• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Question about suboxone. About to go to dentist

Vinxy

Greenlighter
Hey guys need your help really quick. My subutex DR told me its OK to get off the subs for my oral surgery as I will be needing the pain pills. Took my last sun dose last nite around 10/11pm. How long to wait untill i can take something like hydro or oxy? On my way to dentist now.

Thanks in advance

Probably should just ask your Dentist. He/she probably has other patients that take subs. And prescribes pain pills to them when warranted.

We don't know you, your personal health, how long you have been on subs or what he might give you for pain. How many mgs. did you take last night?

It's almost 9 now so maybe you will see this before you leave the Dentist. If you do .....just ask him what he thinks.

Either way I guess it would be a good idea to wait at least 24 hours. Don't wanna be throwing up after a dental appointment. Especially if you get an extraction. Going into PW would not be fun at all.

Probably should just ask your Dentist. He/she probably has other patients that take subs. And prescribes pain pills to them when warranted.

We don't know you, your personal health, how long you have been on subs or what he might give you for pain. How many mgs. did you take last night?

It's almost 9 now so maybe you will see this before you leave the Dentist. If you do .....just ask him what he thinks.

Either way I guess it would be a good idea to wait at least 24 hours. Don't wanna be throwing up after a dental appointment. Especially if you get an extraction. Going into PW would not be fun at all.
Around 6-8mg through out the day yesterday last dose was probably 2 or less MG. Sub DR told me last time wait at least 12. I'm just scared about the PW's but also at the time I was only takin 2mg a day. Anybody with experience on this situation? And yes I am getting an extraction. Can not ask the dentist. Wife and daughter in back with me and they do not know about the SUBS.

thank you everyone

You have a wife that doesn't know you take subs? Interesting.

You take them for what purpose may I ask. Are they scripted? Buy off the street ? I get why your wife wouldn't know if buying off street but if you are on Maintenance that seems odd.

Since it's a big secret and you can't ask your dentist...........just do what you think is best. Nobody can give you a better answer than just wait 24 hours.

If you only wait 12..........well. What can we say ?

You took 8 mgs throughout the day yesterday but normally only take 2 ? Took extra because you had a toothache?

Most people will say wait at least 24 hours before you take a narcotic pain med. That's about all we can really tell ya. Good luck.

You have a wife that doesn't know you take subs? Interesting.

You take them for what purpose may I ask. Are they scripted? Buy off the street ? I get why your wife wouldn't know if buying off street but if you are on Maintenance that seems odd.

Since it's a big secret and you can't ask your dentist...........just do what you think is best. Nobody can give you a better answer than just wait 24 hours.

If you only wait 12..........well. What can we say ?

You took 8 mgs throughout the day yesterday but normally only take 2 ? Took extra because you had a toothache?

Most people will say wait at least 24 hours before you take a narcotic pain med. That's about all we can really tell ya. Good luck.
Been on hydro/Oxy for 10 years everything scripted from DR. Fam thought I stopped subs over a year ago. That's what I'm trying to hide.
Thank you for the advice though. I guess I will try to wait long as can before I can't withstand the pain?

I would never tell any dentist or regular doctor I take subs no matter what if I want any chance in hell of getting opioids during a trauma or severe illness for the rest of my life.

The medical estaishment under dea pressure only allows for the treatment of addiction or pain as it stands...not both. So choose one.

Definitely not ideal medicine or the safest thing especially for people without a pharmacology background but as a chronic pain patient that's how I approach it....I will never seek treatment for addiction or any mental illness for that matter no matter what. I'm apparently a "chosen one" that gets to have opioids prescribed and nothing will ever interrupt that like saying I have mental problems like addiction.

Last edited:
To The original question; i'll wait 4-6days before going to dentist IF i would know For sure they'll give me proper painkillers(oxy, morphine etc). If you cannot wait,take Lyrica. it work wonders with pain and anxiety, also little dose of ketamine would help but i am not a professional so please take My advices with vaurion😉

My recommendation (if I were a pain doc) would be to stay on the subs and use ketamine for the dental surgery. It's the only strong painkiller besides fentanyl which also works while on bupe and is a hella lot less dangerous than that. Or read that some docs use N2O, that'd be another option.

There’s no problem with taking an opioid after Suboxone, besides weaker effect. No risk of precipitated WD.

-GC