• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Question: Can I take Methadone at night after taking Gabapentin and Benzos earlier in the day?

Mayo_Tree

Bluelighter
I preface this by saying that the effects of everything I took earlier in the day have pretty much worn off.

I took my Gabapentin this morning (3900mg's), and had anxiety during the day, so I popped 30mg's of Oxazepam. The latter is a benzo with a short half-life, I believe.

Anyways, my opiate withdrawals are beginning to surface again, as the other drugs wear off. I'm thinking of dosing some methadone for the night.

Is this "okay?" My methadone dose would be not more than 20ml. I'm even thinking of only dosing 10ml, since I'm supposed to be tapering down.

Be careful Benzo methadone synergy can be very strong.

Definitely. I've been reading up on here about people who do this combo. From what I've gleaned, it's highly unadvisable, and yet everyone sort of does it, haha.... (in much higher doses too, than what I plan on doing). But yeah, I'm thinking a small amount, or even 20ml wouldn't be too bad.

I'll start with 10ml, which I doubt I'll even feel, honestly.

Also please remember it takes methadone a bit of time on the come up.. so please take that into consideration

2.5 to 4 hours for peak levels

@Mayo_Tree

No worries, I'm totally aware of that. I dosed around 8:15pm. Not expecting to feel anything until like 10:15pm, perhaps. That's okay, because the withdrawals during the night have been feirce, I wake up with anxiety, heart pounding. I realized at some point that it was withdrawal related, and started taking some Oxy before bed, which seemed to help a lot.

So, having a bit of 'done in my system at night might be a good thing, I dunno. I'll give it a shot and see what happens, I guess.

No worries, I'm totally aware of that. I dosed around 8:15pm. Not expecting to feel anything until like 10:15pm, perhaps. That's okay, because the withdrawals during the night have been feirce, I wake up with anxiety, heart pounding. I realized at some point that it was withdrawal related, and started taking some Oxy before bed, which seemed to help a lot.

So, having a bit of 'done in my system at night might be a good thing, I dunno. I'll give it a shot and see what happens, I guess.
what's your situation with the opiate withdraws if you want to share?

what's your situation with the opiate withdraws if you want to share?

Well, this is my third time getting hooked, and my third time coming off them. Last two times I had Suboxone, and it was easy as pie to taper down. That stuff is seriously efficient, imo, for getting off opiates. But, this time, I don't have any Suboxone, I have Methadone instead, at my disposal. So.... I use what I have.

It's quite possible that my nervous system is shot, I don't know. Maybe withdrawal manifests differently with me. Like, they often start with anxiety, in addition to the weird "I feel like I'm starting to have a cold" type feeling. Runny nose, always cold, the sweats.... that sort of thing. But then I get the panic in my gut, and it threatens to trigger a bad panic attack, usually at night, while I'm trying to sleep.

Last night was the best I've slept in a long time. When I went to bed I had a bit of that "noddy" feeling, so I think that really helped. The last three nights have been progressively better, but prior to that, I hadn't slept well in weeks.

Well, this is my third time getting hooked, and my third time coming off them. Last two times I had Suboxone, and it was easy as pie to taper down. That stuff is seriously efficient, imo, for getting off opiates. But, this time, I don't have any Suboxone, I have Methadone instead, at my disposal. So.... I use what I have.

It's quite possible that my nervous system is shot, I don't know. Maybe withdrawal manifests differently with me. Like, they often start with anxiety, in addition to the weird "I feel like I'm starting to have a cold" type feeling. Runny nose, always cold, the sweats.... that sort of thing. But then I get the panic in my gut, and it threatens to trigger a bad panic attack, usually at night, while I'm trying to sleep.

Last night was the best I've slept in a long time. When I went to bed I had a bit of that "noddy" feeling, so I think that really helped. The last three nights have been progressively better, but prior to that, I hadn't slept well in weeks.
have you taken methadone before

have you taken methadone before

Yeah, I've experimented with it a few times. Picked up a bottle here and there. Never really used it to the point of peak blood accumulation/saturation. That happens after 5-7 days of continuous use, right? When I had a bottle, I only dosed sporadically. Like, I'd dose once in the morning, then have some Oxy at night. Might do that the second day, and then lay off the Methadone for a week while I did something else.

This time, I have enough at my disposal to actually take it regularly for a while if I wanted. Since I have no more Oxy or Hydromorph-Contin, my idea is that I can use Methadone to cut down eventually. Switch to it for a bit, then taper down.

