• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Question about post-nasal drip/bronchitis as related to smoking cannabis

pazma

Bluelighter
Hey friends, just wanted to post a question about something I've been wondering about for a while, which is the connection between smoking cannabis increased mucus production. My whole life pretty much I've had a bit of a throat-clearing thing, where I feel like I have mucus in my throat pretty much all the time but it cleared up a lot in the last few years to the point where I didn't really notice it very often. (Sometimes I wonder if I could have acid reflux/GERD…I do experience frequent heartburn) Then in May, I developed bronchitis (after I made the stupid decision of smoking all day and staying up all night partying even though I felt a cold coming on). I stopped smoking for 3 weeks until I was breathing normally again and no longer constantly sounding like I smoke a pack a day (I don't smoke cigs by the way), then I started back up very infrequently and only using a water pipe so as to reduce further irritation/inflammation. But even months after my bronchitis cleared up, I continued having extreme mucus production that would worsen after smoking cannabis. At one point I would wake up every morning and it would be so hard to breathe until I had a steam shower and was able to hack it all up. It was also causing me to have an extremely sore throat almost every day. Later realized it felt more like it was coming from my nostrils and got a doctor's appointment. She prescribed me benadryl and flonase to use until it cleared up. It did get a lot better in that it was more thinned out and easier to cough up, but I was still bringing up tons of mucus every day, and when I called her again she just said to continue using the flonase until it improved. I would go through waves of not smoking for a while and then it would get better and then I would start smoking again; sometimes the smoking would aggravate it but other times it wouldn't at all. All through this I started hydrating myself more (almost excessively--I've developed a bit of an overactive bladder because of it) and trying to improve my diet to see if it would help which it did some but the PND still persisted to some extent. Currently I'm abroad and have no access to cannabis while I'm here, so I haven't smoked in almost a month. The PND is still somewhat present, but not as intensely as it was before. If I have a day where I don't drink as much water it gets a lot thicker/worse than if I'm consistently hydrated all day.

After the last 4-5 months, I've really started to feel like smoking cannabis contributes to increased mucus but at the same time, I've been smoking over 2 years and been a regular smoker for almost a year now, and I feel like I would have noticed this before if it really was related. Could it be related to the fact that I had bronchitis 4 months ago and smoked while my throat was healing?

TL;DR Wondering if there's any connection between smoking cannabis and increased mucus production (which is related to both bronchitis and post-nasal drip). Any other frequent cannabis smokers experience post-nasal drip like this? If so, do you find that smoking potentiates the problem or do you think it's mostly unrelated and that the cause is something else?