• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Question on opioid/opiate tolerance

Insect Calm

Greenlighter
Hi! This is my first post and thread here. Been lurking for a while, but registered now since I couldn't find any answer from googling. Please be nice, couldn't find an appropriate thread to post in so made my own.

I'm not a hugely experienced user when it comes to opioids, I buy a small amount of opioids maybe two times each year (have tried both weaker substances such as codeine, ethyl-morphine and such as well as stronger ones like oxycodone). I like the typical opioid high and have always gotten relatively mild side effects, but for some reason I seem to have an extraordinary tolerance to them.

I recently did 40mg of oxycodone (first time i've taken any opioid for about a year) and the effects werent that powerful, even though I mixed with 0.45mg of flunitrazepam. I've taken rather heavy doses for someone with no tolerance who uses them very seldom and sporadically without getting very strong effects. Only a few times have I gotten strong effects, but have you guys any idea why this might be? For example I don't buy tramadol because the doses I need to get even moderatly high have felt dangerously close to cramping doses (around 500mg+). I've never read about anyone who naturally has such a high tolerance, so i'm curious about your thoughts on the matter.

Since I'm not very experienced with opioids I usually take small doses in intervals and try to work my way up to a pleasurable high, rather like with dissociatives. This is the only reason I can think of, but I don't wait very long between refills if I don't get a strong effect so the concentration should still add up to almost the same as if taken all at once or have I missed something here?
I can also add that I'm a not very heavy (about 65kg and 183cm in length) and haven't got a ''naturally'' high tolerance to any other substances except alcohol (which is because that's what I consume the most).

Hey man, as far as people with innate tolerances to Opioids, I am one such person. I can easily consume 200mg Oxycodone in a sitting. I've done it many times, as I've lived in areas with laissez-faire attitudes towards pharmacy control. It can have to do greatly with an individual's enzyme activity. For instance, Codeine has nil effect upon me. If I take several grams, it can be enough to arrest severe withdrawal symptoms, but that's it. Oxycodone, being a bit stronger, still has little effect upon me.

Morphine and the -Morphones effect me in a more predictable way, although I still have a higher than normal tolerance to them.

Have you experienced positive effects from Oxycodone in the past? You might just need to reach for something different.

Natural tolerance. People with natural tolerance to opioids tend to be more likely to become addicted.

I am one of those people.

The VERY FIRST TIME I ever took any opioid was for mild overall body pains from years of athletic activity and related injuries. The drug was hydrocodone. I had heard about my fellow schoolmates and athletes taking hydrocodone for their pains so they could play a game with sprained ankles(I thought they were crazy) so I figured I would give it a try. I needed around 7-8 10mg Vicodin(70-80mgs) to get any pain relief....and at least 100mgs to feel any "good/euphoric" feelings. I found this odd because everyone else was only taking 5-20 mgs for pain relief or even to get high.

That intrigued me, so I did some research and came to the conclusion that I must have been born with a naturally high tolerance. I soon learned that my tolerance applied to ALL opiod medications/drugs....so it wasn't just a weird thing with me and hydrocodone alone.

It didn't take long for me to become dependent...then addicted...then I found myself reaching for the needle. So fast. So if someone thinks they have a natural tolerance...beware.

I'm not sure why people with a natural high tolerance would be more prone to addiction? I think human beings, in general, are often just prone to addiction regardless of their natural tolerance level.

I quickly became addicted and I had a very low natural tolerance to begin with. I remember 5mg of Vicodin completely rocking my world the first time I tried it.