I have three-and-a-half bottles. I could maybe do it with one though.... I'm not sure. Not sure if I have that much willpower either.

But, the cardiotoxicity of Methadone scares me.

Yeah, I've experimented with it a few times. Picked up a bottle here and there. Never really used it to the point of peak blood accumulation/saturation. That happens after 5-7 days of continuous use, right? When I had a bottle, I only dosed sporadically. Like, I'd dose once in the morning, then have some Oxy at night. Might do that the second day, and then lay off the Methadone for a week while I did something else.

This time, I have enough at my disposal to actually take it regularly for a while if I wanted. Since I have no more Oxy or Hydromorph-Contin, my idea is that I can use Methadone to cut down eventually. Switch to it for a bit, then taper down.

I have three-and-a-half bottles. I could maybe do it with one though.... I'm not sure. Not sure if I have that much willpower either.

But, the cardiotoxicity of Methadone scares me.
I'm not sure about the cardio toxicity of Methadone, I have read some studies on it, but it's a hell of a drug. imho a different beast then subs.

Here is some good info on it. Sometimes people can short hand it because its a recovery medication, but the reason its a recovery medication is its more powerful then what we are looking to ditch,

check out the pain management book quoted here for an idea how significant it is.

Also, from personal experience as well as what you have posted.. lots of people end up on Methadone and Benzos.. its got to be one of the strongest combinations of all time. Its also one of the most miserable and difficult things to detox from.. just a heads up.

I'm not sure about the cardio toxicity of Methadone, I have read some studies on it, but it's a hell of a drug. imho a different beast then subs.

Here is some good info on it. Sometimes people can short hand it because its a recovery medication, but the reason its a recovery medication is its more powerful then what we are looking to ditch,

check out the pain management book quoted here for an idea how significant it is.

Also, from personal experience as well as what you have posted.. lots of people end up on Methadone and Benzos.. its got to be one of the strongest combinations of all time. Its also one of the most miserable and difficult things to detox from.. just a heads up.

Yeah, I hear ya. Thing is, I've been on benzos since 2017. I can't just come off them, or I'll have withdrawal from them too. I've been slowly tapering though, and usually I only take half a 15mg pill (I'm prescribed one pill 15mg per day, but I cut them in half). As a result, I often have at least a few on the side in case a bigger dose is needed, then I taper back down to half asap.

When I've been taking Methadone, usually I'll even break a piece off the half so it's more like a big quarter of a half-a-pill. To try and cut down, using the methadone to my advantage.

Thanks for the info, I'll check itout for sure. Hypogonadism, huh? Geez, it seems like my groin area has been more active (against my will or desire, lol) than I have! Some weirdness been happening down there since taking opiates, if I can be candid. Lolz.... my wife doesn't mind. xD

"Hypogonadism, huh? Geez, it seems like my groin area has been more active (against my will or desire, lol) than I have! Some weirdness been happening down there since taking opiates, if I can be candid. Lolz.... my wife doesn't mind. xD"

Much of this is in reference for chronic treatment or use.. good to know though so you can try and avoid getting there.

"Hypogonadism, huh? Geez, it seems like my groin area has been more active (against my will or desire, lol) than I have! Some weirdness been happening down there since taking opiates, if I can be candid. Lolz.... my wife doesn't mind. xD"

Much of this is in reference for chronic treatment or use.. good to know though so you can try and avoid getting there.

Yeah, for real. Definitely will try.

Update on my state: Methadone has kicked in, I think. I don't feel the opiate, but it seems to have brought back the Benzo effects. Interesting...
Withdrawals have subsided, I believe. Feeling more normal.

Yeah, for real. Definitely will try.

Update on my state: Methadone has kicked in, I think. I don't feel the opiate, but it seems to have brought back the Benzo effects. Interesting...
Withdrawals have subsided, I believe. Feeling more normal.

Second update: Pretty sedated. It's like the Benzos came back. Feel like I could sleep and drool all over myself, lol.

Don't know if that's a good thing. It's a good thing I didn't take more than I did. Hope all goes well, all things considered.

Guess I'll find out. Not putting much faith in Narcan or whatever. Fuck it. No Narcan. Whatever happens, happens.

Lord have mercy on my soul, and my wretched deceitful heart. Either way...

@neversickanymore thanks for the little back-and-forth, it was pleasant.