a while in underground station and such, and they are good.

In USA there is a strange situation, how I see it. Because it seems it is incredibly easy to find a job or even two. I believe 'Zoka' wouldn't mind if he had to do something else, instead of stealing, while being on his legs 14 h (no pause), although he would mind less money.

So tldr, only few people are ready to do a real mess in order to get dope or whatever. So, without maintenance clinics most of people would simply become clean.
But me, I am happy there is a such thing as a replacement therapy. There are people who really need opiates to feel normal, to manage pain, and unfortunately the only option for them, or us, is the therapy.

@withlove it isn't just lovely, but totally different issue than the one you came with. Of course there are positive sides of replacement therapies, it is just I wasn't talking about them?!

Last edited:
Ok, trusty Bluelight, I don't ask a lot of questions typically, but here's a quick one that I can't find an answer to.

So, like a dumb ass, I took some Suboxone this past weekend and now I'm worried about my health. And before anyone says anything like "Suboxone is garbage, do real drugs," well the reason I don't do better shit is because I'm trying to get clean, but I technically shouldn't be taking Suboxone either because I'm not prescribed.

So here's my scenario... Just this past Friday I got my hands on an 8mg strip. I split it with my girl and even gave her more, so I had roughly 3mg worth of Bupe. Then, the next day on Saturday (roughly 20 hours later) we got another Sub in pill form. This time I took even less, only did a quarter so that was 2mg.

This coming Wednesday (2 days from now) I have to check my health and I have no idea exactly what method they'll use to test me. It's a total guess. The only reason I even took the Bupe is because people had it in my head that it wouldn't interfere with anything important.

I know Bupe has a 36 hour half life, which is fucking retarded. I estimate it would be cut in half 2.5 times by the time I have to take the test because from Saturday I'll have ~90 hours of clean time. So let's just factor the 5mg all together. By today I should be down to ~2.5mg in my system, by late Tuesday I should be down to ~1.25mg, and then by the time I actually check my health on Wednesday I should be under 1mg left in my system, hopefully as low as possible.

So here's the inevitable question... is there a way to speed the process of getting Bupe out of your system? I read an article online a month or so ago that mentioned some supplement that kind of boosts metabolism I think, but for the life of me I can't find it again.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? Whether they be supplements or verifiable home remedies even? Thanks in advance for any serious replies.

Apologies - maybe it's because 01.07 am here in the UK but I'm slightly confused by this question/ post. What capacity do you mean by "check your health?" I am assuming that taking buprenorphine n naloxone won't have an impact on health, obviously I do not know this for definite, but I doubt they'd prescribe a drug like this to millions of addicts if it impacted on people's health in a negative degree.

If you are indicating avoiding drug-testing then I cannot answer that, even if I was aware of how do so, as it's against the rules.

There is not much to go on here to fully answer this. For instance - were you addicted to or dependent on any opiate before taking bupe? Do you have any health issues that you feel Buprenorphine or naloxone would impact upon? Anyone whom is opiate-naive or not addicted to opiates, should really stay away from suboxone as it's geared to help addicts deal with, and try to, overcome their addiction. It is a potent medication n can have negative side affects if you're not used to opiates such as nausea n drowsiness. I am unsure of the potential for overdose n so would not like to mention this for fear of misinformation.

I am interested in why you are trying to get this drug out of your system before your medical? Would it not be better to be honest about your drug use? Or could this get you in trouble in a legal capacity, in your country?

I'm sorry I can't help you further at present, but unless there's more information I cannot make assumptions, would not like to give misinformation n would rather give as accurate n as helpful advice as I possibly can.

Wishing you all this very best,

Evey